Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47433 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5139
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Halloween Music/Songs)
« Reply #375 on: August 15, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »
Man, now I'm hungry.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Aliens)
« Reply #376 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57:09 AM »
Today's list is aliens.  Here's the original one:

#47: Close Encounters of the Third Kind Aliens
#47: Max
#47: The Savage Dragon
#47: Ug the Bounty Hunter
#45: Admiral Ackbar
#45: Dick Solomon
#43: Audrey II
#43: Zorak
#42: The Greys
#39: Zim
#39: They
#39: Mork
#37: Starman
#37: Megatron
#36: Kosh Naranek
#35: Ignignokt and Err
#34: The Silver Surfer
#32: Allen the Alien
#32: Morbo the Annihilator
#29: Romanadvoratrelundar
#29: Klaatu
#29: Galactus
#27: Killer Klowns from Outer Space
#27: Salacious Crumb
#26: G�Kar
#25: ET, the Extra Terrestial
#23: King Ghidorah
#23: Thomas Jerome Newton
#22: The Master
#21: Christopher Johnson
#19: Worf
#19: The Martian Manhunter
#18: Yoda
#16: Q
#16: Londo Mollari
#15: Marvin the Martian
#14: Ford Prefect
#13 Optimus Prime
#12 Jabba the Hutt
#11 The Thing
#10: ALF
#9: Zaphod Beeblebrox
#8: The Doctor
#7: Dr. Zoidberg
#6: Predator
#5: Superman
#4: Kang and Kodos
#3: Xenomorphs
#2: Chewbacca
#1: Spock

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #377 on: August 16, 2011, 10:22:38 AM »
L.O.C. #42 - Top Aliens

Roger

Thoughts
I wouldn't watch this show if it weren't for Roger. Not that the other characters don't have their moments, but Roger steals the show more often than not thanks to his wacky antics…Sunday nights on FOX!

The Wiki
Roger is a character from the animated television series American Dad!. He is a space alien, reminiscent of the Roswell greys, and lives with the Smith family. Roger is sarcastic, amoral, self-centered, and hedonistic. He speaks in a swish intended to resemble Paul Lynde, and has a near-obsessive childlike affinity for role-playing various personas in his day to day life. He came to live with the Smith family after saving Stan Smith's life in Area 51 four years prior to the show beginning.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/q6yQIo4L5o0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/q6yQIo4L5o0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AtEy5LrvNVE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AtEy5LrvNVE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #378 on: August 16, 2011, 11:27:10 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 42 – Favourite Aliens

Yip Yips

The Yip Yips (also known as the Martians or aliens ) are characters on the popular children's television show Sesame Street. They are interplanetary visitors, from the planet Mars (in the first skit, as soon as they descend, their first words to each other are "...Not Mars." "Nope."). They marvel at devices such as clocks, telephones and computers. When frightened, each covers its face with the lower part of its jaw while making a distinctive "goom" noise.

In their skits, these creatures, with squid-like tentacles, large eyes, and antennae, materialize into a room and say, "Yip-yip-yip-yip... Uh-huh. Uh-huh", in monotone voices. They come across common objects and, curious as to their names and functions, the Yip Yips consult a book they call "Earth book" which presumably contains information about things on Earth. For example, in their first skit the Yip Yips try communicating with a telephone by common greetings such as "Hello", "Greetings", and "Hi there!" unsuccessfully. After each failure they say "nope nope nope". Next they address the phone as a cow, a cat, and then a chicken, only finally learning what it really is when it rings. They "ring" back at it with their voices, clearly pleased to have identified and established communication with it.

They are "Yip Yipped" by multiple muppeteers including Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Martin P. Robinson, and Kevin Clash. The puppets have a very simple design, controlled entirely by two rods (one for the body and eyes, the other for the front of the mouth). This allows their entire bodies to be seen on camera, appearing to float in the air.

The two Yip Yips seen most often are called "Bob" and "Joe". On the Dutch version, Sesamstraat, the Yip Yips are called "Sjoerd and Hendrik Marsman", referring to the early 20th century poet Hendrik Marsman. Note that in Dutch, Marsman does literally mean "Martian".

Personal thoughts:

Yipyipyipyipyipyipyipyip Uh-Huh Uh-Huh Yipyipyipyipyipyipyipyipyipyipyipyipyipyip

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KTc3PsW5ghQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KTc3PsW5ghQ</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #379 on: August 16, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »
Good call on Roger. My favorite American Dad episode is a Roger-Centric one. The one where one of his personas has taken on a clean-cut life of its own.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #380 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13:24 PM »
Good call on Roger. My favorite American Dad episode is a Roger-Centric one. The one where one of his personas has taken on a clean-cut life of its own.

Great Space Roaster. Great episode.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #381 on: August 16, 2011, 12:21:15 PM »

No, the Great Space Roaster is the one about Roger insisting that he be roasted, and then tries to murder the Smiths.  The one he's talking about is called "The One That Got Away" and it's one of my favourites too.  (Great Space Roaster is good too).

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #382 on: August 16, 2011, 12:29:38 PM »

No, the Great Space Roaster is the one about Roger insisting that he be roasted, and then tries to murder the Smiths.  The one he's talking about is called "The One That Got Away" and it's one of my favourites too.  (Great Space Roaster is good too).

Oh yeah, I think you're right. Great Space Roaster popped into my head because Roger fakes like he cleans up his act after the roast. But, yeah, it's not really one of his "personas".

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite 90's Songs)
« Reply #383 on: August 17, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »
Hey there folkies.  It's time to grunge out (that's what the kids like to do, right?) with 90's music.  Post your fave 90's songs.  Here's the original list:

#3 Votes!
Banditos - the Refreshments
Come to Daddy - Aphex Twin
Custom Concern
Dinosaur � King Crimson
Faithful � Go West
Homeboy - Adorable
In Bloom - Nirvana
Purple Sneakers � You Am I
Say It Ain�t So - Weezer
Silent All These Years � Tori Amos
The Good Life - Weezer
Walking on the Sun � Smash Mouth
You Do Something to Me � Paul Weller
#2 Votes!
Bizarre Love Triangle - Frente
Country House - Blur
Distant Sun �Crowded House
I�m Afraid of Americans � David Bowie
Inertia Creeps � Massive Attack
My Brain Hurts � The Screeching Weasels
My Favorite Game � The Cardigans
Mysterious Ways � U2
N.W.O. - Ministry
Ordinary World � Duran Duran
Say Something - James
Step On � Happy Mondays
Styrofoam boots/It�s All Nice on Ice, Alright? � Modest Mouse
Voodoo Doll � Red Elvises
#1 Votes
Albuquerque � �Weird� Al Yankovic
All Apologies - Nirvana
All Star � Smash Mouth
Another Cup of Coffee � Mike and the Mechanics
Black Metallic � Catherine Wheel
Doing the Unstuck � The Cure
Don�t Look Back in Anger - Oasis
High Hopes � Pink Floyd
I Heard Ramona Sing � Frank Black
Inbetweener - Sleeper
Mamasita � The Red Elvises
Song No. 2 - Blur
The Lights � Spock�s Brain
The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite � R.E.M.

#17: Run-Around � Blues Traveller
#16: Tubthumping � Chumbawumba
#16: Creep - Radiohead
#15: I�m Gonna Be (500 Miles) � the Pretenders
#14: Inside Out � Eve 6
#13 Today � Smashing Pumpkins
#12 Barbie Girl - Aqua
#11you�re your Hair - Pavement
#10: I Want You � Savage Garden
#9: I Love You Always Forever � Donna Lewis
#9: Buddy Holly - Weezer
#8: The Drugs Don�t Work- the Verve
#8: The Birdhouse in Your Soul � They Might Be Giants
#7: Stay � Shakespeare�s Sister
#6: Lightning Crashes - Live
#6: Plowed - Sponge
#5: Alive � Pearl Jam
#4: Wonderwall - Oasis
#4: Brian Wilson � Barenaked Ladies
#4: Cannonball � The Breeders   
#3: Ordinary World � Duran Duran
#2: Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
#1: Sabotage � The Beastie Boys

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #384 on: August 17, 2011, 03:59:06 PM »
L.O.C. #43 - Top 90's Songs

Thoughts
Here's another original list with some serious issues, in my opinion. There are a lot of wrongs that need to be righted. No Soundgarden? No Primus? No Rage Against the Machine? No Green Day? No Tool? No Foo Fighters? No Red Hot Chili Peppers? And no Alice in Chains?!? Are you kidding me? Anyway, I'll go ahead and right one of those wrongs with an absolutely kick-ass tune from a legendary band.

The Wiki
"Would?" is a single by grunge band Alice in Chains. The song first appeared on the soundtrack to the 1992 movie Singles, in which the members of Alice in Chains make a cameo appearance and later appeared on the band's album Dirt, also released in 1992.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IGOrBx9jc3M?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IGOrBx9jc3M?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #385 on: August 17, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »
A rare twofer from me for today
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 43 – Favourite 90’s Songs

Chemical Bomb – The Aquabats

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-EvHAhK8J7k" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-EvHAhK8J7k</a>   
 Personal thoughts:

Wicked awesome song, and one of the darker ones by the usually light-hearted and fun-lovin’ Aquabats.  I have a friend who worked in a coffee shop and he was aloud to put on his own music as long as it was calm and swear-free.  He loved watching people who caught onto the lyrics that were coming out of this mellow sounding song.

Hello Good Night – The Aquabats

[/center]               
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/839xAD5AzG0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/839xAD5AzG0</a>   
 Personal thoughts:

From an unusual dark song from this band to a surprisingly melancholy one.  I can’t put my finger one it, but I kind of tear up a little when I hear me.  Don’t judge me.  DON’T YOU JUDGE ME!

Looking forward to the Aquabats TV show.  Also just learned today that the Front Man is also the co-creator of Yo Gabba Gabba.  So that’s pretty hip.  Also, I think it’s cool that Mark Mothersbaugh occasionally appears on the show, since the Aquabats owe something to DEVO (it’s even mentioned in the song Play Dough).

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #386 on: August 17, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »
Damn there is a song that's really 90s and was written in 93 but not released until 02. Alas.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #387 on: August 17, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »
Damn there is a song that's really 90s and was written in 93 but not released until 02. Alas.

That's good enough for Rest of the Best. Post that shit!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #388 on: August 17, 2011, 05:11:18 PM »
OK I'm going to post this and just leave it here. I think it's telling that it works well with a show that's mostly from the 90s (well half from the 90s  literarly but still feels very 90s even in the 00s) too. I could do the original vid but I like fan made musical tributes, moviemaker is the ardent fangirl's friend ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zunjGFTfbM8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zunjGFTfbM8</a>
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:16:08 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #389 on: August 17, 2011, 05:50:52 PM »
I dig that song. It's kind of a novelty song, but it also legitimately rocks quite a bit.