login

Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47384 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5137
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Animated Movies)
« Reply #300 on: August 03, 2011, 09:36:37 AM »
Fixed the Kitty.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #301 on: August 03, 2011, 09:38:51 AM »
I am still so glad that The Incredibles made it to #1 on that poll. Awesome movie!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #302 on: August 03, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »
L.O.C. #29 - Top Animated Films

Thoughts
What an incredibly cool looking movie with some great, eccentric performances. I found this compelling for a number of reasons; it not only it looks cool, but it also delivers a trippy, interesting story and some damn good acting.

The Wiki
A Scanner Darkly is a 2006 rotoscoped film directed by Richard Linklater based on the novel of the same name by Philip K. Dick. The film tells the story of identity and deception in a near-future dystopia constantly under intrusive high-technology police surveillance in the midst of a drug addiction epidemic. The movie was filmed digitally and then animated using interpolated rotoscope over the original footage, giving it its distinctive look. The film was written and directed by Linklater and stars Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Woody Harrelson, Robert Downey, Jr., and Rory Cochrane.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cxXg0t59IDE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cxXg0t59IDE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #303 on: August 03, 2011, 01:57:45 PM »
I was unavailable yesterday, so I missed the Halloween list. Therefore, I'm posting this now, because to not post it at all would have just been wrong.

LoC Rest of the Best - Day 28 – Favorite Halloween Movies

Trick 'r Treat

The Wiki:
The film is an anthology of four Halloween-related scary stories. One thing that ties the stories together is the presence of Sam (Quinn Lord), a mysterious pint-sized trick-or-treater wearing shabby orange pajamas with a burlap sack over his head. He makes an appearance in all the stories as a 'friendly-reminder' to those who break Halloween traditions.

Despite only a handful of public screenings, the film has been reviewed extensively by online journalists and bloggers, especially in the genre/horror communities, and reviews are nearly unanimously positive. Dread Central gave it 5 out of 5 stars and stated "Trick 'r Treat ranks alongside John Carpenter's Halloween as traditional October viewing and I can't imagine a single horror fan that won't fall head over heels in love with it." The film earned 10 out of 10 from Ryan Rotten of ShockTilYouDrop.com. It also earned an 8 out of 10 from Bloody Disgusting, who later ranked the film ninth in their list of the 'Top 20 Horror Films of the Decade', with the article saying, "[It's] so good that its lack of a theatrical release borders on the criminal." IGN attended a screening of the film and concluded, "This well-crafted Halloween horror tribute is a scary blast.", rating it 8 out of 10 overall. Based on 17 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an overall approval rating from critics of 88%, with an average score of 7.7/10.

Personal thoughts:
I think the only reason this didn't make the original list is because it wasn't (widely) released until just before the list started. That's actually got to be the reason, as this is the perfect Halloween movie. No other film better captures the spirit of the holiday, and this one just feels so right for the day that nothing else really will do (even the original Halloween, with minor tweaking, could take place on pretty much any other holiday (as the legion of copycats showed in earnest). Not this one). That it's also a damn fine and enjoyable horror movie is also good reason to keep it around. I love love love this movie, and hope to be able to see it on the big screen surrounded by fans one Halloween day (shoot, I'll take any day for this one).

I don't plan on having kids, but if I did, they're going to be dressed as Sam come Halloween.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wUqsXvBAqRY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US]" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wUqsXvBAqRY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US]</a>

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #304 on: August 03, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 29 – Favorite Animted Films
Cats Don't Dance

Wiki:
Cats Don't Dance is a 1997 animated musical film, notable as the only fully animated feature produced by Turner Entertainment's feature animation unit (later merged into Warner Bros. Animation, Turner Feature Animation had also produced the animated portions of The Pagemaster in 1994). The film was distributed by Warner Bros. Family Entertainment. Set in a world where human beings and anthropomorphic animals live side-by-side, it focuses on a cat named Danny who wants to break into show business in Hollywood.

The film features the voices of Scott Bakula and Jasmine Guy, and was the directorial debut of former Disney animator Mark Dindal. It is also notable for its musical numbers, written by Randy Newman, and for Gene Kelly's contributions as choreographer. Cats Don't Dance was Kelly's final film project, and the film is dedicated to him.

Personal thoughts:
I've loved this movie ever since I was a kid and discovered it hidden in the unholy mess that was the animated movies section. Slick animation, a good combination of talking animals and humans (tricky in animated movies, and not as common as you might think), some great songs, and plenty of really cool references, homages, and motifs to old school Hollywood. It even beat the rush and had a penguin character back before everyone was sick of those things. Considering my movie-loving Furry self now, it's actually not that big a shock to think that I watched this one constantly back in the day (still do, actually).

And yes, you can watch the whole thing on Youtube. But instead, have a song:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/H9czEZR5ysY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/H9czEZR5ysY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #305 on: August 03, 2011, 07:28:43 PM »
Trick r Treat was a criminally ignored movie.  Not perfect, but definitely tons of fun.  Shame, I think it would have gotten a stronger following if it made it into theatres like it was supposed to.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #306 on: August 03, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »
Yeah, Trick R Treat is very good. Absolute shame how long this movie stayed on the shelf for no damn reason, and then just tossed on DVD.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Toy Lines)
« Reply #307 on: August 04, 2011, 05:28:05 AM »
Hi there kiddies.  Today's subject is favourite toys.  Here's the original list:

#50: Voit Playground Balls
#49: Gamecube
#48: Micro Machines
#47: Simon
#46: Slinky
#45: Jurassic Park Dino Plushes
#44: Transformers: Generation 2
#43: Coleco Handheld Games
#42: Dreamcast
#41: Trampolines
#40: Nerf Balls
#39: Lionel Train Set
#38: Tonka Truck
#37: Big Wheel
#36: Colorforms
#35: Marvel Legends
#34: Laser Tag
#33: Nerf Guns
#32: Frisbee
#31: Super Ball
#30: Playstation
#29: Transformers: Robots in Disguise
 #28: Beast Wars: Transformers
#27: Mr. Potato Head
#26: Transformers Animated
#25: M.A.S.K.
#24: Little People
#23: Silly Putty
#22: View-Master
#21: Movie Maniacs
#20: Star Wars (Modern)
#19: Zoids
#18: Wii
#17: Lincoln Logs
#16: Genesis
#15: Masters of the Universe
#14: Matchbox
#13: Play-Doh
#12: Crayola Crayons
#11: Gameboy
#10: Lite Bright
#9: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
#8: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero
#7: Atari 2600
#6: Super NES
#5: Star Wars (Classic)
#4: NES
#3: Transformers
#2: Hot Wheels
#1: Lego

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #308 on: August 04, 2011, 05:34:52 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 30 – Favourite Toy Lines
DC Direct

DC Direct is the collectibles division of DC Comics, the Time Warner subsidiary that publishes comic books and licenses characters such as Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Batman, Batgirl and Hawkgirl. DC Direct produces statues, props, replicas and prints for the direct market, a distribution and retail network primarily serving comic book specialty stores. DC Direct produces a number of action figures for this market as well, most of which are produced in the 6 to 7-inch scale.

Beginning in 1998 with three figures based on characters from Mad Magazine, DC Direct has released several hundred figures based on popular and obscure characters based on properties published by DC Comics, including those under the Vertigo and WildStorm imprints.

For the first several years, the most recognizable DC characters were not released. DC Direct focused on lesser-known characters and comic series designed for mature readers such as The Sandman, Preacher, and Transmetropolitan. Now, DC Direct has increased its production of recognizable characters such as Batman, Superman, The Flash, Batgirl, Aquaman and Robin. Figures were first grouped randomly, then thematically and now in official groupings that may be released over several years. The first three series in 1999 had a variant for each figure, but the practice was quickly dropped. Of those figures, only the variant of Death has never been re-released. Currently DC Direct shares the licenses for many DC characters with other toy manufacturers, notably Mattel which has the master toy license for all DC Comics properties, but DC Direct alone holds the licenses for Vertigo figures.

While most figures have been released on blister cards, some have been available in boxes and a very few in clamshell packaging. There have also been several boxed sets featuring multiple characters or a character with a particularly large accessory.
Because DC Direct sells primarily to the comic book specialty market, the figures ship to stores on predictable dates, a rarity for toys.

Personal thoughts:
DC Direct toys were a pretty big deal when they first came out: not only DC having it’s own toy company, but it had action figures based on Vertigo comics and Mad Magazine and other things that people will expect action figures from.  All of the action figures have toys, and DC cleverly created a way to release action figures of the same characters without it being boring: basing characters not only on different costume designs, but different artist interpretations.  You can get the old timey Superman of Curt Swan (even with weird interchangeable heads), Frank Quitely, Ed McGuinness and Alex Ross to name a few...

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #309 on: August 04, 2011, 12:01:40 PM »
L.O.C. #30 - Top Toy Lines

Wiffle Ball & Bat

Thoughts
Countless hours spent playing waffle ball as a kid. This is how I learned to hit a baseball as well as pitch a baseball. You could throw a wicked curve even as a little kid with the waffle ball. The coolest thing about this is I've been able to play it with three different generations of the family, just a plastic bat and ball!

Seriously, if you have any hope for your kid ever being able to hit a nasty curve, slider, or change-up, get this. Thanks to wiffleball, regular Joes can throw Carlton-esque benders. Pitching may actually be more fun that hitting.

The Wiki
Wiffle ball is a variation of the sport of baseball designed for indoor or outdoor play in confined areas. The game is played using a perforated, light-weight, rubbery plastic ball and a plastic (typically yellow) bat.

The Wiffle ball was invented by David N. Mullany of Fairfield, Connecticut in 1953 in Shelton, Connecticut when he designed a ball that curved easily for his 12-year old son. It was named when his son and his friends would refer to a strikeout as a "whiff". A classic Wiffle ball is about the same size as a regulation baseball, but is hollow plastic no more than 1/8 inch thick. One hemisphere is perforated with eight .75 inches oblong holes, with a solid second hemisphere. This construction allows pitchers to throw a tremendous variety and size of curveballs, sinkers, and risers. Wiffle balls are typically packaged with a hollow, hard plastic, yellow bat that measures 32 inches in length and about 1.25 inches in diameter.

The game of wiffleball, which sprang from the invention of the popular Wiffle ball, became popular as a backyard, sandlot and picnic game in the 1960s and 1970s. Since 1980, the game has also exploded as an organized sport, with many successful leagues and tournaments now played across the United States and as far away as Spain. These competitions have been known to draw dozens of teams or more, typically consisting of two to five players per team, with widely varying rules and field dimensions. [Seriously, you could play this anywhere.]

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3bHtmPJ_GY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/r3bHtmPJ_GY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYdR5kMzqJo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bYdR5kMzqJo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 293
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #310 on: August 04, 2011, 12:40:21 PM »
This one is  a no-brainer for me...I loved these lil' guys!

M.U.S.C.L.E.

The wiki:
M.U.S.C.L.E., (Millions of Unusual Small Creatures Lurking Everywhere), was a toyline of 2-inch tall monochromatic PVC gum wrestling figures produced in the United States from 1985 to 1988. The story involved intergalactic wrestlers fighting for supremacy of the universe. The toy line itself was straight forward and collectors continue to make the line a viable hobby. The US line included 236 official figures, a boardgame, a NES game entitled M.U.S.C.L.E., a championship belt figure holder, and a wrestling ring playset. The figures were distributed in clear, blister-packed random 4-packs, semiopaque garbage can 10-packs, and boxed fixed sculpt 28 packs. For a short time, the figures were also distributed as a bonus in Nestlé Quik (now known as Nesquik) cans.

The M.U.S.C.L.E. figures were based on the Japanese toyline called kinkeshi. Kinkeshi were based on a manga and anime called Kinnikuman, and some figures were based on anime-only characters. The main hero was Kinnikuman, who, in the US, was "Muscle Man" and was the leader of the "Thug Busters." He was described as the greatest wrestling champion. The only other named figure in the US line was Buffaloman, who was renamed "Terri-Bull," and said to be the leader of the "Cosmic Crunchers."
Some of the figures were sculpted to resemble popular wrestlers who had competed in Japan such as Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes, Abdullah The Butcher, and Jushin "Thunder" Liger.
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #311 on: August 04, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »
HA!  i loved those little pink things.  What a great toy line.  which brings up these:

MONSTERS IN MY POCKET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_in_my_pocket

Monster in my Pocket is a media franchise developed by Morrison Entertainment Group, headed by Joe Morrison and John Weems (two former senior executives at Mattel).

The focus is on monsters and legendary creatures from religion, mythology, literary fantasy, science fiction, cryptids and other anomalous phenomena. Monster in My Pocket produced trading cards, comic books, books, toys, a board game, a video game, and an animated special, along with music, clothing, kites, stickers, and various other items.

The line proved controversial for various reasons and many changes were implemented that took it away from its original mythmaking focus, though it has since reemerged with the original idea intact.

My thoughts: i always figured this was essentially a toy line similiar to the top list of crap.  Which is awesome

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #312 on: August 04, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »
i always figured this was essentially a toy line similiar to the top list of crap.  Which is awesome

Que?

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #313 on: August 04, 2011, 07:54:19 PM »
it was basically the companies favorite monsters and they were even numbered.  It always felt to me like they were trying to tell us which monster was the coolest/toughest.  its like if did our own list of crap and then at the end we decided we needed a toy line to celebrate that list. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #314 on: August 04, 2011, 08:13:37 PM »
I thought M.U.S.C.L.E. were pretty cool growing up and these days I have a soft spot for the source material, though I can imagine for various reasons it would turn off a lot of people.  The neat thing about a lot of those figures you played with were designed by children.  When the original Kinnikuman first started, it began as an Ultraman spoof, so the creators (who were only 19 at the time) got young fans to submit monster designs for future stories.  That's actually pretty cool, since it involved fan participation in a really cool way where something they created became part of the story.  As the series moved on the creators dropped the monsters in favour of monstrous super-powered wrestlers in life-or-death matches for the fate of the Earth (because why not) and fans began submitting art for villains, many of whom became important characters to the series and fan favourites.  I think that's pretty neat.