Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47736 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Authors)
« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »
My wife adores him. Our dog is named for him.

That is so cool. And your wife has very good taste.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2011, 12:45:16 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 20 – Favourite Authors
This one probably seems like I picked it because it makes me look smarter than I am.  This is true.  Still...
Oscar Wilde

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900) was an Irish writer and poet. After writing in different forms throughout the 1880s, he became one of London's most popular playwrights in the early 1890s. Today he is remembered for his epigrams, plays and the circumstances of his imprisonment, followed by his early death.

Wilde's parents were successful Dublin intellectuals, and their son showed his intelligence early by becoming fluent in French and German. At university Wilde read Greats; he proved himself to be an outstanding classicist, first at Dublin, then at Oxford. He became known for his involvement in the rising philosophy of aestheticism, led by two of his tutors, Walter Pater and John Ruskin. He also profoundly explored Roman Catholicism, to which he would later convert on his deathbed. After university, Wilde moved to London into fashionable cultural and social circles. As a spokesman for aestheticism, he tried his hand at various literary activities: he published a book of poems, lectured in the United States of America and Canada on the new "English Renaissance in Art", and then returned to London where he worked prolifically as a journalist. Known for his biting wit, flamboyant dress, and glittering conversation, Wilde had become one of the most well-known personalities of his day.

At the turn of the 1890s, he refined his ideas about the supremacy of art in a series of dialogues and essays, and incorporated themes of decadence, duplicity, and beauty into his only novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray (1890). The opportunity to construct aesthetic details precisely, and combine them with larger social themes, drew Wilde to write drama. He wrote Salome (1891) in French in Paris but it was refused a licence. Unperturbed, Wilde produced four society comedies in the early 1890s, which made him one of the most successful playwrights of late Victorian London.

At the height of his fame and success, whilst his masterpiece, The Importance of Being Earnest (1895), was still on stage in London, Wilde sued the father of his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, for libel. After a series of trials, Wilde was convicted of gross indecency with other men and imprisoned for two years, held to hard labour. In prison he wrote De Profundis (written in 1897 & published in 1905), a long letter which discusses his spiritual journey through his trials, forming a dark counterpoint to his earlier philosophy of pleasure. Upon his release he left immediately for France, never to return to Ireland or Britain. There he wrote his last work, The Ballad of Reading Gaol (1898), a long poem commemorating the harsh rhythms of prison life. He died destitute in Paris at the age of forty-six.

His Works

Personal thoughts:
Possibly the most quotable author of all time, I discover Wilde in college and as a person who sometimes feels he relates more to fiction that reality, his embrace of artifice caught ,me at just the right time.  It’s interesting that at the time he was thought of as an amoral author, since I think his works are quite more.  The Picture of Dorian Gray is good (if overly long, in my opinion), but what I really love are his children’s stories.  The Giant’s Garden makes me tear up every time I read it.  Same thing happened to Wilde supposedly, stating that he always cried at beautiful things.  Well said.  And speaking of…
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
"I don't want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there."
"Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power."
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance."
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."

Also, I enjoy this much more than I should.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mhk5Rjz7xk0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Mhk5Rjz7xk0</a>

MontyServo

Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #212 on: July 25, 2011, 01:55:33 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 20 - Top Authors
This guy is easily one of my favorite modern authors.  Unfortunately he passed away last year, but he was very prolific and left behind some great characters that will likely live forever.

Robert B. Parker

The Wiki:
Robert Brown Parker (September 17, 1932 – January 18, 2010) was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced. His works incorporate encyclopedic knowledge of the Boston metropolitan area. Parker was 77 when he died of a heart attack at his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts; discovered at his desk by his wife Joan, he had been working on a novel. The Spenser novels have been cited by critics and bestselling authors such as Robert Crais, Harlan Coben and Dennis Lehane as not only influencing their own work but reviving and changing the detective genre.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #213 on: July 25, 2011, 09:45:15 PM »
Madeleine L'Engle
While I'm familiar with a couple of her titles, I've never actually read anything by her.

Norman Mailer
Nice choice. I've read The Naked and the Dead and the The Executioner's Song and thought they were both fantastic. I'll put An American Dream on my seemingly endless list of shit I need to read.

Oscar Wilde
Great choice. Just an incredibly smart and witty writer. This guy could knock out anybody in a no-holds-barred, steel cage battle royale of wits.

Robert B. Parker
Haven't read anything by him, either. Although I did enjoy Spenser: For Hire as a kid, although I know it was only based on the novels. Hawk!!! Or is it Hawkes!!!

I thought there would've been a bigger turnout for this category.

Oh, and that original list is pretty messed up.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Super-Powers)
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2011, 02:11:33 PM »
Again, sorry I'm late.  Still, this one (which I am nonetheless proud of) is a bit of an odd-ball, so I wouldn't be expecting a lot of contributions (prove me wrong,  children.  Prove me wrong).  Still, I'm sure you can think of something cool with a little imagination.

Here's the original list of top 52 Super-Powers:

#50: Eidetic Memory
#49: Handyman
#49: Super-Jumping
#48: Super-Accuracy & Precision
#47: Hard Light Constructs
#46: Precognition
#46: Willed Bowel Loosening
#45: Interdimensional Travel
#44: Ability/Power Taking
#43: Kinetic Absorption/Redistribution
#42: Pleasure Touch
#41: Breathing as Optional
#40: Force Field
#39: Super-Agility
#38: Wall Crawler
#37: ESP/Clairsentience
#36: Transmutation/Alchemy
#35: Omnilinguilism
#34: Cat Herding
#33: Biokinesis
#32: Electro Control/Generation
#31: Animal Transformation/Mimicry
#30: Healing Powers (others)
#29: Self-Duplication
#28: Super-Senses
#27: Size-Changing
#26: Zoolingualism
#25: Pyrokinesis
#24: Plant Control
#23: Mind Control
#22: Time Travel
#21: Machine Empathy/Control
#20 Weather Control
#19: Super-Intelligence
#18: Time Manipulation
#17: Accelerated Healing
#16: Cryokinesis/Ice Manipulation
#15: Underwater Breathing
#14: X-Ray Vision
#13: Elasticity
#12: Intangibility
#11: Immortality
#10: Heat/Laser Vision
#9: Telepathy
#8: Invulnerability
#7: Shapeshifting
#6: Super-Speed
#5: Super-Strength
#4: Tele/Psychokinesis
#3: Teleportation
#2: Invisibility
#1: Flight

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #215 on: July 26, 2011, 02:12:12 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 21 – Favourite Super-Powers
Photographic Reflexes

Photographic reflexes is the ability to essentially copy any martial arts move that you see. A prime example of this would be Echo, recently known as Ronin. The Batman villain Prometheus has a similar power, though instead of it being an actual power, he downloads the martial arts techniques into a suit, which allows them to register into his brain. The first villain with this power was known as the Taskmaster, who battled the Avengers to a standstill in Avengers #195, vol. 1. He was defeated by Jocasta (comics), the bride of Ultron, because he had never seen her in combat before and therefore could not predict her moves.

Personal thoughts:
Basically, the premise is that you can do any sort of physical activity with perfect precision simply by watching it being done.  Of course, it doesn’t mean that you can necessarily do what that person couldn’t if he was in your body (IE, a weightlifter’s ability probably wouldn’t help unless you had substantial strength), but it means that you can simply watch martial arts movies and be able to do what they can do within the physical confines of your body.  And if anything, it probably would give you initiative to work out more.  Plus, it could be applicable to sports, exercise (I always feel I’m doing something wrong when I exercise, so here I would know), sexual techniques (uh, just don’t tell me where you’ve seen them) and any physical activity.  It doesn’t give you the raw power, but it gives you instant skill.

Imagine what you could do simply by watching this video.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ItnogOU2gM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7ItnogOU2gM</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
I'll have a think, not sure I can top the ones on my original list though.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »
Too be fair, not all the ones on your original list made it.  Maybe you should check what didn't...

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #218 on: July 26, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »
L.O.C. #21 - Top Super Powers

Magnetism Manipulation

Ability to control and/or generate magnetic fields.

Thoughts
Magneto was pretty badass, at least until he lost his power in The Last Stand and immediately turned into a cowering geriatric. And plastic guns? Fine, I'll just heave giant chunks of steel at you. What are you gonna do? Come at me in a plastic tank?

CHEEESSSSSSS!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/a5RoSt7aoUM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/a5RoSt7aoUM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »
Right you are, from that list:

I was a little peeved that my number seven didn't show up, I was quite pleased with that one.  :)

LoC Rest of the Best - Day 21 – Favourite Super-Powers
The Power to Prevent Forest Fires

Dammit! If only Nick were here!

Personal thoughts:
Forest fires are of course utterly horrendous but for centuries mankind was at their mercy until one day a champion was chosen, and oddly it was a human, chosen by the wild beasts of the forest, I am that human, how did I gain these powers you ask. Well it's fairly simple really, one day I was walking through the woods (Grosse Pointe Woods I believe) when I found that a bear had walked across my path, encased in a TV. He didn't allow the imprisonment distract him from his cause however and, to me surprise he spoke to me in the language of my people and said that only I, yes I a lowly British emigre had the power to prevent forest fires. Sadly I don't really live near any of the forest fire hotspots so they continue to rage every summer, sorry about that. Promise, if ever I'm near the west or something I will see if the bear was telling the truth. Mind you, he's a talking bear, why would he lie?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/U6xMd0wSbZc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/U6xMd0wSbZc</a>
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:52:06 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #220 on: July 26, 2011, 04:37:19 PM »
Oh and the latest After Hours vid on Cracked is appropriate to the topic (also Katy has been making some bold and appealing wardrobe choices of late)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »
Ability to take photographs with ones eyes

I don't have a picture for this, though I suppose literally any picture would do. It wouldn't be useful for combat, but you could easily use it for espionage. Mostly it's just something that I've often wished I could do.

And wasn't there a kid in Speaker for the Dead who had some sort of electronic eye that could record things? Or did I imagine that?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #222 on: July 26, 2011, 06:46:56 PM »
Provocative wardrobe selection?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #223 on: July 26, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Ever read The Fermata by Nicholson Baker, it's all about that power, and yeah said power gets used mostly for the same purposes discussed in the vid. It's kind of like if Patrick Stewart had that ability...

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #224 on: July 26, 2011, 07:15:23 PM »
how long could you stop time?  The ability to spy on evil people and help good people would be astronomical.  Hell i could end the Lybia conflict right now depending on my timeline.  It also wouldnt end up killing anyone.