Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47759 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Stand-Up Comics)
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »
Demitri is on the original list already.  So your work is done for you.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2011, 12:54:41 PM »
I wasn't mad at ya, DB, I just feel if someone accidentally puts one that's already on the list or doubles up, they shouldn't have to use up their choice.  If you didn't have a comedian lined up, I had one.

No, I know. I was just foolin'.

It's actually a good thing because I really believe both Oswalt and Stanhope deserve a spot on this list.

Good turnout today!
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

spaceforarent

« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2011, 03:16:50 PM »
I don't feel like making a full entry, but it is a damn shame that Mike Birbiglia was not on the list. He is more of a story teller than a typical stand-up comedian, but, as my friend put it, his albums/DVD are preposterously good. His earlier albums were mostly based on awkward or embarrassing stories from his life but more recently he's gotten much more personal. His newest album is on Grooveshark, but it's not sorted by track.  Still, go here and listen to the first track called "Don't Tell Anyone".

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2011, 03:41:50 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 14 - Top Stand Up Comedians

The Sklar Brothers

The Wiki:
Randy Sklar and Jason Sklar (born January 12, 1972), professionally known as the Sklar Brothers, are American identical twin comedians. They formerly hosted the show Cheap Seats on ESPN Classic, which came to an end on November 19, 2006, after four seasons.

In 1994, they moved to New York where they developed their comedy style at stand-up comedy clubs. In the summer of 1997, Jason and Randy starred in and wrote for MTV's sitcom/sketch/standup program Apt 2F. It was their first television work. The show lasted one season.

Starting in 2004, Randy and Jason played fictitious ESPN research assistants who end up hosting a comedy show as they comment on odd and notable sporting events from ESPN's extensive library.
Cheap Seats borrowed its format from Mystery Science Theater 3000. The cast of MST3K apparently were pleased with the show and afforded it a high honor - they appeared in the fourth season opener in their normal silouette format, making fun of the Sklar's host show bits. So far it is the only time Michael J. Nelson, Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy have appeared as their MST3K characters Mike Nelson, Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo since MST3K was cancelled.

The brothers played twin publicists Larry and Terry Bridge, and co-wrote with Nick Kroll, the web series "Layers," directed by Michael Blieden.[1]
The Sklar Brothers web series, Back on Topps was produced by Vuguru, the online production company of Michael Eisner. It won two Streamy Awards.
In 2010, the online network Crackle released Held Up, an original series written by the Sklar Brothers and starring Kaitlin Olson of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Held Up tells the story of a bored bank teller’s life-changing experience when two teams of bumbling bank robbers hold up his branch.
They started hosting a weekly Earwolf podcast series called Sklarbro Country in 2010.

One of their classic stand-up routines:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ij5Y4A0mR5w?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ij5Y4A0mR5w?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Mike, Kevin, and Bill on Cheap Seats
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fW7Q2dmq5Gc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fW7Q2dmq5Gc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Personal thoughts:
The Sklars have a fantastic style of feeding off each other and finishing each others sentences.  As Patton Oswalt says, they often devolve into metaphor avalanches.  I liked these guys on the Oblongs and on Battle Bots, but when Mike, Kevin, and Bill guested on Cheap Seats, I really started to pay attention.  Their sports podcast is hilarious, and I don't even like to follow sports.  Also, if you like Jon Dore, check out the web series "Held Up" that the Sklars did with him.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2011, 07:30:18 PM »
Patton Oswalt
I'd say he's the best of his generation. My favorite comics of the last twenty years are him, David Cross, Doug Stanhope, and Brian Regan.

Todd Barry
Todd Barry is hilarious. I love his ATM bit from the Medium Energy CD. That whole CD is great. "Ramada Inns are the best motels to masturbate in." Best deadpan delivery in a long while.

JON DORE
Hadn't heard of him, but I'm glad I have now. Thanks Cole! The comic double-booking clip is fucking brilliant!!! The solo clip is also funny. I'll have to check this guy out further.

Dave Allen
Not familiar with this guy either. The clips were pretty funny. "He's the father, he's the son, he's the holy ghost. He's three-in-one!"

rick mercer
Another one I haven't heard of. The Rest of the Best list is so informative! Funny clips, even if you're not Canadian. I like the walking and ranting schtick. He's like Jon Stewart on a four-pack of Red Bulls!

The Sklar Brothers
YES!!! Fantastic pick. I love these guys. I've watched Cheap Seats tons of times over and over and it never gets old. Their stand up is great as well. The chemistry between these two is off the chart and their delivery hits the jackpot every time. Seriously, if you haven't seen Cheap Seats, you're depriving yourself of comedy gold. "Gold. I found gold!!!"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:33:51 PM by D.B. Barnes »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2011, 08:04:08 PM »
I actually don't remember Mercer doing any actual stand-up, mostly his work on This Hour Has 22 Minutes (before it went from inconsistent to really bad) and the Mercer Report.  I find his strongest stuff the stridently political bits since it has a lot more passion and wit, but seeing him explore Canada and the various aspects of it is pretty charming and educational (one of my favourites was him helping tag bears in the woods and he gets to nuzzle wild, half blind, mewling baby bears).  The little skits have wit, but they usually aren't all that great.

I liked what I saw of the Jon Dore Television Programme (I only watched a few, but they were really good) and it's kind of sad for both parties that Jon and Jimmy Dore seem easy to confuse (especially now that they both work in the LA comedy scene).  I think they need to team up as "Double Dores!"

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Candies)
« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2011, 07:47:01 AM »
I hope you have a sweet tooth,  because today's subject is favourite candies!

#50: Fry�s Turkish Delight
#49: Maynard�s Wine Gums
#48: Abba-Zaba
#47: Almond Joy
#46: Tootsie Roll
#45: M&M�s
#44: Milky Way Midnight
#43: Maple Sugar Candy
#42: Turkish Delight
#41: Now and Laters
#40: Laffy Taffy
#39: 3 Musketeers
#38: Junior Mints
#37: Swedish Dish
#36: Almond M&M�s
#35: 100 Grand
#34: Dark Chocolate M&M�s
#33: Caramello
#32: Pop Rocks
#31: Fun Dip
#30: Bottle Caps
#29: Jolly Rancher
#28: Jawbreakers/Gobstoppers
#27: Milk Duds
#26: Take 5
#25: Lemonhead
#24: Peanut M&M�s
#23: Pocky
#22: Warheads
#21: Shock Tarts
#20: Whachamacallit
#19: Gummi Worms
#18: Reese�s Pieces
#17: Charleston Chew
#16: Twizzlers   
#15: Smarties   
#14: Sweet Tarts
#13: Cadbury Creme Eggs   
#12: Sour Patch Kids
#11: Kit Kat
#10: Sour Skittles
#9: Butterfinger
#8: Starburst
#7: Jelly Belly
#6: Nerds
#5: Snickers
#4: Skittles
#3: Gummi Bears
#2: Twix
#1: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2011, 09:11:28 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 15 - Candies

Crispy Crunch

Crispy Crunch is a hard chocolate bar with a crispy peanut flake inside that is made by Cadbury. Harold Oswin, an employee of William Neilson, developed Crispy Crunch in the late 1920s. Harold was a candy roller in Neilson's hard candy room and joined the company when he was fourteen years old. Harold was promoted to Candymaker in the late 1920s. He always had wanted to create a candy bar with peanut butter and so when a chocolate bar contest was announced, Harold submitted his innovation. Harold won the contest and received a $5.00 prize. The original recipe called for a log-shaped bar. Williams Neilson management made the decision to flatten the bar to the shape we are all familiar with today. Harold died in the mid-1990s.

The brand was repositioned in 1988 by Norm Williams, Director of Marketing. The new brief was given to Martin Shewchuck of Leo Burnett Canada who conceived the highly successful Crispy Crunch campaigns ("the only thing better than your Crispy Crunch is someone else's"). The campaign catapulted the brand to #1. Crispy Crunch is sold in Canada. Crispy Crunches were sold in the United States for a brief time in the 1990s by the food distribution arm of Pro Set, the collectible card company. Pro Set went bankrupt, resulting in Crispy Crunch no longer being available in the United States. A lower-calorie version of Crispy Crunch was available for a limited time in the mid-1990s. The original manufacturers, Neilson, sold all their chocolate brands to Cadbury in 1996, though packaging continued to feature the Neilson logo for a few years. Since Cadbury began manufacturing of the chocolate bar, the recipe has changed in that it is less salty and more sweet as it has a more of the crunchy topaz coloured candy coating around the centre.

Also, women can exchange them for sexual favours from greedy, gluttonous but still in good shape men.  But you've got to haggle.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QliLlmuJbo4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QliLlmuJbo4</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pqw1JAZ4u4c" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pqw1JAZ4u4c</a>
OK, that was... nothing...

Personal thoughts:
Ever since childhood I've loved this bar.  It's super addictive, especially the little ones you can get at bulk stores (there are similar treats sold under the name Will'O Crisps or Wisps of perhaps both by different companies for cheap.  Still good for an off-brand.)
[/quote]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:24:22 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2011, 09:20:47 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 15 - Candies

The Sklar Brothers

Man the Sklar Brother's are really tasty aren't they? ;)

Wish I could add to this list, I just don't have that sweet a tooth, I seem to recall it being a bit of a stretch to make my list the last time.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:29:33 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2011, 09:25:19 AM »
If only it had been Twix it would have been perfect.  They're the only comedians with the cookie crunch.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2011, 09:49:13 AM »
L.O.C. #15 - Top Candies

Candy Corn

Thoughts
There seems to be a love/hate relationship with this candy. I know people who can't stand candy corn and people who love it. I fall into the latter category. Chewy, sugary goodness! And those big pumpkin corns rock!

The Wiki
Candy corn is a confection in the United States and Canada, popular primarily in autumn around Halloween (though available year-round in most places). Candy corn was created in the 1880s by George Renninger of the Wunderlee Candy Company; the three colors of the candy mimic the appearance of kernels of corn. Each piece is approximately 3 times the size of a whole kernel from a ripe or dried ear. Candy corn is made primarily from sugar, corn syrup, artificial coloring and binders. A serving size of 22 pieces contains 140 calories and no fat. Candy corn pieces are traditionally cast in three colors: a broad yellow end, a tapered orange center, and a pointed white tip. A popular variation called "Indian corn" features a chocolate brown wide end, orange center and pointed white tip. In recent years confectioners have introduced additional color variations suited to other holidays, including Christmas and Easter. The Christmas variant has a green end and a red center. The Valentine's Day variant has a red end and a pink center.

The National Confectioners Association estimates that 20 million pounds (over 9000 tons) of candy corn are sold annually. The top branded retailer of candy corn, Brach's, sells enough candy corn each year to circle the earth 4.25 times if the kernels were laid end to end.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DgTvgQfcllM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DgTvgQfcllM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

P.S. Is Swedish Dish supposed to be Swedish Fish or is that a Swedish candied version of Gefilte Fish?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:52 AM »
My feelings on the subject:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8yuvMsvNqY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/L8yuvMsvNqY</a>

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2011, 10:23:56 AM »
I like Sixlets.  They're like M&Ms, but a little smaller and spherical.  They come in tubular sleeves rather than standard bags.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2011, 10:28:07 AM »
You mean these?

Personally, I never heard of them before, but they look neat.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
My feelings on the subject:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8yuvMsvNqY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/L8yuvMsvNqY</a>

I knew somebody would post that! I should've included it as a preemptive strike.