login

Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47366 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Villains)
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »
Also, I didn't know fat was an STD.  Is that what happened to Kirstie Alley?
I actually quite like the first three of the prequels and that's where that comes from, and it's not technically an STD so much as a disease, the result of which is the destruction of his former powerful physique (so sort of like what happened to Henry VIII), that the BG sister (and later Reverend Mother) is able to call up and inflict upon the Baron through the medium of her loins, she could just have easily transmitted it in some other way but it was an appropriate defensive/vengeance move for that situation.

The one problem I had with the mini series is the variety of accents, it's OK that there are multiple accents around, it's a big universe, but within a family? Rabban is bad, though not as glaring as Alia, once she's old enough, it makes no sense.

Trying to remember if the tv version has the baron idly contemplating how much like Paul his catamite for that evening looks. Which is so sup[er creepy once it's revealed how closely related they are (though the Baron isn't aware of it).

But yeah hands down one of my favourite villains, not sure why he didn't make it, I thought I had him fairly high on my list but it was a while ago.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:55:10 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5136
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2011, 08:13:10 AM »
Could death be considered a villain? He (it) is certainly and antagonist in many a novel. As is really bad weather.

I'm pretty sure Death is a supporting character and occasional protagonist.

She even teaches about safe sex.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=420463&GSub=27878

Way better than the Spidey PSA comics I used to get at school.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2011, 08:22:06 AM »
Yeah Death simply is. It's not nice to die but rarely are the personifications of Death truly villainous.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2011, 09:38:17 AM »
L.O.C. #10 - Top Villains

King Joffrey

Thoughts
Took me about a half second to come up with this one. It's not often I find a character so loathsome I feel genuine emotional hatred towards them. This is one of 'em. The most petulant, whiny, evil little inbred fuckhead I've come across in a long time. When and if this little piece o' shit finally gets what's coming to him, it's gonna be some Splenda-grade sweet revenge.

The Wiki
Joffrey Baratheon is the eldest of the three royal Baratheon children, and Robert's heir. He is 12 years old at the beginning of the series. Joffrey is a strong-willed child and has a vicious temper and an unchecked sadistic streak.

This makes me feel better…sorta.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/giSLLG02Ex0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/giSLLG02Ex0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2011, 10:55:55 AM »
L.O.C. #10 - Top Villains

King Joffrey

Good call

anais.jude

« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2011, 12:21:56 PM »
No love for Byonic Barry eh?

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2011, 12:29:12 PM »
Uh, you can put him up.

MontyServo

Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 10 - Top Villains

Lisa
"The Room"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpfPmvG6CHI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rpfPmvG6CHI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »
Dude, she's tough.  I come to understand that she tears people into parts.

BTW, someone asked about a banner for this thread.  I might give it a try myself, but in all honesty, I don't know how to do that stuff, so if anyone either wants to make one or just gives me advice on the banner (it can be how to make one, or what you think a Rest of the Best banner should look like), I'd give bigs ups to you.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2011, 07:21:55 PM »
Friend
Very obscure. Never heard of him but you make a good case for him. Really interesting profile and yeah, totally creepy. Sounds like a real psycho.

Vladimir Harkonnen
Grat pick. I'm actually really surprised he didn't make the original list. Probably the grossest villain since Jaba, maybe grosser.

Bionic Barry
Cool pick. Definitely the funniest villain mentioned. Archer's got his revenge cut out for him next season.

"The unholy abomination of metal fused with flesh that now stands before you."
"What part of 'I'm a cyborg' are you people not getting exactly?"

Lisa

She is pretty evil, isn't she? Yet somehow I just can't get past her knee-buckling beauty.

BTW, someone asked about a banner for this thread.  I might give it a try myself, but in all honesty, I don't know how to do that stuff, so if anyone either wants to make one or just gives me advice on the banner (it can be how to make one, or what you think a Rest of the Best banner should look like), I'd give bigs ups to you.

I'm game. I'm cooking up a big batch of meth this weekend in honor of the Breaking Bad season premiere, so there's no reason I shouldn't be able to cook up a thread banner as well.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »
Friend
Very obscure. Never heard of him but you make a good case for him. Really interesting profile and yeah, totally creepy. Sounds like a real psycho.

Yeah, 20th Century Boys is a great series (it even made it on the top 50 comic books).  I find a lot of the mysteries in Naoki Urasawa works have a few problems when held to scrutiny (largely because the series go on long enough that the over stuff gets a little convoluted.  Think Lost), but his strength is building tension, awesome reveals and, most importantly, great characters.  In fact, I think part of the reason his series tend to be so long is to give every character some spotlight time (but then he has to show how the spotlight time fits into the main story, which is successful in the short run, but does make things a little convoluted).  I haven't seen the movies but I hope they are as good as the series.  There are other cool aspects to Friend, but I don't want to spoil it in case you decide to read the manga or they try to make an American version (they were trying to make a film version of his other popular thriller epic Monster, but they probably won't do 20th Century Boys since it is so closely linked to Japanese pop culture.  Then again, they do want to make AKIRA...)

Lisa

She is pretty evil, isn't she? Yet somehow I just can't get past her knee-buckling beauty.

She's the Poison Ivy of the Wisseau-verse.

I'm game. I'm cooking up a big batch of meth this weekend in honor of the Breaking Bad season premiere, so there's no reason I shouldn't be able to cook up a thread banner as well.

SWEET!  Looking forward to it.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »
Vladimir Harkonnen
Grat pick. I'm actually really surprised he didn't make the original list. Probably the grossest villain since Jaba, maybe grosser.
But only the Lynch version really. You know what? I'm changing my suggestion

LoC Rest of the Best - Day 10 - Top Villains
David Lynch

;)

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2011, 09:10:55 PM »

That GIF is SO much win.  :D

Outside of that, Byonic Barry from Archer. "0 for 3 off the roof"

You may want to re-check Barry's batting average from above.

My entry into the LoC, Rest of the Best would have to be the women of Summerisle. Go Nic Cage!!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2011, 01:07:02 AM »
You can always participate now.  It's open to everyone.  And don't worry that the day has past.  I look the other way for late comers (plus you can just add the entry to your last post.

Now, today's topic is animals.  Here's the original list:

#50: Frogs
#49: Ants
#48: Weasels
#47: Ostriches
#46: Blue-Footed Boobies
#45: Tasmanian Devil
#44: Crocodile
#43: Chicken
#42: Deer
#41: Raccoon
#40: Parrot
#39: Rays
#38: Cattle
#37: Badger
#36: Mice
#35: Hamsters
#34: Bats
#33: Whales
#32: Orca
#31: Komodo Dragons
#30: Squirrels
#29: Cheetahs
#28: Mantises
#27:Rhinorocoses
#26: Giant Squids
#25: Giant Pandas
#24: Giraffes
#23: Monkeys
#22: Turtles
#21: Chimpanzees
#20: Foxes
#19: Otters
#18: Snakes
#17: Kangaroos
#16: Lions
#15: Horses
#14: Rabbits
#13: Eagles
#12: Penguins
#11: Cougars
#10: Dolphins
#9: Gorillas
#8: Wolves
#7: Platypus
#6: Sharks
#5: Elephants
#4: Bears
#3: Cats
#2: Tigers
#1: Dogs
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:12:40 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Animals)
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2011, 01:10:28 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 11 - Top animals

Geckos

The Wiki:

Geckos are lizards belonging to the family Gekkonidae, found in warm climates throughout the world. They range from 1.6 cm to 60 cm.

Geckos are unique among lizards in their vocalizations, making chirping sounds in social interactions with other geckos. Gekkonidae is the largest family of lizards, with over 2000 different species worldwide and many others likely yet to be discovered. The name stems from the Indonesian-Javanese word Tokek, inspired by the sound these animals make.

All geckos, excluding the Eublepharinae subfamily, have no eyelids and instead have a transparent membrane which they lick to clean. Many species will, in defense, expel a foul-smelling material and feces onto their aggressors. There are also many species that will drop their tails in defense, a process called autotomy. Many species are well known for their specialized toe pads that enable them to climb smooth and vertical surfaces, and even cross indoor ceilings with ease (one hypothesis explains the ability in terms of the van der Waals force). These antics are well-known to people who live in warm regions of the world, where several species of geckos make their home inside human habitations. These species (for example the House Gecko) become part of the indoor menagerie and are often welcome guests, as they feed on insects, including mosquitoes.

The largest species, the Kawekaweau, is only known from a single, stuffed specimen found in the basement of a museum in Marseille, France, and one documented sighting in the wild in 1870. This gecko was 60 cm (24 in) long and it was endemic to New Zealand, where it lived in native forests. It was probably wiped out along with much of the native fauna of these islands in the late 19th century, when new invasive species such as rats and stoats were introduced to the country during European colonization. The smallest gecko, the Jaragua Sphaero, is a mere 1.6 cm long and was discovered in 2001 on a small island off the coast of the Dominican Republic.

Personal Thoughts – When I was 12/13 I was living in Thailand, and these things were all over the house.  As a kid who loved animals, this was like a godsend, as I would catch them (not easy to catch, but not all that hard) and hold them and pet them (which they probably didn't like) and then put them back when I was done.  Of course, every month or so, you had to clean the little bits of lizard poop from behind the couch, but it was worth it.  It's just something people lived with over there.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/j6LBjQO-CeM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/j6LBjQO-CeM</a>