Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47344 times)

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 293
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic Favourite Horror Films)
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2011, 06:11:05 PM »
This is one of those movies that's one of those "great movies no one has heard of."  I've only heard of it recently and all references to it are glowing.  This is a lot like the movie Don't Look Now.  Not easy to find, but everything about it sounds great.  And I loved the Manchurian Candidate (uh, not so much Reindeer Games) so I'm sure this is just as crazy.

Frankenheimer was pretty prolific. He's put out a bunch of masterpieces (Manchurian Candidate, Seconds, Seven Days in May, The Train, Ronin, The Birdman of Alcatraz) and some series duds (Island of Dr. Moreau, The Challenge, 99 3/4% Dead, the aforementioned Reindeer Games). Still, he's an unsung auteur that deserves more recognition for his body of work. I think you'll dig Seconds when you get ahold of it!
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

MontyServo

Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2011, 09:12:57 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 7 - Top Fruits and Vegetables

Not the most popular veggie, but I love them.

Brussels Sprout

The Wiki:
The Brussels sprout is a cultivar of wild cabbage grown for its edible buds. The leafy green vegetables are typically 2.5–4 cm (0.98–1.6 in) in diameter and look like miniature cabbages. The sprout is Brassica oleracea, in the "gemmifera" group of the family Brassicaceae. Although named after the city in Belgium, few historians believe the plant originated there

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rfeIaHtuJ2k?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rfeIaHtuJ2k?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCvnSH42r2w?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aCvnSH42r2w?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:19:13 PM by Monty »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »
The Tenant
I've been told more than once that I need to watch this. That trailer is pretty ominous. I like stories dealing with paranoia and losing sanity so I'm gonna go ahead and check this one out.

I'm gonna take this ridiculously small sample and base the following opinion on it: foreign horror has pretty much made American horror its jail bitch.

In the Mouth of Madness
Nice pick. Highly entertaining and secondly recommended, for whatever that's worth.

Seconds
Never seen it. Another one to throw on the Netflix pile. Boy, things are really piling up!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:40:20 PM by D.B. Barnes »
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5136
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2011, 06:57:59 AM »
Today it's fruits and vegetables!  Here's the original list:

#50: Nectarines
#49: Tangerines
#48: Squash
#47: Artichoke
#46: Grapefruit
#45: Courgette/Zucchini
#44: Olives
#43: Asparagus
#42: Cauliflower
#41: Pickles
#40: Peas
#39: Avocado
#38: Okra
#37: Melon
#36: Plums
#35: Mango
#34: Celery
#33: Apricot
#32: Lemon
#31: Lime
#30: Pomegranite
#29: Mushroom
#28: Coconuts  
#27: Cucumber
#26: Green Beans
#25: Raspberries
#24: Pumpkins
#23: Garlic
#22: Watermelon
#21: Lettuce
#20: Spinach
#19: Blueberries
#18: Chili Pepper
#17: Broccoli
#16: Bell Pepper
#15: Pears
#14: Peaches
#13: Kiwi Fruit
#12: Onion
#11: Cherries
#10: Grapes
#9: Corn
#8: Pineapple
#7: Bananas
#6: Carrots
#5: Orange
#4: Apple
#3: Strawberries
#2: Tomato
#1: Potato

BTW, my avatar comes from, of course, the greatest super-hero comic of all Fruitman Special #1

Wait, why is that one guy lying on top of the other guy on the last panel.  Wasn't he just knocked unconscious on the other side of the room?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:18:38 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic Favourite Fruits and Vegetables)
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2011, 07:10:40 AM »

At the risk of sounding hipster, my fruit is obscure, you've probably never tasted it...
Rose Apple AKA Jambo AKA CHOMPOO

The rose apple is yet another fruit with a surprise up its sleeve. Based on its outward appearance, it could easily be mistaken for a small pear, although the skin is usually quite waxy compared to pears. But when you cut the rose apple open, you won't find a core filled with seeds. The core of a rose apple is more or less hollow, with a bit of cottony fluff that should be scraped out and discarded.

Rose apples are eaten skin and all. The texture is somewhere between a watermelon and an apple, as is the taste. Rose apples can have a slightly bitter after-taste, but this is rarely unpleasant. There are several varieties of rose apples, with the most common in Thailand having a light green green skin. This variety is available almost year round, while seasonal varieties vary in color from apple red to almost black. The red variety is native to Malaysia, where its common English name is "Malay apple." In Southern Thailand, you will also see a small cherry red variety that looks a bit like a child's top.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NtsXvontevE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NtsXvontevE</a>

Uh... no corn and beans in my fruit salad thanks.

Personal Thoughts - This is only is South Asia, but if you are ever in Thailand or Malaysia, give it a try.  I spent 10 months in Thailand when I was 12/13, so there are definitely a lot of great (and often too sweet) fruits to try, but the light tasting Chompoo was my favourite.  I found that despite the video, red Chompoo wasn't quite as popular (at least in Bangkok) but there were a lot of green ones sold by vendors.  Red ones (which I remember as being more flavourful, but I haven't had them since I was 10) are more popular in Malaysia, although maybe things have changed.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:19:10 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
L.O.C. #7 - Top Fruits and Vegetables

Paul Lynde

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rFqZWc6qq8Y?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rFqZWc6qq8Y?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2011, 11:34:50 AM »

Paul Lynde

:clap:

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2011, 11:55:43 AM »

Paul Lynde

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:04:07 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2011, 12:31:51 PM »
Ginger

Ginger is the rhizome of the plant Zingiber officinale, consumed as a delicacy, medicine, or spice. It lends its name to its genus and family (Zingiberaceae). Other notable members of this plant family are turmeric, cardamom, and galangal.

Ginger cultivation began in South Asia and has since spread to East Africa and the Caribbean. It is sometimes called root ginger to distinguish it from other things that share the name ginger.

Young ginger rhizomes are juicy and fleshy with a very mild taste. They are often pickled in vinegar or sherry as a snack or just cooked as an ingredient in many dishes. They can also be steeped in boiling water to make ginger tea, to which honey is often added; sliced orange or lemon fruit may also be added. Ginger can also be made into candy.

Mature ginger roots are fibrous and nearly dry. The juice from old ginger roots is extremely potent and is often used as a spice in Indian recipes, and is a quintessential ingredient of Chinese, Japanese and many South Asian cuisines for flavoring dishes such as seafood or goat meat and vegetarian cuisine.

Monty had a great idea to show the related Good Eats episode:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bF4Epk14EpQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bF4Epk14EpQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Personal Thoughts - If you are trying to create Asian flavor in your food at home, adding ginger is the quickest and easiest way to do it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:56:36 PM by Kete »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2011, 05:59:08 PM »
What bums me out about that list is I'm now  deathly allergic to #13 as well as #8 :(

Rose Apples are a good choice. :)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
Oh, you know them?  Do they have them in England?  I've never seen them or heard of them here.  In fact, I only know them by their foreign names.

Also, do you eat them with salt and chili powder.  Because whenever you by them or unripened mango in Thailand they come with that condiment on the side.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2011, 06:21:59 PM »
Yes, I've had them a few times, mostly when I was little and living in Plymouth (big port town with lots of cross mingling of cuisines and cultures). My father used to put salt on Watermelon sometimes too.

It wouldn't have occurred to me to put them on the list though. :)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »
Martyrs is also pretty freaky, but more in a I-feel-completely-terrible sort of way (that the American remake is set to star Kristen Stewart both confuses and intrigues me).

Really? That is interesting. I like Kristen Stewart. They better not fuck it up.

They're gonna fuck it up, aren't they?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2011, 03:21:47 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 87 - Top Holiday Songs

Here's today's topic and the original list:

#50: A Holly Jolly Christmas
#48: Wizards in Winter
#47: Christmas Wrapping
#46: Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
#45: Merry Fucking Christmas
#44: Mele Kalikimaka
#43: Last Christmas
#42: I Saw Three Ships
#41: Christmas at Ground Zero
#40: 2000 Miles
#39: Feliz Navidad
#38: Little Saint Nick
#37: Angels We Have Heard On High
#36: O Tannenbaum/O Christmas Tree
#35: Happy Xmas (The War is Over)
#34: O Holy Crap
#33: Away in a Manger
#31: Jingle Bells
#30: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
#29: Auld Lang Syne
#27: Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
#25: Frost the Snowman
#24: We Three Kings of Orient Are
#22: Do You Hear What I Hear
#21: Good King Wenceslas
#20: The First Noel/Nowell
#18: Santa Claus is Coming to Town
#17: The Christmas Song
#16: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
#15: Adeste Fideles/O Come All Ye Faithful
#14: Fairytale of New York
#13: Little Drummer Boy
#11: White Christmas
#10: Greensleeves/What Child is This?
#9: Christmas Time is Here
#8: A Winter Wonderland
#7: God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
#6: Silent Night
#5: Jingle Bell Rock
#4: Joy To the World
#3: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
#2: O Holy Night
#1: Carol of the Bells

MontyServo

Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2011, 04:14:55 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 8 - Top Holiday Songs
Merry Xmas Everybody
Slade

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/H6YbLZf8i5I?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/H6YbLZf8i5I?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

The Wiki:
"Merry Xmas Everybody" is a 1973 song by the English rock band Slade. Written by lead vocalist and guitarist Noddy Holder and bassist Jim Lea, and produced by Chas Chandler, it was the band's sixth number-one single in the UK. It earned the UK Christmas Number One slot in December 1973, beating another Christmas-themed song, Wizzard's "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday", which reached fourth place. By mid-January it was still at number one; it stayed in the UK Singles Chart well into February 1974.

Based on melodies from discarded songs written six years before, "Merry Xmas Everybody" was Slade's best-selling single, released at the peak of their popularity, and sold over a million copies upon its first release. It is Slade's last number-one single, but by far their most successful. It has been released during every decade since 1973, and has been covered by numerous artists like Wilbasound, ensuring it remains popular. In a 2007 poll, "Merry Xmas Everybody" was voted the UK's most popular Christmas song.

The single was certified UK Platinum by BPI in December 1980.

According to the Fan Club Newsletter for January and February 1974, the album was rewarded a Silver Disc for pre-order sales, even before the single's release. Within the first week of release, the single had sold 500,000 copies.

Also, according to the same newsletter, "Merry Xmas Everybody" was in such big demand that Polydor records had to make special arrangements to have 250,000 discs sent from Los Angeles, as well as 30,000 copies a day they were receiving from Germany