login

Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47393 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5137
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic Favourite Rock Bands/Stars)
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »
Devo
Devo is great and absolutely deserves to be on this list. They were quirky, offbeat, and really good songwriters. They also made some classic videos.

I heard a song I hadn't heard before today called Deep Sleep.  It's not all that great, but it has my new favourite lyric.

"A smile is just a frown turned upside down on the face of a clown with a mean streak."

EDIT:

Today's topic: Horror Films

Here's the original List:

#50: It
#49: Creature from the Black Lagoon
#48: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
#47: The House on Haunted Hill
#46: The Lost Boys
#45: The Mummy
#44: The Fly
#43: The Hitcher
#42: The Omen
#41: Gremlins
#40: Scream
#39: Return of the Living Dead
#38: Army of Darkness
#37: Prince of Darkness
#36: 28 Day Later
#35: Braindead
#34: Friday the 13th
#33: Silence of the Lambs
#32: Near Dark
#31: Shaun of the Dead
#30: Rosemary�s Baby
#29: Frankenstein
#28: Resident Evil
#27: Carnival of Souls
#26: Aliens
#25: The Birds
#24: The Bride of Frankenstein
#23: Suspiria
#22: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
#21: Evil Dead II
#20: The Sixth Sense
#19: An American Werewolf in London
#18: The Ring
#17: Dracula
#16: Jaws
#15: Nosferatu
#14: Halloween
#13: Phantasm
#12: The Blair Witch Project
#11: Hellraiser
#10: Psycho
#9: The Evil Dead
#8: A Nightmare on Elm Street
#7: The Shining
#6: The Exorcist
#5: Poltergeist
#4: Dawn of the Dead
#3: The Thing
#2: Night of the Living Dead
#1: Alien
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:41:34 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic Favourite Rock Bands/Stars)
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2011, 10:49:08 PM »
Devo
Devo is great and absolutely deserves to be on this list. They were quirky, offbeat, and really good songwriters. They also made some classic videos.

I heard a song I hadn't heard before today called Deep Sleep.  It's not all that great, but it has my new favourite lyric.

"A smile is just a frown turned upside down on the face of a clown with a mean streak."

Brilliant.

Sorry Semisonic, your lyrics will have to wait in the bar until Devo's done with their table. As a matter of fact, you're gonna have to bus Devo's table.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

MontyServo

Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 05:19:35 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 6 - Top Horror Films

Creepy as hell with lots of low budget gore.  One of my favorite horror films.  They just showed this a few weeks ago on TCM Underground and it still holds up.

The Beyond

The Wiki:
The Beyond (Italian: ...E tu vivrai nel terrore! L'aldilà, also known as Seven Doors of Death) is a 1981 Italian horror film directed by Lucio Fulci. It is considered by some horror film fans to be one of the best movies made by the Italian director. The second film in Fulci's unofficial Gates of Hell trilogy (along with City of the Living Dead and The House by the Cemetery), The Beyond has gained a cult following over the decades, in part because of the film's gore-filled murder sequences, which had been heavily censored when the film was originally released in the United States in 1983.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s3rqDvWaujU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/s3rqDvWaujU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic Favourite Horror Films)
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2011, 07:01:05 AM »

On the much subtler (but still creepy as hell) side of things...

The Tenant

The Tenant (French: Le Locataire) is a 1976 psychological thriller/horror film directed by Roman Polanski based upon the 1964 novel Le locataire chimérique by Roland Topor. It is also known under the French title Le Locataire. It co-stars actress Isabelle Adjani. It is the last film in Polanski's "Apartment Trilogy", following Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby. It was entered into the 1976 Cannes Film Festival. The film had a total of 534,637 admissions in France.

In Paris, the shy bureaucrat Trelkovsky rents an old apartment without bathroom where the previous tenant, the Egyptologist Simone Choule, committed suicide. The unfriendly concierge (Shelley Winters) and the tough landlord Mr. Zy establish stringent rules of behavior and Trekovsky feels ridden by his neighbors. Meanwhile he visits Simone in the hospital and befriends her girlfriend Stella. After the death of Simone, Trekovsky feels obsessed for her and believes his landlord and neighbors are plotting a scheme to force him to also commit suicide.

Personal Thoughts - If you have a hard time separating the art from the artist, you might have a hard time with any Roman Polanski film, though this one especially since he is both behind and in front of the camera.  While he might have done some abhorrant shit in the real world, he's also made some incredible films, as this is one of them.  It's really creepy, and while the ending might seem either obvious or out of left field (I could see either), I think it is very effective.  That said the whole film has an air of creepiness and a sense of losing one's sanity: is the main character jut nuts, or is he right to be paranoid...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZmhIMbdecEU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZmhIMbdecEU</a>
Here's a clip from Bravo's 100 scariest movie moments.  It's number 65.  Still, I also LOVE number 67.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZL-JfCzQFpM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZL-JfCzQFpM</a>
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:04:16 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 12:09:50 PM »
L.O.C. #6 - Top Horror Movies

Thoughts
I was really tempted to pick Martyrs but I decided to go with more of a fun, frightening creature feature type deal. Although, Martyrs would definitely be near the top of my list if we did this today; what an amazing, soul crushing movie. The Descent would also be near the top. This is just a great horror movie, plain and simple. It's a claustrophobic, super-intense, suspenseful, edge-of-your-seat fright fest.

The Wiki
The Descent is a 2005 British horror film written and directed by Neil Marshall. The film follows six women who, having entered an unmapped cave system, become trapped, and are hunted by subterranean flesh-eating Morlock-like humanoids.

Based on 164 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes, The Descent received an 84% "Certified Fresh" overall approval rating, with the sites consensus stating "Deft direction and strong performances from its all-female cast guide The Descent, a riveting, claustrophobic horror film. In this low-budget import from Scotland, director Neil Marshall has masterfully created a spelunking nightmare, which doubles as a compelling meditation on morality, vengeance, and the depths to which we might go for survival."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/l5I1q4KhKNU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/l5I1q4KhKNU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2011, 12:49:36 PM »
The Descent is a great movie, and was almost the movie I chose.  It was a toss up between that, the Tenant and Demons.  All very different films, so it wasn't an easy decision to make.  I don't think that Neil Marshall has made a movie equal to it before or since.  Dog Soldiers is fun, but it's hampered by bad effects and general amatuerism that he hammered out in the Descent to make a really strong horror movie.  Amazingly, the monsters don't show up until halfway through the movie, but it's tense all the way through using the claustrophobia of the cave paired with the fact that even without the horror that awaits them, they are way in over their head and could easily die.  Damn fine movie.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2011, 02:17:05 PM »
Yeah, The Descent is aces (though I'm a big, big fan of Dog Soldiers as well). The monster part I'm actually glad to get to because it doesn't scare me nearly as much as the claustrophobia/stuck-miles-and-miles-below-the-surface-of-the-Earth parts of the movie. The bit where one of the girls gets crammed in the tiny little tunnel and can't move... that's pure nightmare fuel for me, easy. Martyrs is also pretty freaky, but more in a I-feel-completely-terrible sort of way (that the American remake is set to star Kristen Stewart both confuses and intrigues me).

Doctor Who?

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2011, 02:25:04 PM »
Does The Room count as a Horror movie?

It has a monster in it after all(Wiseau's bare thrusting bottom).

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2011, 02:42:39 PM »

In The Mouth of Madness

Do you read Sutter Cane?

The Wiki
With the disappearance of hack horror writer Sutter Cane, all Hell is breaking loose...literally! Author Cane, it seems, has a knack for description that really brings his evil creepy-crawlies to life. Insurance investigator John Trent is sent to investigate Cane's mysterious vanishing act and ends up in the sleepy little East Coast town of Hobb's End. The fact that this town exists as a figment of Cane's twisted imagination is only the beginning of Trent's problems....

The film pays tribute to the work of seminal horror writer H. P. Lovecraft, with many references to his stories and themes. Its title is a play on two of Lovecraft's tales, The Shadow Over Innsmouth and At the Mountains of Madness, and insanity plays as great a role in the film as it does in Lovecraft's fiction. The opening scene depicts Trent's confinement to an asylum with the bulk of the story told in flashback, a common technique of Lovecraft's. Quick reference is made to the Old Ones of the Cthulhu Mythos, as well as to Lovecraftian settings and characters (such as Mrs. Pickman). As read on-screen, Sutter Cane's writings even incorporate direct passages from his work. All of Sutter Cane's novels have similar titles to H.P. Lovecraft's books (e.g., The Hobb's End Horror in reference to The Dunwich Horror).

The film can also be seen as a reference to Stephen King, who also writes horror fiction set in New England hamlets. The film also makes reference to the BBC Quatermass serials, which heavily influenced Carpenter at a young age. Hobb's End is named after a fictional London Underground station where something terrible is unearthed in Quatermass and the Pit.

Thoughts
John Carpenter's last really great horror movie, or even last good movie, depending on who you talk to (full disclosure: I've got a soft spot for Escape From L.A.). It's a very odd, occasionally meta film that really drives home an excellently creepy atmosphere. It plays like a cross between a Stephen King story and some Lovecraft horrors (I'm only rudimentary familiar with either but know enough to know it when I see it). Sam Neil is great as the leading man, and though he's only in a few scenes, Jürgen Prochnow completely sells it as the mad (kinda sorta) horror writer (he comes off like some kind of Kind/Gaiman combo, which is always good). The monster effects, while sparse when they happen, are quite neat, and overall it's a fairly freaky film as far as end-of-the-world scenarios go. It can be a bit hard to swallow sometimes, and the final act does drag a bit, but overall I really like this one, and think it a very worthy capper to Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy (with the perfect The Thing and the excellent Prince of Darkness). It's definitely a film that could use a little more love, which is one of the reasons I put it here instead of going with other faves of mine like Trick 'r Treat or The Mist.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_PFcOeM_Usk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_PFcOeM_Usk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2011, 04:18:26 PM »
In the Mouth of Madness was a movie I've always intended on seeing but never got around too.  It looks great and I love the concept (I love metafictional type stuff).

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2011, 04:22:22 PM »
In the Mouth of Madness was a movie I've always intended on seeing but never got around too.  It looks great and I love the concept (I love metafictional type stuff).
This one should be right up your alley, then. It's also on Netflix Instant right now, so you're running low on excuses to keep putting it off ;)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2011, 04:36:43 PM »
NetFlix Instant... in the states maybe.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »
Ah, an out-of-country individual, that's right. Well, it still shouldn't be too hard to rustle up somewhere.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 293
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »
Some may argue that this isn't a horror movie. They're wrong.

The Wiki:

Seconds is a 1966 American film starring Rock Hudson. Characterized sometimes as a science fiction thriller, but with elements of horror, neo-noir, psychedelia, and drama, it was directed by John Frankenheimer with a screenplay by Lewis John Carlino. The script was based on a novel by David Ely. The film was released by Paramount Pictures and was entered into the 1966 Cannes Film Festival.

Arthur Hamilton (John Randolph) is a middle-aged man whose life has lost purpose. He has achieved success in his career, but finds it unfulfilling. His love for his wife of many years has dwindled. His only child is married and he seldom sees her. Through a friend, a man he thought was dead, Hamilton is approached by a secret organization, known simply as the "Company." The Company's business is helping wealthy people who are unhappy with their lives to disappear and create new lives. When Hamilton agrees to talk to the Company, he is spirited away to a secret location. While waiting for his interview he is offered a cup of tea and then falls asleep. When he wakes, Hamilton is interviewed by Mr. Ruby (Jeff Corey), who shows him a film in which he appears to have raped a girl. The film, made while he was unconscious, is intended to persuade Hamilton that it is now too late for him to return to his old life. Hamilton feels compelled to accept the Company's services -- but fears that this coercive scheme foreshadows the unfortunate consequences of doing business with the Company. Hamilton's death is staged to make it look as if he perished in a hotel fire; a corpse is left at the scene that can be identified as his. Through extensive plastic surgery and mental and physical conditioning, Hamilton is transformed into Tony Wilson (Rock Hudson), a man who looks and acts much younger. He is provided with a new home, a new identity, new friends and a devoted manservant. The details of his new existence, including diplomas and other evidence of professional accomplishment that appear genuine, suggest that there was once a real Tony Wilson, but what became of him is a mystery. (I'll leave it here as to not spoil the rest of the film)

Beach Boys co-founder Brian Wilson saw the movie during its initial release, between sessions for Smile. Under the influence of drugs, the early stages of schizophrenia, and pressure to complete Smile, Wilson found Seconds an especially intense experience, that affected him personally (beginning with his arriving late; the first dialogue he heard onscreen was "Come in, Mr. Wilson", taking him by surprise). His state of mind shifted over the next months, between fantasies of escaping his own life in a similar way, and thoughts that perhaps rival producer Phil Spector had somehow convinced Columbia Pictures (sic) to make the movie "to mess with my mind". Wilson later abandoned the Smile sessions, and did not see another movie in a theater until E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in 1982.

Thoughts:
This is a trippy, freaky, amazing film from John Frankenheimer, one of my all time favorite directors. The cinematography by James Wong Howe is hypnotic and eerie. Seek this one out, it's so worth it.

WATCH THE TRAILER here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQhlCRpuX8Y
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »
This is one of those movies that's one of those "great movies no one has heard of."  I've only heard of it recently and all references to it are glowing.  This is a lot like the movie Don't Look Now.  Not easy to find, but everything about it sounds great.  And I loved the Manchurian Candidate (uh, not so much Reindeer Games) so I'm sure this is just as crazy.