Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47741 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
The Rest of the Best
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:13:23 PM »
50 lists!  Wow.  That's a lot of things we like (or think are interesting.  I'm kind of worried if that many people like Hitler on this board).  I always find that though this game/survey/goings-on has caused long bitter arguments, the lists have made for some fun times and a chance to share ideas and what we are interested in and even passionate about in some cases.  I think it's a good way to build a community in a forum and encourages participation, which is always helpful.  Yes, we are all here because we love Rifftrax, but why let it end there when we can discuss and share all the other stuff that we have taking up room in our brains.

Now as to the purpose of this post: this is were we can create our own entries for stuff that we think deserved to be on the list but didn't make it.  The premise is as such: Each day for the next 50 days, one of the topics will be the them of that day.  For example tonight (and tomorrow, since we are starting late) will be Top TV series.  I will post the original results.  Then anyone on the board can add an entry that didn't make it on the original list.  So maybe your favourite TV series is Green Acres, but it didn't make it on the original list.  Just add that entry to today's list.  Obviously, there's no numbering or counting down this time around, we'll just post entries that we think are cool.  That said, we're going to play it pretty lose on this one.  I advice that only one entry per person per day, but you can do more if you want.  I'd prefer you do one just so we can see the one thing you would have added to the list had you the chance, but if you want to add more, why not?  Just don't add like 10.  That's just too much per person on one day.  Also, if you miss a day, it's OK if you post about the topic from the day before or whatever (though you might want to make a note there).

I hope the basic premise isn't too confusing as to be lost on anyone.  Oftentimes, I'm not as clear as I intend to be with these things.  So let's begin...

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:22:45 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 06:16:54 PM »
And here's my entry for today/tomorrow:

The Prisoner

The series follows an unnamed British agent who abruptly resigns his job, and then finds himself held captive in a mysterious seaside "village" that is isolated from the mainland by mountains and sea. The Village is further secured by numerous monitoring systems and security forces, including a mysterious balloon-like device called Rover that captures those who attempt escape.

The agent encounters the Village's population, hundreds of people from all walks of life and cultures, all seeming to be tranquilly living out their lives. As they do not use names, they have each been assigned a number. The agent inquires of the Village's chief administrator, Number Two, "Who is Number One?", to which Number Two responds, "You are Number Six". The dialogue continues, "We want information", to which the agent responds "You won't get it!". "By hook or by crook, we will..."

The task of attempting to extract information from Number Six is carried out by the ever-changing "Number Two", acting as supposed proxy to the unseen "Number One". As the series unfolds, the audience learns that the Village authorities have other interests in Number Six aside from the knowledge he possesses: interests that often spare Number Six from the more destructive information-gathering techniques employed by the Village authorities upon other inmates.

Number Six, distrusting of anyone involved with the Village, refuses to co-operate or provide answers. Alone, he struggles with multiple goals: determine for which side the Village works, remain defiant to its imposed authority, concoct his own plans for escape, learn all he can about the Village and subvert its operation. Some of his schemes, while not resulting in an escape, do lead to the dismissal of an incumbent Number Two on two occasions. By the end of the series the administration, becoming desperate for Number Six's knowledge and fearful of his growing influence in the Village, take drastic measures that threaten the lives of Number Six, Number Two, and the rest of the Village.

The series features striking and often surreal storylines, and themes include hypnosis, hallucinogenic drug experiences, identity theft, mind control, dream manipulation, and various forms of social indoctrination. A major theme of the show is individualism versus collectivism.

Personal Thoughts
Man, what a great show.  I watched it for the first time only recently and while it has it's faults (some early episodes move a bit slowly at times) it's incredibly engrossing and smart.  I can also tell that it influenced some of my favourite comic writers too.  One of the strangest adventure shows of all time, but also one of the most ambitious.  I wish there were more shows that were willing to take viewers out of their comfort zone like this one did.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zKjFgdgp7yY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zKjFgdgp7yY</a>
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:18:45 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 06:20:51 PM »
BTW, if you are looking for the list, it was flagged as spam (I can understand why), but until it is unflagged, you can find the full list in the Masterlist thread (which also has a post waiting to be unflagged).

EDIT: And thanks to the moderator for stickying.  Much appreciated.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 06:23:46 PM »
One for Erik, I'll let him know. :)

MontyServo

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »
So we just post in here each day?  Sounds like a fun way to celebrate 50 lists of crap!

My entry for Top TV Shows is one that has been on for four seasons in the UK, but I have only recently discovered.  I fell in love with the show and although this last season was much weaker than previous years IMO, I have high hopes for future seasons.

LoC Rest of the Best - Day 1 - Top TV Shows
Benidorm
2007-present on ITV1

The Wiki:

Benidorm is an award-winning British television comedy-drama that is produced by Tiger Aspect for ITV and written by Derren Litten, co-writer of The Catherine Tate Show, exploiting the working-class stereotype of this popular tourist destination.

Benidorm is a prime-time ITV sitcom set in Spain, which features a strong ensemble cast composed of a number of well known faces. Set primarily in the Solana all-inclusive resort hotel, Benidorm follows regulars and first-time holiday makers on their holidays abroad. Despite their disparate backgrounds they all have one thing in common - a quest for getting value for money.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4TRvOwSt48s?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4TRvOwSt48s?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:52:49 AM by Monty »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »

Very smart, very funny show. Can't recommend this enough. You'll know whether or not it's your cup of tea after watching one episode.

The Wiki:

The Newsroom is an award-winning Canadian television comedy-drama series which ran on CBC Television in the 1996-97, 2003–04 and 2004-05 seasons. A two-hour television movie, Escape from the Newsroom, also aired in 2002. In the United States, The Newsroom airs on PBS stations across the country.

Set in the newsroom of a television station (which is never officially named, but clearly based on the CBC itself. The news show itself is called "City Hour"), the show — which was similar to such earlier series as the British Drop the Dead Donkey and the Australian Frontline — mined a dark vein of comedy from the political machinations and the sheer incompetence of the people involved in producing the nightly news.

The original 13 episodes were meant as a short run, not a multiseason series, and became one of the most critically acclaimed programs on Canadian television in the 1990s. Following the end of The Newsroom, Finkleman produced three different short-run series for the CBC, More Tears, Foolish Heart and Foreign Objects, all of which included Findlay as a linking character. (A Findlay-like character with a different surname had also appeared in Finkleman's pre-Newsroom series Married Life.)

However, none of these subsequent series were as well-received by the public or by critics, and the CBC began to seek a new set of Newsroom episodes. Escape from the Newsroom, which included a fourth wall-breaking plot digression in which the characters directly addressed the idea of reviving the series, was meant partly as a sarcastic response to that request. However, Finkleman ultimately agreed to produce 13 new episodes, which aired in the winter of 2004. The last four episodes of the second season were shot as a mockumentary. A third season of The Newsroom, consisting of six episodes, aired on CBC beginning February 14, 2005. All three seasons and Escape from the Newsroom are available on DVD.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/b9huazlmDI8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/b9huazlmDI8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 294
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
This one is a no-brainer for me...

The Wiki:

The Rockford Files is an American television drama series which aired on the NBC network between September 13, 1974 and January 10, 1980. It has remained in regular syndication to the present day. The show stars James Garner as Los Angeles-based private investigator Jim Rockford.
The show was created by Roy Huggins and Stephen J. Cannell. Huggins had created the television show Maverick (1957–1962), which had also starred Garner, and he wanted to try to recapture that magic in a "modern day" detective setting. He teamed with Cannell, who had written for Jack Webb productions such as Adam-12 and Chase (1973–74, NBC), to create Rockford.

The series' theme by composers Mike Post and Pete Carpenter was released as a single and went to #10 on the Billboard Hot 100, remaining on the chart for 44 weeks and won a Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement for 1975. In 2002, The Rockford Files was ranked #39 on TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time.

Producers Roy Huggins and Stephen J. Cannell devised the main character to be a rather significant departure from typical television detectives of the time; essentially Maverick as a modern detective, Rockford had served time in California's San Quentin Prison in the 1960s due to a wrongful conviction. After five years, he received a pardon. His infrequent jobs as a private investigator barely allow him to maintain his dilapidated mobile home (which doubles as his office) in a parking lot on the beaches of Malibu, California. Each episode of the show begins with a cold open of a telephone answering machine recording, often made by a client giving excuses for not paying Rockford's rate of "$200 a day, plus expenses". In early episodes in the show's first season, Rockford's trailer is located in a parking lot alongside the highway (address 2354 Pacific Coast Hwy) and near the ocean; for the rest of the series, the trailer is at Paradise Cove (address 29 Cove Road), adjacent to a pier and a restaurant (The Sand Castle now known as the Paradise Cove Beach Cafe).

In contrast to most TV private eyes of the time, Rockford wears low-budget 'off the rack' clothing and avoids fights. He rarely carries the Colt Detective Special revolver which he does not have a permit for, preferring to talk his way out of trouble. He works on cold cases, missing persons investigations, and low-budget insurance scams and repeatedly states in the series that he does not handle "open cases" to avoid trouble with the police.

A fun show clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3E2HgnXKAA

My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
The Prisoner

"You are Number, er, well, actually you don't have a number because you didn't make the list. Please wait in the bar."

This is a great show, and yeah, it can get way out there. "Engrossing" sums it up very well.

Benidorm
2007-present on ITV1

Never heard of this. The clip is pretty funny and I can see why it could be worth checking out.

"Hey, cut out that Rockford music. I'm Mitchell!"

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Today's topic!  SUPER-HEROES!

EDIT: I keep putting up the previous list to look at, but the system keeps thinking it's spam, so if you want to read it, go to the Masterlist of Crap Thread.

And here's my entry for today/tomorrow:

Booster Gold

In the 25th century Michael Jon Carter was a brilliant quarterback with great promise as a professional player. This potential was lost, when Carter was caught betting on games in which he played. "Booster" Carter, a nickname he received for his tremendous skills, had started gambling in order to pay for his mother's delicate operation. Realizing he could make enormous amounts of money, he continued to bet even after her recovery and was soon caught. Banished from the college athletics and shunned by the pros, Carter drifted throughout the eastern seaboard until he found employment as a janitor at the Space Museum. Once there, he realized that he had no future in that era, due to his past crimes. But while in college Carter became interested in studying the great heroes of the ages. When he came across Rip Hunter's Time Machine, he knew his future was in Earth's past. So he stole various pieces of advanced equipment, a security robot (Skeets), and the Time Machine itself and journeyed back to the 20th century. Soon after his arrival, Carter interfered in an assassination plot against the President and Vice-President of the United States. Using the publicity that followed, he took the name Booster Gold and became the world's first super-hero dedicated to commercial pursuits as well as noble causes (though he does sometimes have troubles with his priorities).

Personal Thoughts
What a fun character.  In an age of grim and gritty characters, Booster was always a breath of fresh air.  He's fun yet can be surprisingly noble (er... after a fashion) and has a really interesting character arc.  I especially loved him in 52 and his recent series, which is sadly soon coming to an end, though he will appear prominently in the new Justice League International series.

Plus he has a robot voiced by Billy West.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/N6Jycz6ZuyE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/N6Jycz6ZuyE</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ru8hY-pZYM8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ru8hY-pZYM8</a>
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:18:00 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Doctor Who?

Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic Favourite Super-Heroes)
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 06:57:16 AM »
Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:37:31 AM by Doctor Who? »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 07:16:34 AM »
Heh, yeah, maybe just take that one down and then put it up in 30 or so days.  Appreciate the enthusiasm though!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 10:02:57 AM »
L.O.C. #2 – Top Super-Heroes

I know she didn't exist when this list came out, but as we're playing it loose and she really needs to be acknowledged, I'm listing her.

HIT-GIRL

From a Comic Book Site:

Hit-Girl (real name Mindy Macready) was raised by her father, Big Daddy, her mother being murdered by frustrated criminals. For an unnamed amount of time, Big Daddy has been training Hit-Girl to kill, allowing her to fight alongside him to avenge his wife's death by killing many criminals, ending with boss-man Johnny G. As a result of this, she has a high knowledge and interest of weapons.

Hit-Girl is a skilled and brutal fighter. Unlike most girls of her age she is very interested in weapons and can handle death well. She doesn't seem to be at all bothered by blood and guts. She also curses like a sailor and as previously mentioned likes Hello Kitty, comics and Clint Eastwood and John Woo movies. There are very few moments where she acts like other little girls her age and has often proved herself to be far more mature than her crime-fighting counterpart, Kick-Ass. Hit Girl was created by Mark Millar and John Romita Jr.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CjO7kBqTFqo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CjO7kBqTFqo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 10:19:07 AM »
You'll be happy to know that Hit Girl is going to be getting her own series.  And BTW, catching up with wasn't around back there is one of the advantages of Rest of the Best.