Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47702 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Music Videos)
« Reply #420 on: August 22, 2011, 09:39:24 AM »

LoC Rest of the Best - Day 48 – Favourite Music Videos

Dare to be Stupid – “Weird” Al Yankovic

<a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x1asji" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x1asji</a>

"Dare to Be Stupid" is an original song by "Weird Al" Yankovic. It is a musical pastiche (or "style parody") of the band Devo.

Shortly after the song was released, Yankovic received a letter from Mark Mothersbaugh congratulating him on writing "the perfect Devo song". In an interview on VH1's Behind The Music, Mothersbaugh stated in reaction to the song that: "I was in shock. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard. He sort of re-sculpted that song into something else and, umm ... I hate him for it, basically."

The song was featured in The Transformers: The Movie. It was later released as a double a-side along with "The Touch" by Stan Bush.
The music video and song are, as Yankovic himself said, a "style parody" of Devo's works:

   Yankovic and his band wear the yellow radiation suits from Devo's cover of The Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" video throughout. Much of the performance segments of the video are modeled on the "Satisfaction" music video, including the man having a fiton a wallpapered wall and floor.
   Segments of the video are reminiscent of several of Devo's other videos:
   "Devo Corporate Anthem" – In one scene, the band is standing in the same pose as Devo.
   "Jocko Homo" – In another segment, the band wears nylon stockings over their heads.
   "Come Back Jonee" – In one scene, the elderly men dressed up in cowboy suits are reminiscent of the elderly men bowling in the "Come Back Jonee" video.
   "Freedom of Choice" – The use of stop-motion animation and computer graphics is also reminiscent of this Devo video. The use of Roman togas also comes from "Freedom of Choice," and at one point, a man must choose between a banana and an accordion - in Devo's original, it's a gun or a grenade.
   The man with a pipe, smiling and watching television with a chainsaw near the beginning of the video is a very typical Devo-like image as well, juxtaposing violent, out of context or unexplained occurrences and objects with a 1950s-like "wholesome American" feel. This man is meant to be J. R. "Bob" Dobbs, Head of the Church of the SubGenius.
   The swim goggles Yankovic wears over his eyes resembles those of Devo vocalist Mark Mothersbaugh's in the "Satisfaction" and "Come Back Jonee" video.

Personal thoughts:

Love Devo and “Weird” Al, so putting them together is a great match.  But the great thing about the whole thing is that despite it referencing Devo very heavily, it stands on it’s own as a call to arms to be stupid. I didn’t know Devo at all as a kid and found the video delightful and cool.

Also, does anyone know how to properly embed dailymotion videos?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:48:15 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #421 on: August 22, 2011, 10:12:05 AM »
It's on the YouTube.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMhwddNQSWQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SMhwddNQSWQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #422 on: August 22, 2011, 10:16:50 AM »
Unless you aren't American.  So I guess the uploader is a xenophobe.  Prove me wrong uploader!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #423 on: August 22, 2011, 10:32:49 AM »
Unless you aren't American.  So I guess the uploader is a xenophobe.  Prove me wrong uploader!

That blows.  Well, embedding is disabled on mine. And there's an ad to boot! Perhaps I should've just picked different video. Oh well.

L.O.C. #48 - Top Music Videos

Thoughts
One take!

The Wiki
The video was directed by Michel Gondry. It features Thom Yorke in a hospital by the bedside of a woman, played by Emma de Caunes, who appears to be his partner in the video. The whole video was shot in one take, quite remarkable considering the scene changes required. Attempts to interpret the surreal imagery and fit it with the song lyrics were dashed when Gondry eventually revealed that the video was autobiographical. Some may find thematic parallels with Gondry's later film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

EMBEDDING DISABLED

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #424 on: August 22, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »
They Might be Giants - I'm Impressed

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3CccPPDe2JU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3CccPPDe2JU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Pak's Thoughts: Stop Motion Robot Gladiators. I can't think of 3 tastes that would taste any better together than that. :^)

This is very cool. And the song is pretty good as well. I usually don't care all that much for their music, but I liked this one.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Celebrity Crushes)
« Reply #425 on: August 23, 2011, 07:51:10 AM »
Two days left.  Here's the celebrity crush list:

#56 Sofia Vergara
#55: Kelly Sweet
#54 Sandra Bullock
#53: Kate Winslet
#52 Julie Newmar
#51: Will Arnet
#50: Conan O’Brien
#49: Amy Acker
#48: Linda Cardellini
#47: Dana Delany
#46: Kari Byron
#45: Lauren Graham
#44: Mary Stewart Masterson
#43: Brian Blessed
#39: Brook Burke
#41: Isla Fisher
#40: Vincent Price
#39: Emily Blunt
#38: Mary Elizabeth Winstead
#37: Bruce Campbell
#36: Audrey Hepburn
#35: Christina Ricci
#34:Cindy Crawford
#33: Angelina Jolie
#32: Alison Pill
#31: Keira Knightley
#30: Johnny Depp
#29: Kirsten Dunst
#28: Scarlett Johansson
#27: Karen Gillan
#26: Seth MacFarlane
#25: Tiffini Theissen
#24: Jenna Fischer
#23: Helena Bonham Carter
#22: Danica McKeller
#21: Nicola Bryant
#20: Elizabeth Montgomery
#19: Emma Stone
#18: Carrie Fisher
#17: Alicia Silverstone
#16: Lea Thompson
#15: Jennifer Connelly
#14: Maggie Gyllenhal
#13:  Monica Belluci
#12: Anne Hathaway
#11: Amanda Seyfried
#10: Pheobe Cates
#9: Jessica Alba
#8: Morena Baccarin
#7: Joel McHale
#6: Jewel Staite
#5: Nathan Fillion
#4: Alyson Hannigan
#3: Zooey Deschanel
#2: Christina Hendricks
#1: Natalie Portman

Now who are yours?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #426 on: August 23, 2011, 07:52:24 AM »
Hmm which one from my little celeburem should I do? I'll have a think about it.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #427 on: August 23, 2011, 08:41:02 AM »
Ugh. I really do not get the love for Natalie portman. At all.

I think it's safe to say that there are many women that others find attractive, and that's just the way it is.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #428 on: August 23, 2011, 08:42:44 AM »
that's just the way it is.

Things will never be the same Ah yeah. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #429 on: August 23, 2011, 09:38:43 AM »

LoC Rest of the Best - Day 49 – Celebrity Crushes

Kate Micucci

Her TV credits include numerous television commercials, a recurring role as the babysitter/dogsitter/eldersitter Shelley on "Raising Hope", as well as Toni the barista on NBC's Four Kings, and guest roles on Malcolm in the Middle, 'Til Death, How I Met Your Mother, Cory in the House, Campus Ladies, and a recurring role on Scrubs.Her film credits include The Last Hurrah, Bart Got a Room and When in Rome.  She plays "Lily the IT girl" on Elevator Show produced by HBO's Runawaybox, which can be seen on YouTube. In early 2009, she released a five-track EP entitled Songs.

Micucci appeared in five episodes of Scrubs — "My Lawyer's In Love", "My Absence", "My Chief Concern", "Our Histories", and "My Finale" — as Stephanie Gooch, a ukulele player with whom Ted Buckland begins a relationship. She performs her song "Mr. Moon" as well as an adapted version of "Fuck You" (retitled "Screw You" for ABC), a song she typically performs with Riki Lindhome as part of the musical duo Garfunkel and Oates.

In 2009 she starred in the short Imaginary Larry, co-written and co-directed by Riki Lindhome, her partner in Garfunkel and Oates.

As of August 2009, Micucci can be seen on an advertising campaign for Hillshire Farms. In January 2010, she appeared in an advertising campaign for H & R Block.

Micucci performs "Playin' with Micucci" every third Monday at the Steve Allen Theater on Hollywood Boulevard, in Hollywood, California. The act is described as "Songs and Stories with Kate Micucci".

She can also frequently be seen performing with Lindhome in "An Evening with Garfunkel and Oates" at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater in Los Angeles.

She performed with William H. Macy on the ukulele to promote the DVD release of the film Bart Got a Room. The video has been circulated around the Internet on sites such as YouTube and The Huffington Post.

In 2010, she appeared in the Kristen Bell film When in Rome and also in an episode in the 6th season of the TV show Weeds as a slightly sedated waitress. She appears as Shelley in the show Raising Hope and appeared in some episodes of the HBO show, Bored to Death.

In February 2011 Kate appeared briefly in a Progressive Insurance ad as a waitress.

She has also voiced a character on Pendleton Ward's animated series Adventure Time.

Personal thoughts:

She’s cute (like a friggin’ doll person or something), she hot, she’s fun and she’s funny.  I mostly know her from her podcast appearances (she’s everywhere) and I hear she’s work on a show with Riki Lindhome on a Garfunkel and Oates show.  Good luck, lllllllllllllllllllladies.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXPcBI4CJc8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EXPcBI4CJc8</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CRm1yqSmsGY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CRm1yqSmsGY</a>

anais.jude

« Reply #430 on: August 23, 2011, 09:41:08 AM »
I would have much preferred more females have contributed. That being said, I am sure I will include many a good looking male when I get home

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #431 on: August 23, 2011, 09:48:37 AM »
Lindsay Ellis (Nostalgia Chick)

Allison Pregler (Obscurus_Lupa)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:54:35 AM by Darth Geek »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #432 on: August 23, 2011, 09:59:53 AM »
Fuck it. Second to last Rest of the Best day...I'll be posting a few a these.

Grace Kelly

Gorgeous. Sexy. Classy. She's a triple threat.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #433 on: August 23, 2011, 10:07:48 AM »
Fuck it. Second to last Rest of the Best day...I'll be posting a few a these.

Grace Kelly

Gorgeous. Sexy. Classy. She's a triple threat.

You beat me to it.

I'll add a couple other classics.
Donna Reed:

She's adorable in It's A Wonderful Life

Shirley Maclaine:

A big part of it is her personality.  She's just so feisty in Trouble With Harry and The Apartment (if you ignore the attempted suicide).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:13:13 AM by Kete »

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #434 on: August 23, 2011, 10:54:50 AM »
someone i completely forgot:

gillian anderson

and two from my list who didn't make it:

ellen muth

neko case
dF = 0
d*F = J