Author Topic: House, MD  (Read 44132 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: House, MD
« Reply #435 on: May 21, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »
Okay, the ending confused me on how it really ended.......

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #436 on: May 21, 2012, 07:21:11 PM »
Oh darn it,was the final episode tonight?

I have not watched the show in a long time but I meant to tune into the final.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #437 on: May 21, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »
Alright finale.  Given that they weren't given proper notice to organize the final story arc, and weren't even given a 2 hour finale, it was as good as it could have been.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4959
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #438 on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:20 PM »
Alright finale.  Given that they weren't given proper notice to organize the final story arc, and weren't even given a 2 hour finale, it was as good as it could have been.

Call me ignorant, but I'm pretty sure they knew it was the last season for at least a year.  I mean, Hugh Laurie said he certainly wasn't going to do any more seasons over a year ago since it keeps him away from his family so much.  Or was their last season cut short by an episode or two? It's certainly not like they were cancelled.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #439 on: May 21, 2012, 09:43:52 PM »
I found the finale quite satisfying.

I won't go into any details in case someone hasn't caught it yet, I'll only say that I'm glad it properly ENDED! I would've been incredibly annoyed if it had been one of those ambiguous "keep the fans debating" endings like, say, The Sopranos had. And I had this ever-present fear that's how they were going to end it.

Those SUCK! Oh, cliffhangers are fine if they're done well and get resolved three months later when the next season starts. However, when it's time to end the story, it's time to END IT. Speculating, analyzing, and discussing what might have happened is only fun if you're eventually gonna find out whether you were right or wrong.

Leaving the ending unknown is not poetic or deep: it's cheap, gimmicky, and lazy. Well, at least in my opinion.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4959
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #440 on: May 21, 2012, 09:58:06 PM »
I found the finale quite satisfying.

I won't go into any details in case someone hasn't caught it yet, I'll only say that I'm glad it properly ENDED! I would've been incredibly annoyed if it had been one of those ambiguous "keep the fans debating" endings like, say, The Sopranos had. And I had this ever-present fear that's how they were going to end it.

Those SUCK! Oh, cliffhangers are fine if they're done well and get resolved three months later when the next season starts. However, when it's time to end the story, it's time to END IT. Speculating, analyzing, and discussing what might have happened is only fun if you're eventually gonna find out whether you were right or wrong.

Leaving the ending unknown is not poetic or deep: it's cheap, gimmicky, and lazy. Well, at least in my opinion.

Well, this isn't really talking about the show anymore, but I disagree.  There are times when that's annoying, but I think if it speaks to what the show is really about then it's fine.  Angel's works really well, because they might or might not survive, but that really isn't the point: the point is, they are going to keep fighting against impossible odds (and, win or lose, in a blaze of glory), just like they've always have.  It just happens to be a lot more dire and immediate than before.  (of course, the meaning of that one isn't ambiguous, just the main character's fates).

Besides, I don't think everything needs to be spelled out.  Don't you think by making everything concrete and certain, it can drain things of mystique.  Is a mystery only worth while if it's solved?

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #441 on: May 21, 2012, 11:03:02 PM »
Angel's works really well, because they might or might not survive, but that really isn't the point: the point is, they are going to keep fighting against impossible odds (and, win or lose, in a blaze of glory), just like they've always have.

See, to me, that's STILL at least an ending. Or with Inception where the point was that he longer CARED if he was in the real world or not. That ended what was torturing him, so it was an ending to his story.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #442 on: May 21, 2012, 11:07:51 PM »
Eh, I think there will be arguments about the ending.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #443 on: May 21, 2012, 11:10:34 PM »

I've seen that pop up already. I see it as an attempt for some people to try to get some mystery that just wasn't there.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #444 on: May 22, 2012, 04:45:33 AM »

Well....

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #445 on: May 22, 2012, 10:45:18 AM »
Yeah, I agree.