login

Author Topic: Wilfred  (Read 2834 times)

anais.jude

Wilfred
« on: June 25, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »
Anybody check this out on FX? I liked it, I hope it gets better as the season progresses. I missed Elijah Wood

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 695
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: Wilfred
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:36:12 PM »
I watched it. Seemed pretty good. I never watch TV anymore, but this looked strange enough (I saw the ad on Youtube) that I had to check it out. Apparently this is a remake of an Australian show I've never heard of.

I liked the fact that they made it clear in the show that he wasn't hallucinating due to the drugs. That seemed to be a complaint among certain obsessive purists. BTW, him taking all those sleeping pills and still not being able to sleep is pretty much me on any given night. Except my pills aren't sugar pills....

spaceforarent

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 05:13:18 PM »
Just watched episode one. Me likey.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:47:34 AM »
It's definately different, that is for sure.

Last time I was in STL back in early June, was talking to my nephew who just came back from a Cards-Cubs game that day and he mentioned that they were apparently filming some scenes for Wilfred at the Cardinal game (since it is based in LA, I am not sure why they were in STL filming, anyway.....).   I guess for "far away" second unit stuff they used a Wood look alike and some other guy in the dog suit.  They were sitting a row behind them.   It was a day game and it must have been 101 degrees.   Anyway, around the second inning they smelled vomit and the poor schlub in the dog suit got sick from the heat and vomited and they had to leave the stadium.    I cannot imagine some guy trying to wear that dog suit in 100 degree heat.

Anyway, apparently there will be a show with them at a baseball game.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »
Watched this last night. I liked it. It's completely off the wall but it's got a lot of heart.

I cannot imagine some guy trying to wear that dog suit in 100 degree heat.

Ughh, that would be like throwing on a couple burqas and walking on the sun.

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:37:22 AM »
I saw it, and was entertained.  I hope they can catch their stride.  I don't really know how you would do a whole series about this concept, but I'm interested to see how they do it.

spaceforarent

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Who decided it was a good idea to air this at the same time as the new Futurama?

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:43:19 PM »
Who decided it was a good idea to air this at the same time as the new Futurama?

Catch the encore at 11/10c then.

anais.jude

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 10:24:42 AM »

DVR

spaceforarent

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »

DVR
I did end up catching the encore after I remembered they did the same thing with Archer. Another good episode, I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »
It's a pelican!

It was a pelican!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 05:44:27 PM »
Hmm, I never saw the original. I don't remember it being very big here (though I did hear about it, which is better than most other Aus TV shows, I guess), surprised there's a US remake.
FINE

spaceforarent

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »
It does seem like an odd shoe to remake for US audiences, but I'm glad they did. I checked out the first two episodes of the Australian version and it's also quite good. A lot of the same things happen, and some of the jokes are the same. The main difference is that he is actually with the girl from the start.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering why Drew at the end seemed familiar, he was Oz from the American Pie movies.

spaceforarent

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »
Anyone still watching? I'm still really enjoying it but think it still needs to reach its full potential. Really, really hope it gets a second season.

Also, I watched through the first season of the Australian version. There's a lot of the same jokes used even though mostly everything else is different. It's a lot weirder and definitely darker than the US version. For example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

spaceforarent

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 08:47:43 PM »
Seems like I'm the only one still posting about this show, but did anyone else keep watching? The season finale was phenomenal, really showed that this show has a lot of heart, and not just for a show about a man in a dog suit. 

And in case you were wondering, it is getting a second season.