login

Author Topic: TV News Thread  (Read 155997 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: TV News Thread
« Reply #885 on: August 15, 2018, 07:43:30 PM »
Honestly, if they can find a good writing crew, I'll be all for it.
https://geektyrant.com/news/warner-bros-is-developing-an-reboot-of-the-classic-sitcom-alf

gritty reboot wherein the first episode is all about cats disappearing en masse from cities. final scene is a very blood-soaked alf screaming in rage as he chases yet another cat.

The actual last episode of ALF was dark and disturbing enough, thank you.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #886 on: August 16, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »
https://geektyrant.com/news/warner-bros-is-developing-an-reboot-of-the-classic-sitcom-alf

gritty reboot wherein the first episode is all about cats disappearing en masse from cities. final scene is a very blood-soaked alf screaming in rage as he chases yet another cat.

I remember that. When he was captured by the government. I never knew if that was an intentional fuck you to the studio for cancelling the show, or if they had specific plans for another season based around that setup.
I remember they did an ALF TV movie a while afterwards that followed up on that.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3325
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #887 on: August 16, 2018, 05:37:58 PM »

I remember that. When he was captured by the government. I never knew if that was an intentional fuck you to the studio for cancelling the show, or if they had specific plans for another season based around that setup.
I remember they did an ALF TV movie a while afterwards that followed up on that.

I watched that movie once, on youtube while bored at work. It is... not good.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #888 on: August 16, 2018, 05:38:59 PM »

I watched that movie once, on youtube while bored at work. It is... not good.
Yeah, I remember not being impressed by it.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1076
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #889 on: August 16, 2018, 06:49:32 PM »
When it comes to Alf, I'm pretty sure I watched the animated series more often.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3085
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #891 on: August 20, 2018, 10:04:08 AM »
Netflix still hasn't figured out how to do weekly shows, both "The Break with Michelle Wolf" and "The Joel McHale Show" have been cancelled.

I liked the Joel McHale show, was meh about Michelle Wolf's show, it made me laugh once in a while.

Also, it looks like when we get the next six episodes of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt they will be the last, it has also been cancelled.  But they may do a movie as a wrap up.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #892 on: August 20, 2018, 06:30:16 PM »
I preferred the Break, but I was watching both. I knew the writing was on the wall when the last batch of Joel McHale Show eps dropped at once instead of weekly.
FINE

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5529
« Reply #893 on: August 21, 2018, 07:31:43 PM »
RIP Stefan Karl Stefansson (aka Robbie Rotten from Lazytown).

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #894 on: August 22, 2018, 07:34:30 AM »
The End of the Fucking Workd is getting a second season. Most of me is very excited about that because I loved the show and it’s characters. But it was a perfect contained arc by itself. I guess if the new season is rubbish I can always just ignore it’s existence.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #895 on: August 22, 2018, 04:51:09 PM »

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5041
« Reply #897 on: August 26, 2018, 08:41:01 PM »
That said, by and large, people seem to like the DC shows (Supergirl and the Flash in particular).  This, however, looks like a misfire.  A dreary misfire.  No one says that their favourite thing about the Teen Titans is how unfun they are.

I have tried three of those shows that people love and... people are wrong.

I agree.  Arrow and Gotham are particularly unwatchable for me (the others to a lesser degree).

I think it is partly because the DC TV (and film) is like DC comics: they are plot-driven, not character-driven.  Marvel (both comics and TV/film) are character-driven, with plots present, but what is going on with the characters internally and in their lives at the forefront.  I don't care for plot-driven, because I am interested in people, not 'events' per se.

There have actually been two DC shows I enjoyed.  Both were cancelled.  The two were Human Target, and Constantine (though I've only seen the latter once - not yet re-watched).  I am, as yet, unsure whether I will continue watching Black Lightning.  It is, of the current DC shows, the one that is most interesting to me, as the characters themselves are important.

Of course, it could also be the DC/Marvel 'dark'/lighthearted aspect that is at issue with the shows and films.  It seems that since 'Watchmen' and 'The Dark Knight Returns' were originally published, DC seems to think that success can only come from 'dark and gritty'... which makes them often unreadable/unwatchable (as this looks).  Human Target and Constantine also had more 'genuine' humor in them than the current Supergirl/Flash/Arrow/Legends/Gotham batch.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #898 on: August 26, 2018, 10:20:17 PM »
The Flash does supposedly eventually get better.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #899 on: August 27, 2018, 05:50:39 AM »
The Flash and Supergirl are the only ones I like, and they are lighthearted (most of the time) and very character driven. Legends of Tomorrow also had really good characters, but I got sick of it because the writing was just so stupid.