Author Topic: TV News Thread  (Read 156385 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5042
Re: TV News Thread
« Reply #825 on: May 14, 2018, 09:30:25 AM »
If only HB:AG were a series!  But I'll take what they can give us! :)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3327
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #826 on: May 14, 2018, 04:57:04 PM »
Most Adult Swim cartoons don't do it for me anymore. When they were new, I ate them up (mostly).
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #827 on: May 14, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »
The only Adult Swim cartoons I really got into were The Maxx (adapted from the comics, of course), with the only originals being the early Venture Bros (first season especially, going downhill from there), and Harvey Birdman, Attorney At Law (loved the not-so-internal monologuing of Birdgirl and how no-one ever really heard it :) ).

I haven't actually tried watching any of them since around the time they came out, however, so have no idea how I would react to them now.  I have The Maxx, all the Harvey Birdmans, and the first season or two of Venture Bros on purchased DVDs, so could if I felt I had the time and felt in the mood.  But I just haven't been in the mood.

Possibly that leads me to the same conclusion you are at, EJG III. ;)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3897
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #828 on: May 14, 2018, 08:29:38 PM »
I've found Harvey Birdman ages particularly well for an Adult Swim show. It didn't play to the gallows quite as often as its contemporaries, instead getting its humor from rapid fire in-jokes. It was ahead of its time that way.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #829 on: May 14, 2018, 09:38:53 PM »
Glad to hear it ages well.  Maybe i'll dig 'em back out to watch (possibly tonight, since I wasn't sure what to watch to kill time for the next five hours).

At the time Harvey Birdman, AaL was on, I was particularly interested in and amused by the deconstruction of all the Hanna-Barbera characters... particularly since I grew up with them all when they originally aired ('60s).  And Steven Colbert's presence always elevated the episodes he participated in.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #830 on: May 15, 2018, 06:03:50 AM »
The only Adult Swim cartoons I really got into were The Maxx (adapted from the comics, of course).

Wait, did they air The Maxx on Adult Swim sometime after it aired on MTV?

Speaking of comic books, there's going to be a Doom Patrol show.  A lot to ask for, but please be Grant Morrison-esque.

https://news.avclub.com/dc-universe-picks-up-a-live-action-doom-patrol-series-f-1826020957

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3327
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #831 on: May 15, 2018, 05:09:08 PM »
The only Adult Swim cartoons I really got into were The Maxx (adapted from the comics, of course).

I was going to ask the same thing. I used to love the Maxx, but these days I pretty much have zero interest in entertainment with rape (etc) in it, so I don't think I'll ever be going back to it.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #832 on: May 15, 2018, 06:30:57 PM »

Wow... I thoroughly spaced on that!  Nope, just MTV.

I was going to ask the same thing. I used to love the Maxx, but these days I pretty much have zero interest in entertainment with rape (etc) in it, so I don't think I'll ever be going back to it.

Very good point.  I haven't re-watched it in ages.  At the time I was working with survivors of often sexual trauma (usually in childhood, but sometimes again in adulthood) and found the take on post-trauma interesting.  I don't know how I would respond to it now, given how the head injuries have amplified emotional responses to the things I watch, as well as the PTSD from the three accidents making post-trauma material difficult to view.

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5538
« Reply #833 on: May 17, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »
It's back...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wswvNZveNHc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wswvNZveNHc</a>

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #835 on: May 18, 2018, 10:20:55 AM »
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:25:56 AM by The Lurker »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #836 on: May 18, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »
First reaction: Oh good. That's the voice cast. For a second there I was afraid we were getting some weird CW-Style reimagining of She-Ra.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #837 on: May 18, 2018, 10:48:56 AM »
First reaction: Oh good. That's the voice cast. For a second there I was afraid we were getting some weird CW-Style reimagining of She-Ra.

Or maybe the re-imagining is a Waiting for Guffman-style mockumentary.

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #839 on: May 18, 2018, 03:38:16 PM »
I dunno. I actually like Teen Titans Go (While still completely understanding why so many people hate it) but I don't really want ALL the old action shows to be turned into chibi-comedy vehicles.

I am very much a nostalgia-fueled man, but even I have to say at this point maybe we should just let the kids have their OWN pop culture.