login

Author Topic: TV News Thread  (Read 156376 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5042
Re: TV News Thread
« Reply #780 on: February 22, 2018, 04:15:15 PM »
The next to last line in the teaser pretty much sums up how it looks as is:  "It's gonna' blow!"

Taking the fairly interesting ReBoot series, and bastardizing it by turning it into a Tron/Power Rangers hybrid (with no in-computer original hero characters but the 'guide', that appears to create real-world hyjinx) really looks like an invitation to failure.  Stick with the original premise, but 'update' it, and it might be interesting.  1/2-clone two other franchises, and, well, probably not.  The premise, "bad guy takes control of Earth via computers," is hardly new (or interesting as a basic concept at this point, it has been so overused).
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
« Reply #781 on: February 22, 2018, 04:49:40 PM »
It's like they stripped all the joy out of it.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #782 on: February 22, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5538
« Reply #783 on: February 22, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »
Supposedly the original characters will be there and voiced by the original actors sans Tony Jay.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #784 on: February 22, 2018, 05:19:29 PM »
Yeah, but it still doesn't look like fun.

Offline justann

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #785 on: February 22, 2018, 07:39:42 PM »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #786 on: February 23, 2018, 06:00:41 AM »
Um... this is the "TV" news thread.  As in news that isn't REAL news.  But we do have a politics thread to post this on.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3092
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #787 on: February 24, 2018, 10:27:26 AM »
Netflix is doing a reboot of Lost In Space:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/I5X3vC-XsU0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/I5X3vC-XsU0</a>

And people are already crying that it is going to ruin their childhood. Oh the pain...  >:D

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #788 on: February 28, 2018, 01:42:15 AM »
Fuckin' Amazon Prime Video!

I finally remembered last night that the next entries in Amazon's The Tick series were available, so started watching them.  I just let them play sequentially as Amazon automatically brought up the next episodes when one ends.  After a few, I noticed some continuity issues, but figured they'd explain them.  They didn't.  So I thought it was a botched episode script or something.  I turn it off for the night after that episode.  I start up Amazon Prime Video tonight: and it shows that it automatically served me episodes 7, 8 ... AND FUCKING 11!

The damn automatic "next episode" sequence SKIPPED TWO EPISODES and put me down into the first half of the season 1 two-parter!

So if you haven't watched them yet.  Do NOT rely on Amazon's automatic 'next episode' process for these (unless you don't care if the sequence is messed up).
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #789 on: February 28, 2018, 06:35:40 AM »
When you go to the scroll of episodes are they in the correct order there?  That's the order the automatic play should have used.

I only use that feature once in a while, never seen it skip episodes, on Netflix I've seen episode descriptions swapped between episodes a few times, but not the actual episodes.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #790 on: February 28, 2018, 12:32:35 PM »
When you go to the scroll of episodes are they in the correct order there?  That's the order the automatic play should have used.

I only use that feature once in a while, never seen it skip episodes, on Netflix I've seen episode descriptions swapped between episodes a few times, but not the actual episodes.

The episodes were in order in the file listing.  The only thing I can think of (thought of just today) that MIGHT have been a contributor, is that during the end credits I tried to use the 'fast forward' or the button that on a DVD or Blu-ray results in a chapter skip.  If Amazon is set up oddly, it is possible it read that as an 'episode skip' or something.  Since I was focused on getting the credits off the screen in under the 90 seconds they take, not the little box in the corner, I couldn't/wouldn't have seen if the episode number in the tiny box in the lower right increased with pressing the button.  [Relatively easy to check, but brain's totally fried today, so may not get to it soon.  If I remember at all.]

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #791 on: February 28, 2018, 01:20:27 PM »

The episodes were in order in the file listing.  The only thing I can think of (thought of just today) that MIGHT have been a contributor, is that during the end credits I tried to use the 'fast forward' or the button that on a DVD or Blu-ray results in a chapter skip.  If Amazon is set up oddly, it is possible it read that as an 'episode skip' or something.  Since I was focused on getting the credits off the screen in under the 90 seconds they take, not the little box in the corner, I couldn't/wouldn't have seen if the episode number in the tiny box in the lower right increased with pressing the button.  [Relatively easy to check, but brain's totally fried today, so may not get to it soon.  If I remember at all.]

What are you using for a player, roku, fireTV, smart TV?   I gave up on the amazon app on the Roku and use the FireTV for Amazon stuff.  On the Roku the Amazon app used to fast forward with the right arrow (like ALL other Roku apps) but Amazon decided a while back to change it to that other button that is a pain to find quickly and I end up hitting the * button to bring up options.  Funny that they did that to the Roku app when they started selling better FireTV boxes...

Stinks having to have 2 boxes to have frustration free access to all my streaming stuff but they do seem to last a long time, longer than phones and other similar small computer like devices.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #792 on: February 28, 2018, 08:47:35 PM »

What are you using for a player, roku, fireTV, smart TV?   I gave up on the amazon app on the Roku and use the FireTV for Amazon stuff.  On the Roku the Amazon app used to fast forward with the right arrow (like ALL other Roku apps) but Amazon decided a while back to change it to that other button that is a pain to find quickly and I end up hitting the * button to bring up options.  Funny that they did that to the Roku app when they started selling better FireTV boxes...

Stinks having to have 2 boxes to have frustration free access to all my streaming stuff but they do seem to last a long time, longer than phones and other similar small computer like devices.

It's an interaction app directly in the Panasonic TV (65" plasma).  It is called 'VIERA Connect'.  I've used it for a few series on Amazon, and it never gave me problems before.  Probably because of contracts with the studios, Amazon is set up so that it is not possible to easily skip the credits like one does for parts of a show (i.e. the standard >> button doesn't work then).  However, a bit ago, I figured out that if you hit 'Return', and THEN the >>, it will allow the fast search function during end credits.  (I just forget that work-around most of the time.)

The more I think about it, the more likely it is that - contrary to EVERY OTHER bit of hardware and software in disc players and on computers - the use of the >>| (chapter) button acted to skip the next chapter to play, while still continuing to play the credits so it didn't give any indicator it was doing anything more than hitting the >> button did (i.e. 'nothing').

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #793 on: February 28, 2018, 10:47:57 PM »
Not sure I've ever run into an episode that wouldn't let me fast forward or chapter skip to the end on the Roku or FireTV boxes.

I'll use it if I know the box for the next episode will appear soon, once you've watched enough episodes in a series you get to know when that box will show up.  If the credits are long and the next episode box isn't coming up soon I usually find it faster to hit the back button to instantly quit the episode back to the episode list and then choose the next episode manually.

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5538
« Reply #794 on: March 06, 2018, 07:30:05 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fzmM0AB60QQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fzmM0AB60QQ</a>