Author Topic: TV News Thread  (Read 71548 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2104
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4950
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: TV News Thread
« Reply #751 on: November 08, 2017, 06:30:27 AM »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3807
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #752 on: November 08, 2017, 06:40:00 AM »
Or Kevin McAllister.  Still haven't heard from Caulkin since he had a band that was dedicated entirely to cover songs about pizza.

Online Retro Muppet Pastor

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 6
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #753 on: November 08, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
So Kevin James rose to fame mostly for The King of Queens on CBS.  It was your standard "ugly dumb guy with hot wife" sitcom, co-starring Leah Remini as the hot wife.  That show went off the air in 2007.  Then he did movies for a while.  Then in 2016 he returned to CBS to play essentially the same character.  Only this time he was a retired police officer instead of a delivery truck driver.  But he was still an ugly dumb guy with a hot wife.

This time, the hot wife was played by relatively unknown Taylor Spreitler.  Kevin James' character was older too, this time old enough to have an adult daughter and a son-in-law he didn't like.  But no Leah Remini..... until the end of the first season.

In the last two episodes of the first season, she played as a still active cop, and he came out of retirement to help her catch some people running an art forgery ring.  It was a 2 episode guest spot.  The episode was advertised and they threw in some corny callback jokes to the earlier show.  The two characters (Vanessa Sarlucci and Kevin Gable) are undercover as husband and wife.

So that would have been the end of it.  I nice callback, a team up of this comedy duo that had worked so well together for all those years in the past.

Except, it appears, CBS executives had a different idea.  They decided, I guess because maybe ratings were not as great as they wanted, that they wanted Remini as a regular.  Put the old band back together!  They couldn't be husband and wife again, because the Kevin Gable character was already married.  So.... they decided to fire Taylor Spreitler by killing the character offscreen between seasons and make the Leah Remini character (Vanessa) a regular.  Oh and now Kevin James and Leah Remini are front and center on the posters for the show.

I wanted to share this story because it's such a perfect example of bland TV making.  Middling ratings, so CBS decides to butt in and basically try to re-make King of Queens.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 323
« Reply #754 on: November 11, 2017, 07:04:25 PM »
Taylor Spreitler is the daughter. Erinn Hayes was the wife.

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #755 on: November 12, 2017, 02:48:09 AM »
Taylor Spreitler is the daughter. Erinn Hayes was the wife.

Derp.  That's what I get for not researching beyond opening the main IMDB page.  I just saw that the two characters had the same last name.  Like I said, I only saw two episodes of the show.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #756 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »
Amazon is going to do some kind of show set in Talkien's middle earth, apparently it's "some time" before Fellowship Of The Ring:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/14/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-prequel-not-for-purists/

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4950
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #757 on: November 14, 2017, 11:04:10 AM »
Amazon is going to do some kind of show set in Talkien's middle earth, apparently it's "some time" before Fellowship Of The Ring:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/14/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-prequel-not-for-purists/
*sigh* There are so many other fantasy books that could use a good adaptation. I know they don't all have the name recognition that LotR does. But how many non fantasy readers knew about A Song Of Ice And Fire series? They didn't even call the show that, and it was a huge success.
What about a TV show based on Dragonriders of Pern? There are a zillion of those books, and they are probably just as well known in the fantasy genre.

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #758 on: November 14, 2017, 12:11:59 PM »

*sigh* There are so many other fantasy books that could use a good adaptation. I know they don't all have the name recognition that LotR does. But how many non fantasy readers knew about A Song Of Ice And Fire series? They didn't even call the show that, and it was a huge success.
What about a TV show based on Dragonriders of Pern? There are a zillion of those books, and they are probably just as well known in the fantasy genre.
HBO took a gamble in greenlighting Game of Thrones.  It paid off greatly, but it was still a gamble.  Amazon probably is not willing to take as big a risk, and will go with something that is already popular, and thus safer.