Author Topic: TV News Thread  (Read 156286 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3897
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: TV News Thread
« Reply #570 on: March 10, 2016, 05:51:53 PM »
The lack of Warburton stings, but I've got high hopes for the new series. I think the last live show was ahead of its time, and the world is ready to poke fun at superheroes right about now.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3327
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #571 on: March 10, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »
The Tick reboot got a pilot order from Amazon!!!!

Sadly since they took so freaking long with it Patrick Warburton is no longer able to play the lead role...  :-\
Why wouldn't he be able to? He's not that old.

51 might be his idea of too old? But anyway, it might just be that he has conflicting commitments.
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #572 on: March 10, 2016, 05:59:45 PM »
The Tick reboot got a pilot order from Amazon!!!!

Sadly since they took so freaking long with it Patrick Warburton is no longer able to play the lead role...  :-\
Why wouldn't he be able to? He's not that old.

51 might be his idea of too old? But anyway, it might just be that he has conflicting commitments.

The article blames Crowded.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #573 on: March 10, 2016, 06:17:28 PM »
Here's my admission: I don't think I ever made it all the way through the live action Tick.

It was fine, but I find superhero parody to be not all that interesting, and pretty played out.
FINE

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #574 on: March 10, 2016, 06:28:30 PM »
Agreed.  Warburton was a great casting choice, but it was merely a competent comedy series.

I think the Tick had no specific age so 51 isn't enough of an older age where it makes a difference (unless you have Wilfred Brimley level of wear and tear.  HE WAS ONLY 51 when he was in the Thing).  But I don't mind having a new actor.

The part that's confusing me is describing Arthur (who now has a last name) as schizophrenic.  I'm hoping this is just a really weird error because that would be a weirdly wrongheaded (call him Mr. Lucidity) and potentially insensitive portrayal.  So much so, I'm just going to assuming that someone made an error.  Especially with Edlund at the helm, who knows his characters.  I hope Edlund is also going to be showrunner rather than just producer.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
« Reply #575 on: March 10, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
Yep, I really enjoyed Warburton's Tick. The show did a good job with it's tiny budget, and restricted characters. One with a bigger scope would be fun to see.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #576 on: March 10, 2016, 07:21:14 PM »
The part that's confusing me is describing Arthur (who now has a last name) as schizophrenic.  I'm hoping this is just a really weird error because that would be a weirdly wrongheaded (call him Mr. Lucidity) and potentially insensitive portrayal.  So much so, I'm just going to assuming that someone made an error.  Especially with Edlund at the helm, who knows his characters.  I hope Edlund is also going to be showrunner rather than just producer.

This synopsis clears things up:

"In the new incarnation, the blue suit-wearing Tick is recovering from a memory loss. He ends up re-teaming with Arthur to fight evil. Newman’s Arthur, played in the Fox series by David Burke, had been labeled as a schizophrenic because of his statements that evil plans to rule the city, and no one believes him until he runs into Tick. Curry’s Dot Everest is a nurse who loves her brother Arthur to death and worries about him."

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #577 on: March 10, 2016, 10:50:35 PM »
That makes MUCH more sense.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #578 on: March 14, 2016, 08:16:58 PM »
Here's what Warburton is doing that has him too busy to be The Tick:

http://www.themarysue.com/patrick-warburton-lemony/
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #579 on: March 15, 2016, 07:17:44 AM »
The fact that it's depriving us of Warburton Tick makes me want to read that headline without italics.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6577
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #580 on: March 15, 2016, 12:17:32 PM »
While Warburton may not be that old, doing a superhero show is pretty taxing. On top of the physical issues of being in that suit all the time (he was literally molded into it in the morning and couldn't get out, even to pee, all day). I don't blame him for not wanting to do that again.

I'd still love to see Warburton be a superhero, though. He's my first choice for Shazam (Captain Marvel).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:19:11 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #581 on: March 15, 2016, 08:59:56 PM »
Probably no Hercules cameo by Kevin Sorbo in the Xena reboot:

Xena And Gabrielle Are Definitely Lesbians In NBC’s Reboot Of “Xena: Warrior Princess”

http://dlisted.com/2016/03/14/xena-and-gabrielle-are-definitely-lesbians-in-nbcs-reboot-of-xena-warrior-princess/

Offline Toplar Scarre

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #582 on: March 16, 2016, 01:45:09 AM »
I can see the message boards right now.

Half the people say that you are sexist because you like the idea that Xena and Gabrielle are lesbians.
The other half say that you are sexist because you hate the idea that Xena and Gabrielle are lesbians.
Toplar Scarre is a proud backer of the 2017 RiffTrax Live! Kickstarter campaign.

The Toplar Scarre RiffTrax collection count: 385 Riffs and growing.

http://eerielatenight.com: for the best horror hosts, classic B horror films and live chat with horror hosts and horror movie fans.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #583 on: March 16, 2016, 02:03:46 AM »
I can see the message boards right now.

Half the people say that you are sexist because you like the idea that Xena and Gabrielle are lesbians.
The other half say that you are sexist because you hate the idea that Xena and Gabrielle are lesbians.

Why would someone say you were sexist for being OK with characters being lesbians?
FINE

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #584 on: March 22, 2016, 07:01:58 PM »
WTF?!

http://www.avclub.com/article/peter-serafinowicz-your-new-tick-234177

If you have never seen it, check out his show, Look Around You.
FINE