Author Topic: TV News Thread  (Read 155777 times)

Zombie Monty

Re: TV News Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2012, 07:50:38 PM »
Went to the Star Wars Detours panel at Celebration VI earlier today, and have a lot more faith in the show than I would have just going by that trailer.

The show is not like Robot Chicken in that it is not just a series of bits and vignettes.  Each episode will have a story and Seth Green said the idea was to be like The Simpsons or Futurama where they have this huge universe to play with.  There are three main locales for the show.  The still under construction original Death Star, Dex's Diner on Coruscant, and Tatooine (mainly Jabba's Palace).  The show itself seems to take place between Episodes III & IV.

The clips they showed at the panel make this show look a lot more promising.  And having Seth Green there to sell us on the concept of the show also helped.  Hopefully it will be given enough time to find itself (like so many other shows) because it looks like it could become something really special.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »
Disappointed to hear ABC cancelled Good Christian Bitches.  I don't think it was a popular show but I enjoyed it.  Reminded me so much of home...

And CBC cancelled CSI Miami!  No more Horatio taking off his sunglasses and muttering one-liners.  I sure will miss that show.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7352
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »
And CBC cancelled CSI Miami!  No more Horatio taking off his sunglasses and muttering one-liners.  I sure will miss that show.

wait, what? we were producing that dreck? ???
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »
CBS

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »
Just saw a trailer for Last Resort (on ABC)

http://www.hulu.com/last-resort-2012

From the writers of The Shield comes this dramatic new international action-thriller about treachery, treason, and nuclear brinksmanship. "Last Resort" contemplates establishing of a new society in the modern world, and character becomes everything when unthinkable decisions must be made.

Could be interesting. Meaning it'll probably get cancelled just when things get good.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »
Teaser trailer for "Arrow" (based on Green Arrow)
http://www.hulu.com/arrow

After a violent shipwreck, billionaire playboy Oliver Queen was missing and presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the Pacific. As Oliver reconnects with those closest to him, he secretly creates the persona of Arrow - a vigilante - to right the wrongs of his family, fight the ills of society, and restore Starling City to its former glory. The series stars Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen, Colin Donnell as Tommy, Katie Cassidy as Laurel Lance, David Ramsey as John Diggle, Willa Holland as Thea Queen, with Susanna Thompson as Moira Queen and Paul Blackthorne as Detective Quentin Lance.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/374337#i0,p0,d2

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3886
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2012, 03:54:47 PM »
If you ever wanted to collect the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons, but didn't want to have to buy a gazillion different mini-collections to get them, here you go:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/04/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-the-complete-classic-series-on-dvd

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 633
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2012, 08:54:35 PM »
http://www.thundercats.ws/news/thundercats-cartoon-news-3/rip-thundercats-2011-2012-504/

Cancelled. RIP Thundercats, you were a pretty great show. UP NEXT, YET ANOTHER SEASON OF BEN 10. :/
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »
America's Son:  It's like Hamlet, but America and it probably turns out revenge doesn't lead to everyone dying in the event that we are picked up for another season:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/foxs-modernday-hamlet-tv-show-is-to-be,85255/

From the AV Club
Shakespeare: a fellow of infinite jest, of excellent fancy, yet where be his gibes now? His gambols? His flashes of merriment? His production deals? Alas, poor Shakespeare, he died centuries before getting a good agent, so it's up to modern-day TV writers to haul his skull from the ground and kiss the lips that those mining the public domain have kissed we know not how oft, the latest of these being Fox's "sophisticated, contemporary spin" on Hamlet. According to Deadline, former West Wing writer Paul Redford has just sold America's Son, a Hamlet-based "part juicy soap, part political thriller" set among the corridors of power in Washington D.C., where a "renegade JFK Jr. type" investigates the mystery of his father's death in a car accident, only to uncover a vast web of family lies that leads him to seek revenge. (Though not Revenge, as that show already exists and is based on The Count Of Monte Cristo. And not on motorcycles, as that's the contemporary spin on Hamlet offered by Sons Of Anarchy.) Once more, the play's the thing [that you can rewrite with younger sexy people and claim for yourself].

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2012, 08:48:02 PM »
So the Coens are producing a Fargo TV series.  If it doesn't have Frances McDormand, I don't see the point.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/fx-is-going-ahead-with-that-fargo-pilot-there,85370/
First rumored in March, then greeted with a skeptical yet charmingly Minnesotan "Oh, yah?" before being forgotten, a TV adaptation of the Coen Brothers' Fargo is now officially in the works at FX, with the Coens on board as executive producers.
All well and good, but I would have preferred a Barton Fink sitcom in which Barton is still toiling away at scripts that will never be made into movies and occasionally John Goodman comes by to deliver a package.  I know it seems like a long shot, but where there's a head, there's hope.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:53:50 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2012, 01:25:29 AM »
So the Coens are producing a Fargo TV series.  If it doesn't have Frances McDormand, I don't see the point.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/fx-is-going-ahead-with-that-fargo-pilot-there,85370/
First rumored in March, then greeted with a skeptical yet charmingly Minnesotan "Oh, yah?" before being forgotten, a TV adaptation of the Coen Brothers' Fargo is now officially in the works at FX, with the Coens on board as executive producers.
All well and good, but I would have preferred a Barton Fink sitcom in which Barton is still toiling away at scripts that will never be made into movies and occasionally John Goodman comes by to deliver a package.  I know it seems like a long shot, but where there's a head, there's hope.

I think they're still seriously planning a sequel to Barton Fink called Old Fink. They're just waiting for John Turturro to reach the proper age.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2012, 09:59:50 AM »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Ooo!  I guess the question is will it take place in the classic universe or the current and what kind of ship will he helm.  This might sound ignorant, but is it possible that he's joined the Klingon Empire and captains a bird of prey?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »
It would be awesome to see a bird of prey set show (I've wanted to see one for years) but it'll likely be a Federation ship.

I would love to see this show however, whatever they do with it. :)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2012, 02:21:23 PM »
Hoping that anything gets done.  There's not much in the article except that Dorn is "working on it".  Which could mean he's writing down episode titles on a notepad.

A possible excerpt:

City on the Edge of Forever and a Day
Worf's New Hat!
Fisherman Worf
Tangerine Dream: Son of Moog!