Author Topic: TV News Thread  (Read 156623 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: TV News Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »
IS ‘LOST’ WRITER DAMON LINDELOF RETURNING TO TELEVISION?

With ‘Prometheus‘ less than a week away from its domestic release, screenwriter Damon Lindelof has announced that he’s taking a break from movies to go back the world that birthed his career in the first place: television. Why is this such a big deal? Easy: Lindelof was one of the head writers and showrunners on a little show you might have watched called ‘Lost.’

Since the uber-controversial finale of ‘Lost’ two years ago, Lindelof has been a busy man. In addition to writing the kinda-sorta ‘Alien’ prequel ‘Prometheus’ for Ridley Scott (a dream gig for a dyed-in-the-wool geek like him), Lindelof is one of the credited writers for the currently-filming ‘Star Trek 2.’ Recently, it was announced that his mysterious science fiction screenplay ’1952′ was going before the cameras courtesy of director Brad Bird. If that sounds like a lot of sci-fi to you, well, Lindelof agrees:

“I think certainly film-wise, I’m spaced out, I think I’ve got the robot-spaceship future bug out of my system.”

Hence the new deal Lindelof just inked with Warner Bros. TV, which will allow him to create a new show of his own. This is a new step for him, since ‘Lost’ was co-created by several other people (including ‘Star Trek’ director JJ Abrams). Can we expect another show like ‘Lost’ this time around? Lindelof thinks not, saying that he’s done with shows with “wackadoo mythology.” He says that he is open to both broadcast and cable shows but if he has a solid idea, he’s not giving up any details quite yet…although he definitely hints that’s he’s not done playing in the genre world:

“What I love about television is character-based storytelling, and I want to continue to explore the fantastical way of doing it where characters live in a world that is a little skewed.”

Since the deal is brand new and there aren’t any concrete show details to actually report yet, it’s time to break out those ‘Lost’ DVDs and play the waiting game.

“Wackadoo mythology.” I love that!
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »
'Drive' Director Nicolas Winding Refn to Bring 'Barbarella' to the Small Screen

Barbarella will be getting a sexy small screen makeover from Nicolas Winding Refn and producers Gaumont International Television and Martha De Laurentiis.

The Drive director will put his auteur mark on the iconic character made famous by Jane Fonda in the 1968 film from Roger Vadim based on Jean-Claude Forest’s French comic book character. Refn will direct and executive produce the series alongside De Laurentiis and co-executive producers Julien Forest and Jean-Marc Lofficier.

Refn called Barbarella “one of the ultimate counter-cultural characters” and said “I look forward to bringing this unique character to life for a new generation of fans.”

De Laurentiis said Refn has “the perfect vision to elevate such an iconic character like Barbarella and bring her to new audiences worldwide.”

Gaumont’s Vice CEO Christophe Riandee added: “Nicolas is one of today’s hottest directors and it was an obvious choice that we get him on board with this project.”

Quick casting idea:

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2012, 02:55:45 PM »
'Drive' Director Nicolas Winding Refn to Bring 'Barbarella' to the Small Screen

Barbarella will be getting a sexy small screen makeover from Nicolas Winding Refn and producers Gaumont International Television and Martha De Laurentiis.

The Drive director will put his auteur mark on the iconic character made famous by Jane Fonda in the 1968 film from Roger Vadim based on Jean-Claude Forest’s French comic book character. Refn will direct and executive produce the series alongside De Laurentiis and co-executive producers Julien Forest and Jean-Marc Lofficier.

Refn called Barbarella “one of the ultimate counter-cultural characters” and said “I look forward to bringing this unique character to life for a new generation of fans.”

De Laurentiis said Refn has “the perfect vision to elevate such an iconic character like Barbarella and bring her to new audiences worldwide.”

Gaumont’s Vice CEO Christophe Riandee added: “Nicolas is one of today’s hottest directors and it was an obvious choice that we get him on board with this project.”

Quick casting idea:

I like everything about what you just posted.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2012, 02:56:53 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6k0XUAfIlxA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6k0XUAfIlxA</a>

Looks like they might not have all the cheapness of the original, but don't forget the continuity gaffs that made the original so good.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:53:30 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »
Why do we need a U.S. version of Sherlock Holmes?  That just doesnt make sense to me. 

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7358
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »
because!
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »
Is there anything this guy isn't involved with?!? Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Damon Lindelof Developing Tom Perrotta's 'The Leftovers' at HBO

Damon Lindelof has found his first TV series project since ABC's Lost. The former co-creator of the island-set drama is developing a small-screen adaptation of author Tom Perrotta's novel The Leftovers at HBO, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Lindelof will co-write the project with Perrotta under his rich three-year deal with Warner Bros. Television. HBO will produce the effort alongside WBTV. Perrotta will also executive produce with Ron Yerxa and Albert Berger. Should the project move forward from its development status, Lindelof would serve as showrunner. 

Leftovers, which was published in May, revolves around the Rapture and follows a group of people who are left behind in the suburban community of Mapleton after the sudden departure of more than 100 people as they begin to rebuild their lives after their mysterious disappearance.

The Lost co-showrunner inked a three-year deal with WBTV earlier this month, marking his return to TV after Lost's six-season run. More recently, he helped develop former Lost scribes Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz's ABC drama Once Upon a Time, which was renewed for a second season in May.

In addition to the co-writing Prometheus, Lindelof has the upcoming Star Trek sequel as well as Disney's 1952 set up on the big screen.

I like the concept; seems to lend itself quite well to his style. The fact that it's HBO bodes extra well, too.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2012, 10:31:28 AM »
JERRY SEINFELD’S NEW SERIES SERVES UP ITS FIRST TRAILER

You know, it’s been a good long while sinec we’ve seen Jerry Seinfeld on TV in anything worthwhile (yes, we absolutely refuse to count ‘The Marriage Ref’).  We know he’ll be appearing later this season in an intriguing extended arc on FX’s comedy gem ‘Louie?’ but what’s the ‘Seinfeld’ comedian’s new web series all about?  The first teaser may or may not provide the answer…

Crackle has revved up the first teaser for legendary comedian and classic car collector Jerry Seinfeld’s all-new web series ‘Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.’  The series, which will debut on Crackle.com July 19, follows Seinfeld and his network of famous friends as they, you guessed it, cruise around town together and eventually get coffee.

The first run will contain appearances from such famous faces as ‘Seinfeld’ co-creator Larry David, ‘Seinfeld’ co-star Michael Richards, Ricky Gervais, ‘30 Rock‘s Alec Baldwin and former ‘Saturday Night Live‘ star Colin Quinn.  The first teaser is below, but we warned, there isn’t much to go on, or even much of any dialogue at all.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Pe7J-8qIPY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9Pe7J-8qIPY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
Was that Joel at 25 seconds in? Also I saw Brian Regan!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2012, 05:57:44 PM »
'Fringe' Duo Adapting 'Sleepy Hollow' for Fox

Fox is going for a ride with Ichabod Crane.

The network has given a put-pilot commitment to an adaptation of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow from Fringe creators Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The duo's dramatic take on Sleepy Hollow is described as a modern-day supernatural thriller based on the 1820 short story in which Ichabod Crane partners with the town's local female sheriff to bring peace to a beleaguered community.

Kurtzman and Orci are attached to write the script alongside Phillip Iscove, who created the concept. The duo -- whose credits also include Alias, Hawaii Five-0 and features including Cowboys & Aliens -- will executive produce alongside Len Wiseman (Underworld, Total Recall), who will also direct. (Wiseman previously helmed the pilot for Hawaii Five-0.)

Could be cool; good pedigree, anyway.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »
Was that Joel at 25 seconds in? Also I saw Brian Regan!

Yes, that's Joel!  Excitement!

He don't look too excited though.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Community's Dan Harmon Developing Comedy for CBS — But There's a Twist

For a dude without a job former Community boss Dan Harmon is one very busy Human Being.

The scribe, who as previously reported is nearing a deal to develop a comedy project for Fox, has just inked a blind script pact with CBS for a new half-hour series, TVLine has learned.

The twist? Harmon is venturing outside his wheelhouse and trying his hand at a traditional multi-cam comedy. (His potential Fox show may or may not be multi-cam too.)

Harmon, who was ousted as Community showrunner earlier this summer, also has an animated pilot called Rick & Morty in the hopper for Adult Swim.

From unemployed to potentially overexposed in the blink of an eye. I actually don't care how much he's involved in as long as it's all quality. Better him putting out different types of things than somebody like McFarlane just recreating the same fucking show over and over.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2012, 02:37:03 PM »
M. Night Shyamalan Jumping Into Scripted TV With Syfy Project

Syfy is getting into business with feature filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan.

The cable network has given a put-pilot commitment to a project from Shyamalan and Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Marti Noxon titled Proof, marking his first foray into scripted television, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.

Shyamalan, who made his mark with The Sixth Sense, would direct the Universal Cable Productions project. Proof centers on the son of a billionaire tech genius who, following an accident that claims his parents' lives, offers a large reward for anyone who can find proof of life after death.

Shyamalan and Noxon will co-write the project and serve as EPs. Ashwin Rajan, of Shyamalan's Blinding Edge, also will serve as an exec producer.

Shyamalan's jump to the small screen comes after Syfy renewed Total Blackout and Lost Girl, opted not to move forward with Sanctuary and bid farewell to veteran series Eureka. He also has some history at the network. In 2004, the then-Sci Fi Channel was involved in a controversial "special," The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan, that ended up being a marketing ploy for his film The Village.

Yeah, this seems like a good place for him at this point in his career.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »
How did Marti end with him?  She must have lost a bet.