login

Author Topic: TV News Thread  (Read 155938 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: TV News Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »
Please note, however, that there's already a great show called the Newsroom.

I can only hope that's directed at everybody else on the forum besides me.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2012, 07:00:34 AM »

I was pretty sure you were a fan, but it's been a while since I've looked at Best of the Rest.  Generally, I always give one strike against a movie or TV show (deserved or not) that shares the name with a pre-existing one, particularly if the pre-existing one is good.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2012, 11:37:40 AM »

I was pretty sure you were a fan, but it's been a while since I've looked at Best of the Rest.  Generally, I always give one strike against a movie or TV show (deserved or not) that shares the name with a pre-existing one, particularly if the pre-existing one is good.

I take every opportunity I can to promote that show. It's fucking brilliant. If I could, I'd strap people in and force them to watch it Clockwork Orange-style.

I agree with you about the title. The first thing I thought of was "oh, don't call it The Newsroom!"

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »

I take every opportunity I can to promote that show. It's fucking brilliant. If I could, I'd strap people in and force them to watch it Clockwork Orange-style.

I agree with you about the title. The first thing I thought of was "oh, don't call it The Newsroom!"

Or Crash.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »
Fox Pulls 'Breaking In' From Schedule
The network will air "New Girl" encores in its place through May.

Fox has pulled sophomore comedy Breaking In.

Beginning April 24, when Breaking In was slated to return, the network will air encores of Zooey Deschanel's New Girl in its place at 9:30 p.m. The repeats will follow new episodes of New Girl until May 8, when the season finale is scheduled to air.

The remaining episodes of Breaking In, which stars Christian Slater and Megan Mullally, will air at a later date.

Created by Adam F. Goldberg and Seth Gordon, the Sony TV-produced Breaking In has struggled in the ratings since it launched its second season in March, hovering around 3 million viewers. The show had originally been canceled last May, but was brought back by Fox for a slot on the midseason schedule.

The news comes after Fox officially renewed New Girl, which saw a 22 percent jump last night with the help of a Glee lead-in, for a second season.

This goddamn thing just never had legs. I'm glad to hear New Girl got renewed. I quite enjoy that show.

'Walking Dead' Creator Robert Kirkman Developing New Show for AMC
The cable network is developing the comic book creator/executive producer's newest title, "Thief of Thieves," with "Walking Dead" producer David Alpert and former EP Chic Eglee attached.

AMC is doubling down on Robert Kirkman.

The cable network is reteaming with The Walking Dead creator/executive producer to develop his newest comic, Thief of Thieves, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively. The Image Comics/Skybound title revolves around a master thief with a dual identity who, while struggling to quit the business, opts to steal only what has already been stolen.

Kirkman and Walking Dead producer David Alpert of Circle of Confusion will reunite with Chic Eglee -- with whom they worked on the freshman season of the hit zombie drama -- on the project. Eglee, whose credits include the Showtime double-life drama Dexter, will serve as showrunner should Thief of Thieves move to series.

"Much like The Walking Dead brought horror to television in a unique and groundbreaking way, I feel Thief of Thieves can do the same thing for heist stories, showing the humanity of all the characters, including the criminals," Kirkman says.

Released in February, the first two issues Thief of Thieves each sold out on their respective release dates; issue No. 3 is in stores Wednesday.

Kirkman, who created Image/Skybound's Walking Dead in 2003 and continues to pen each monthly issue, developed the collaborative title Thief of Thieves based on his experience in the writers' room of the zombie drama. Nick Spencer penned the first arc of Thief of Thieves, with Kirkman on board as head writer to oversee the series.

"AMC recognizes the limitless ideas generated by the comic industry," Kirkman says. "Their dedication to bringing The Walking Dead to life as a TV show has been key to its success and I'm excited about the potential of Thief of Thieves to reach similar levels of success." 

Walking Dead has proven to be a valuable property for the network, with its second season finale in March shattering cable ratings marks with 9 million total viewers and records in  the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49, 25-54 and 18-34 demographics. The March figures marked the third time the AMC series broke the demo records, besting its own record highs for the second time.

"Working with AMC has been a tremendously positive experience and I'm looking forward to continuing and strengthening our relationships there and I can't neglect to mention I've been dying to work with Chic again since we wrapped on The Walking Dead Season 1," Kirkman says. 
In addition to Thief of Thieves, Eglee (The Shield) is also developing another comic property, Brian Michael Bendis' Image-turned-Marvel/Icon title Powers, which is in the works at FX.

"It's incredibly exciting to put the band back together with Robert, Chic and AMC; it just feels great," Alpert says.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2012, 10:29:54 AM »
Fox Pulls 'Breaking In' From Schedule
The network will air "New Girl" encores in its place through May.

Fox has pulled sophomore comedy Breaking In.

Beginning April 24, when Breaking In was slated to return, the network will air encores of Zooey Deschanel's New Girl in its place at 9:30 p.m. The repeats will follow new episodes of New Girl until May 8, when the season finale is scheduled to air.

The remaining episodes of Breaking In, which stars Christian Slater and Megan Mullally, will air at a later date.

Created by Adam F. Goldberg and Seth Gordon, the Sony TV-produced Breaking In has struggled in the ratings since it launched its second season in March, hovering around 3 million viewers. The show had originally been canceled last May, but was brought back by Fox for a slot on the midseason schedule.

The news comes after Fox officially renewed New Girl, which saw a 22 percent jump last night with the help of a Glee lead-in, for a second season.

This goddamn thing just never had legs. I'm glad to hear New Girl got renewed. I quite enjoy that show.

Breaking In losing Michael Rosenbaum was huge.  I LOVED the first season, but I've had a hard time getting into the new one.  I've liked each episode, but not having Dutch around bummed me out.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »
AMC is rocking!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2012, 03:05:01 PM »
I have to say, despite my dislike of McConaughey, this sounds like it could be a good show.

The American Horror Story model is all over the cable drama True Detective, a prospective new anthology series that will follow a different crime drama every year from multiple perspectives, and—for the first eight episodes, at least—will star Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey, whose participation is made possible by the reduced time commitment and also their chakras, or something. Directed by Jane Eyre’s Cary Fukunaga, the show will find the two real-life pals playing Louisiana detectives as they hunt a serial killer over the span of 17 years, while also engaging in a friendly competition to see who can drawl out the most consonants and still be intelligible. As of now the show doesn’t have a network home, but with the attached star power—and both two completed episodes and a show bible from acclaimed noir writer Nic Pizzolatto—no doubt that will change soon.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/woody-harrelson-and-matthew-mcconaughey-will-costa,72272/

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »
I have to say, despite my dislike of McConaughey, this sounds like it could be a good show.

The American Horror Story model is all over the cable drama True Detective, a prospective new anthology series that will follow a different crime drama every year from multiple perspectives, and—for the first eight episodes, at least—will star Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey, whose participation is made possible by the reduced time commitment and also their chakras, or something. Directed by Jane Eyre’s Cary Fukunaga, the show will find the two real-life pals playing Louisiana detectives as they hunt a serial killer over the span of 17 years, while also engaging in a friendly competition to see who can drawl out the most consonants and still be intelligible. As of now the show doesn’t have a network home, but with the attached star power—and both two completed episodes and a show bible from acclaimed noir writer Nic Pizzolatto—no doubt that will change soon.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/woody-harrelson-and-matthew-mcconaughey-will-costa,72272/

It does, especially with Woody on board.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Adult Swim Orders Eight Pilots, Including a Project From 'Community's' Dan Harmon

Ahead of Adult Swim’s upfront party Wednesday night, the Turner-owned network has announced a collection of pilots.

Among the younger-skewing net’s development projects: an animated Harold & Kumar project and an animated effort from Community’s Dan Harmon.
Here’s a look at Adult Swim’s pilots:

Untitled Animated Harold & Kumar Project (In Development)
A Lionsgate-produced animated version of the eponymous stoner comedy series. As The Hollywood Reporter first reported in November, film stars John Cho and Kal Penn are on board to voice Harold and Kumar, respectively, while A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas scribes Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg are attached to pen the script.

Rick & Morty
A genius inventor and his less-than-genius grandson and the life journeys they share. The 30-minute project hails from Harmon (Community, Channel 101) and Justin Roiland.

Colonel Wallace (Working Title)
The 15-minute project from Greg Cohen (Late Night With Conan O'Brien, King of the Hill, TV Funhouse) that centers on an eccentric Southern fried chicken magnate and his adventures with his family.

Coffin Dodgers
A half-hour project, from Dave Silverstein and Matt Jeser (Drawn Together), about misfit grumps who get into Animal House-style trouble at a cozy suburban retirement home.

Green Bench: The American Day Dream
A group of friends have pooled their money to buy a large office space for their business. The only problem is they haven’t quite figured out what that business is. In the meantime, it’s an awesome headquarters where their petty, self-centered and mischievous minds can wander. The half-hour project come from the Internet sketch comedy sensation Green Bench and produced by Dakota Pictures.

Freestyle Love Supreme
The half-hour live-action comedy from Ars Nova (Black Dynamite, In the Heights) revolves around IT guys who work on their freestyle rapping at the office, much to the annoyance of their co-workers.

King Star King
A 15-minute animated pilot from JJ Villard (Monsters vs. Aliens) and Eric Kaplan (The Big Bang Theory) about a modern-day He-man who’s half-warrior, half-idiot.

Rolling With Dad
The half-hour animated effort centers on a brilliant but disabled man dealing with his much less intelligent family. The project counts Seth Grahame-Smith (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter; Tim Burton’s Dark Shadows) and David Katzenberg (The Hard Times of RJ Berger) as producers.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »
Is it possible that this is why he's stepping down for Community?

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »
Is it possible that this is why he's stepping down for Community?

It's possible, although my gut tells me that he's a headache for NBC and they want to bounce his ass. It's total speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if NBC made him taking a lesser role part of the renewal deal.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does with the new animated show.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2012, 06:07:24 PM »
HBO To Develop 1980s Wall Street Comedy Starring Rob Riggle With Adam McKay, Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg And Chris Henchy

EXCLUSIVE: The Other Guys gang is back together, this time on HBO. The pay cable network is developing a comedy project for Rob Riggle to star and produce. The single-camera comedy, based on an idea by Riggle, is being written by Adam McKay and Chris Henchy. Set in the world of bond traders in 1980s Wall Street, it revolves around a successful, hard-living boss (Riggle) who lives a dark, self-centered, unhealthy life. McKay and Henchy are executive producing with their Gary Sanchez Prods partner Will Ferrell as well as Mark Wahlberg, Stephen Levinson, Peter Principato and Paul Young. The project, which stems from Riggle’s development deal with HBO, reunites three of the stars of The Other Guys – Ferrell, Walhberg and Riggle — with the film’s writers McKay and Henchy. It was on that movie that McKay, Wahlberg, Ferrell and Riggle formed a working relationship and set out to find a project on which to collaborate.

Riggle originally developed the idea for the Wall Street comedy with Wahlberg’s Closest To The Hole Prods, Levinson’s Leverage and Principato-Young. Following Riggle and Wahlberg’s stint together on Other Guys, the Daily Show alum starred in Wahlberg and Levinson’s CBS’ comedy pilot Home Game and was attached to the producing duo’s HBO comedy project Lifestyle Lemonaid last year. Riggle, repped by CAA and Principato-Young, is currently seen in Sony’s hit 21 Jump Street and was recently named host of this year’s ESPYs.

Sounds promising, and with big guest star potential.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7353
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »
In Fall 2013, Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane will team up with Neil deGrasse Tyson in a bid to bring back COSMOS, the iconic television series written by Carl Sagan, his wife Ann Druyan, and astrophysicist Steven Soter. Druyan and Soter will co-produce with MacFarlane, and Tyson will be filling the shoes of Sagan as host of the series, which is scheduled to air on Fox.
http://io9.com/5911225/can-seth-mcfarlane-and-neil-degrasse-tyson-rekindle-our-passion-for-science <- video at link.

i'm all for science shows, but i don't know if i trust seth mcfarlane or fox with one. :-\
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2012, 02:10:37 PM »
I can understand Fox, but what is wrong with Seth McFarlane in regard to science?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.