Author Topic: Please note:  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 443
Please note:
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:10:24 AM »
That all of the "mysterious messages" were written in cursive a form of writing that I've been saying for 20 years now is horrible if not impossible to read because the flowing lines and connected letters promotes laziness, scribbles and squiggles all of which makes the writing impossible to read.  If you intend for others to read what you wrote block, print, letters is where it is at.

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 327
Re: Please note:
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:00:15 AM »
That all of the "mysterious messages" were written in cursive a form of writing that I've been saying for 20 years now is horrible if not impossible to read because the flowing lines and connected letters promotes laziness, scribbles and squiggles all of which makes the writing impossible to read.  If you intend for others to read what you wrote block, print, letters is where it is at.

I know exactly what you mean. I work in the shipping business. If you're going to hand address something, ALWAYS print the address. I hate when people address stuff in cursive. Even when it's neatly written, it's still harder to read than printing, even most bad printing. Cursive may be faster to write because you don't have to pick up the pen, but are you really in that big a hurry?

The only thing EVER I write in cursive is my signature. If I tried to write something in cursive now, after having gone so long not using it, even I probably wouldn't be able to read it. I can't actually make out my name in my signature anymore.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »
Since most everything I write is typed now even my printing has gone downhill, my signature is also now just 2 squiggly lines.

Amazing how dated that short is in just over 25 years, everything is now typed on a computer....

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »
Had to laugh today thinking of this short, I was setting up an instrument to run student samples from lab and several of the labels on the vials were so poorly written I had to guess at the spelling when typing them into the computer.

Offline kjpod

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 4
  • The "It's" man vs. his mortal enemy the "Its" man
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:10:30 PM »
One other thing that slipped past the riffers: While they noted that the postman would normally have been able to deliver the letter to the address and not care about the name, what they didn't notice was that the setting (and, in fact, the address) was an apartment building -- and none of the letters listed an apartment number!  So even if the names were decipherable they'd still be a pain to deliver.

Offline Darkwalker

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »
Gave up on cursive in third grade after they tried to teach it to me. I figured one form of written communication was enough for me, why teach me a second?