login

Author Topic: Xmen comics ending in october!  (Read 2521 times)

Doctor Who?

Xmen comics ending in october!
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:06:08 PM »
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20110609/ENT/110609500/0/FRONTPAGE

I knew comics were in bad shape sales wise but I did not know they were in this bad of shape.  I have not read comics in years(ever since civil war they have just been too depressing if you ask me)but this still makes me kind of sad.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Xmen comics ending in october!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
"The duo has a complex history and relationship with each other rooted far back in the simmering romantic tension between them and Jean Grey"
Ah, yet more places for Ultimate Marvel to go....

It's sadish certainly.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:31:09 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »
"The duo has a complex history and relationship with each other rooted far back in the simmering romantic tension between them and Jean Grey"
Ah, yet more places for Ultimate Marvel to go....

It's sadish certainly.

I have no doubt there are comics somewhere devoted to that.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 01:50:58 PM »
Pretty sure there were comics about Wanda and Pietro prior to The Ultimates too come to that...  ;)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 987
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 04:08:19 PM »
Doc, that's not the only X-Men title. There's still an adjective-less X-Men title. And this is the third time "Uncanny" has been cancelled now.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 04:34:12 PM »
Doc, that's not the only X-Men title. There's still an adjective-less X-Men title. And this is the third time "Uncanny" has been cancelled now.

But isn't it the oldest Xmen title?  Still kind of sad.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
So, for the comic book newbies...... does this mean that Marvel will not be making any more X-Men comics featuring Wolverine?

Aren't they going to start filming a new Wolverine movie soon?

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »
I think the real shame is that Marvel finally noticed that while comics aren't selling as well, people are buying movie tickets in droves, and are more than happy to shuffle a few series off the mortal coil even if they can just resurrect them as movie franchises down the road...or, in the case of X-Men, currently.  Just like how DC announced a complete and total reboot (though I haven't read the thread about it, I noticed it), Marvel seems to be wanting to do the same thing, just with the Ultimates universe they've had for a few years.  So, it probably won't be long until all of the old titles are shelved to make way for the Ultimates brand.

I don't mind reboots and refreshing things that are getting long in the tooth, but for Pete's sake, does EVERYTHING have to be rebooted and retired all at once?  I'm not just talking comics, I'm talking everything.  The past few years seem like the Age of the Reboot.  Wouldn't be surprised if Reboot got a reboot.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5118
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 08:16:17 PM »
Personally, I don't think X-Men needed to be rebooted (which is pretty much where the arc is going), but I do think that the books need to be consolidated a little better.  They have a good creative stable, but with so many books, many of them being tie ins, it seems a little daunting for someone like me who hasn't read X-Men in years to get into it.  I think they need to have one major X-Book and release it three times a month with a braintrust of writers, like they did for Spider-Man.  It was very successful there.  As for numbering, it's not a big deal to me.  It'll go back to legacy numbering eventually.  Hopefully, they'll use the reboot as a chance to stop themselves from diluting product.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 987
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »
So, for the comic book newbies...... does this mean that Marvel will not be making any more X-Men comics featuring Wolverine?

No, Bob, Wolverine will be fine. He's had his own book since the late 80s, plus he appears in the other X-Men books as well. (Astonishing X-Men, for example. That's a third X-men title.) Frankly, there are months where he appears in  third of all Marvel books.

And this is one of the problems. Right now, you've got X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, a bunch of spinoffs and a few X-Men oriented miniseries being published right now. (Looking at last week's release schedule, it looks like Astonishing, non-adjective, X-factor, X-Men Great Power and a Wolvie/Hercules miniseries came out. And another 2 books, including Wolvie's solo title, came out yesterday.) They're overexposed and have been that way for quite a while. Losing some of the books is probably a good thing, both creatively and financially.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 09:26:30 PM »
For the record ive liked Xfactor although i havent been able to read it in a while.  Also i dont like what they did to layla, i liked her chaos theory power better. 

Doctor Who?

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 03:51:33 AM »
Hey anyone else think another problem besides there being too many titles are the big events like Civil war that keep happening in comics.

I mean first there are too many tittles to keep track of and then on top of it is seems like every two years or so there is some big event that is supposed to change comics as we know them.  My problem with this is that they seem to happen to often(how many times can you have the inter world change before it gets old)and you have to buy every issue of every comic in print to follow the story.  I get think we would see sales of comics increase if there are fewer titles and more of the stories were stand alone.  I mean right now you can't just jump in and start reading an Xmen comic you have to buy every other Xmen comic out there and in some cases every Marvel comic period just to have some idea of what is going on,I think they must be losing some sales to that sort of thing too.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 08:10:38 AM »
I mean right now you can't just jump in and start reading an Xmen comic you have to buy every other Xmen comic out there and in some cases every Marvel comic period just to have some idea of what is going on,I think they must be losing some sales to that sort of thing too.

If you want to jump into a Marvel storyline look for their ".1" titles.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 09:42:26 AM »
I mean first there are too many tittles to keep track of and then on top of it is seems like every two years or so there is some big event that is supposed to change comics as we know them.  My problem with this is that they seem to happen to often(how many times can you have the inter world change before it gets old)and you have to buy every issue of every comic in print to follow the story.  I get think we would see sales of comics increase if there are fewer titles and more of the stories were stand alone.  I mean right now you can't just jump in and start reading an Xmen comic you have to buy every other Xmen comic out there and in some cases every Marvel comic period just to have some idea of what is going on,I think they must be losing some sales to that sort of thing too.

I have solved this in two ways.  One digital comics.  The marvel website lets me puruse and my leisure and get caught up (even though they are months behind)  and the other way is to wait for the collection to come out.  which i love to read, who wants to read 15 pages at a time anyways thats just silly. 

Doctor Who?

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »

I have solved this in two ways.  One digital comics.  The marvel website lets me puruse and my leisure and get caught up (even though they are months behind)  and the other way is to wait for the collection to come out.  which i love to read, who wants to read 15 pages at a time anyways thats just silly. 

Well if I had highspeed I would give digital comics a try.