login

Author Topic: FireRiffs.com!  (Read 196 times)

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 153
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
FireRiffs.com!
« on: April 05, 2018, 10:32:33 AM »
After a lot of contemplation I've finally pulled the trigger and launched a FireRiffs website.  All products will still be purchased via Rifftrax and Gumroad, but now they can all be found in one convenient place.  As much as I'd like to sell directly, the cost of doing that didn't seem worth it given my average sales.  The site still has some polishing to go but the main stuff is up and running.  Check it out and feel free to let me know what you think and if there is anything that you think is lacking or could be improved on.

Online Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 324
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
Re: FireRiffs.com!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »
It would look a lot nicer and be more helpful if all your riff posters were the same size, and in a grid. Also, make sure every element fits on the screen. I haven't looked at everything on the site, but the Superman Returns preview is too large to fit in my browser.
They made a five-minute song seventeen times longer. We're cutting it down to size. The QuipTrack for The Christmas Shoes is AVAILABLE NOW at QuipTracks.com.

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 04:10:44 PM »
It would look a lot nicer and be more helpful if all your riff posters were the same size, and in a grid. Also, make sure every element fits on the screen. I haven't looked at everything on the site, but the Superman Returns preview is too large to fit in my browser.
I've thought the same thing but haven't figured out to do it on Wordpress.  There has to be some way to get those posters in a grid and resize the videos but I haven't figured them out yet. I saw the video and was like, "Damn, that is huge."  Got to do some research and find a way to fine tune that.  Thanks for the advice.

Online Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 324
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 05:24:01 PM »
Does wordpress use HTML? If so, a grid is super easy, as is resizing your posters.
They made a five-minute song seventeen times longer. We're cutting it down to size. The QuipTrack for The Christmas Shoes is AVAILABLE NOW at QuipTracks.com.

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 06:39:32 PM »
Does wordpress use HTML? If so, a grid is super easy, as is resizing your posters.
It does.  I was hoping to do the whole thing in visual mode but it's no good for something like this.  The HTML it generates is a hot mess.  I made a blank page and rebuilt the catalog page in HTML mode and once satisfied with it I copied and pasted the code over the code in the original page.  It looks better now.  Now to figure out the youtube videos.  When I pasted in the youtube embed code Wordpress changes it to what is basically a bulletin board code like tag.  I'm not sure if I can resize with it but I'm going to try.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 06:41:55 AM »
Looks nice so far.  I'm trying to get a Wix site up and running (well, have been since January, because like most stuff, life has made me put my riffing stuff aside yet again for a few months), but Wordpress does give it a nice, clean look.

Using the embed code directly from Youtube has been problematic in the past for even posting on here.  I don't know if doing the stuff here will fix it on there (i.e., changing the wacky code stuff in the URL from v=nln;fn!!LOL to v/nln;fn!!lLOL), but it might be worth a shot.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 48
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 09:28:35 AM »
I've thought the same thing but haven't figured out to do it on Wordpress.  There has to be some way to get those posters in a grid and resize the videos but I haven't figured them out yet. I saw the video and was like, "Damn, that is huge."  Got to do some research and find a way to fine tune that.  Thanks for the advice.

One of the upsides of Wordpress is that there are a lot of plugins available that cover a lot of things.  (The downside being there's more of a learning curve for Wordpress than, say, Wix.)  Most of the time, you can find plugins that do what you want for free from wordpress.org.

I did some googling and found these: https://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/grid-layout/  Looks like there's some good options there, but not sure how much work they would be to learn (though "WP Easy Columns" looks like a good one--it looks plenty flexible, and has strong reviews).  I've got a wordpress site and have mucked about plenty with getting things set up how I like, but that hasn't included grid layouts.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:52:36 PM »
So just a quick update.  Figured out quite a few things to polish up the site.  Sadly I can't use plug-ins because I am using Wordpress.com for a host and in order to use plug-ins for their software that is free and can be used on other servers for free with all the plug-ins you please, I need to have their most expensive hosting plan.  Yeah, makes a lot of sense doesn't it?
But there is a lot you can do without plug-ins if you put your mind to it, some of which are things there are plug-ins for.
Resized the sample videos on riffs with samples so they aren't enormous.
Also put a star rating system on each riff using the free version of Polldaddy.  Who needs all the bells and whistles as long as you can get have a simple rating system?
Yep, my visitor will be very impressed.   ;D