Author Topic: Stephen King's IT.  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Stephen King's IT.
« on: November 26, 2010, 05:12:48 AM »
I just finished reading this book on Wednesday.  My first exposure was through the TV miniseries in the early 1990s, but back then I thought a 1200+ page book was a little too much for me.

The miniseries definitely didn't explain the story nearly as well as the book.  But I guess that's to be expected when you try to compress over 1200 pages into 4 hours.  They did a much better job with The Stand, but then again, that miniseries was twice as long.  I can't fathom any of these being compressed into a single feature length movie.

It was a good book, except for the part near the end after the kids nearly defeat IT and then get lost in the sewers.  The solution to get out is just about the most disgusting thing I've ever read.   What the hell is wrong with Stephen King?  The solution, for those of you who haven't read the book, is:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's a bit of a narrative handwave so that it doesn't sound completely depraved, but the book would have gotten along fine without it.

Also one thing that puzzled me about the Ritual of Chud. 

When it was first explained, Bill said that the idea was that you bite into each other's tongues and tell jokes.  If the human laughs first, the demon It will consume him.  If It laughs first, It is banished for 100 years. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

UncleDes

Re: Stephen King's IT.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:05:12 AM »
Like all of King's work this book is overly long and contrived. You can miss out the middle third and not miss anything crucial. I strongly believe there is a prequal: Stephen King's "SH"

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 06:01:13 PM »
Most books are overly long in my opinion.  Stephen King is one of the few authors who make me feel like it's worth the wait to get to the end.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »
What the hell is wrong with Stephen King?

Drugs,a warp mined, more drugs
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »
My impression of all Stephen King stories: "Something/someone is possessed. Everybody dies, except those who survive. Incomprehensible plot twist THE END!"

Offline FLOCK of RABID SHEEP?!?!

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
pretty much.  his stuff seems a bit too much like he is putting himself in the lead role.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 07:53:01 PM »

When did this come out?  When did it come out relative to the rest of his body of work?  I thought It was one of his earlier books.

It depends on when you started reading him. It came out in '86, so to a newbie, in the last 25 years he's written another 40 books, including The Green Mile, Most of the Dark Tower series, Misery, the Derry stuff and a bunch of others. To folks who were reading him in the 15 years before that though, this was the follow up to Carrie, Salem's Lot, Christine, Firestarter, Cujo, The Shining, The Dead Zone, Danse Macabre, Creepshow, Pet Cemetery, Different Seasons, the first Dark Tower book, the Bachman stuff and the frigging Stand. It's kind of a demarcation point between his "I'm writing supernatural horror" period and his "I'm writing psychological horror" period that he was stuck in for quite a while. And coincidences with him cameo in Monkeybone.  Coincidence?

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »
I would argue that Stephen King hasn't written a half decent non-Dark Tower novel since Pet Sematary.