Author Topic: DC Comics Rebooting All Major Franchises, Starting in September  (Read 4043 times)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
Re: DC Comics Rebooting All Major Franchises, Starting in September
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 06:15:29 PM »
I'm all for it, minus putting Grant Morrison in charge of Superman. That guy sucks.

You sir, are in the very small minority there.  I think he is one of the smartest and funnest writers in the industry today, and is never afraid to take things in strange new directions.  Considering that All Star Superman is considered one of the best Superman stories of the decade, I think he's perfect for the character.

What story turned you against him so much?

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 06:17:49 PM »
I'm all for it, minus putting Grant Morrison in charge of Superman. That guy sucks. But other than that, I'm excited for it. It will give me a chance to get in on the ground floor of a continuity without having to read MOUNTAINS of backstory, A LOT of which is really stupid.  But they COULD HAVE gone the Ultimate Marvel route without pissing off fans of the current canon, I'll concede that point.

I have dropped in and out of collecting several times over the years. I usually just jump on to a new story arc and go from there. With the power of the internet I can easily find a wiki link or blog post to give me a summary of earlier stories if I get confused by a back story plot point.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »
I'm all for it, minus putting Grant Morrison in charge of Superman. That guy sucks. But other than that, I'm excited for it. It will give me a chance to get in on the ground floor of a continuity without having to read MOUNTAINS of backstory, A LOT of which is really stupid.  But they COULD HAVE gone the Ultimate Marvel route without pissing off fans of the current canon, I'll concede that point.

I have dropped in and out of collecting several times over the years. I usually just jump on to a new story arc and go from there. With the power of the internet I can easily find a wiki link or blog post to give me a summary of earlier stories if I get confused by a back story plot point.

Yeah, the Marvel and DC wikis are my friends.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »
So, I just realized by the time Arkham City is released it may contain a bunch of references to comic continuity that aren't acknowledged in the comics anymore.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
Also, this is interesting coming a couple years before the rights to Superman have to be split up.  The families of the original creators are going to end up owning the original version of the character as it was before they worked for DC (So the version in the classic costume that leaped tall buildings) but DC will retain everything that came after, so it'll be a character in a redesigned costume that can fly and use heat vision and so forth.  DC also owns most of the villains, including Lex and Braniac and so forth.  If Superman changes a great deal during this changeover, that might be the reason.

Of course, DC has tried to change the look of Superman more than once, and the fans usually threaten to riot over it.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 07:37:33 PM »
(although there's a strong suspicion that if, say, Action 900 rolls around, the old numbering system will mysteriously reappear.)

Action 900 came out like two months ago. You mean 1000, right?

Sure. I was just trying, and failing, to remember what the last Action numbering milestone was.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 07:34:40 AM »
Here is the full list for the new 52. I am loosing a few titles but luckily the ones I plan to get equal the number of DC titles I already collect so I won't be spending any more than I was before. I just hope they stick with their "Drawing the Line at $2.99" price point.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32748
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »
The whole thing seems really hit and miss so far.  Sadly, the solicits do imply that things are starting "from the beginning." but at this point it's wait and see what they are doing here.  Superman #1 has Supes in a new costume for some reason (technically, so does Action Comics, but I doubt that's the one their using for the whole series) which reminds me of the Spidey costume they are using for the new movie: needlessly changed and given some weird alterations that don't really help the look.  That said, some series, like Animal Man, Frankenstein and OMAC.  I like quirky, odd series and that's what I'm expecting from these.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 04:19:28 PM »
The whole thing seems really hit and miss so far.  Sadly, the solicits do imply that things are starting "from the beginning." but at this point it's wait and see what they are doing here.  Superman #1 has Supes in a new costume for some reason (technically, so does Action Comics, but I doubt that's the one their using for the whole series) which reminds me of the Spidey costume they are using for the new movie: needlessly changed and given some weird alterations that don't really help the look.  That said, some series, like Animal Man, Frankenstein and OMAC.  I like quirky, odd series and that's what I'm expecting from these.

The reason for the new costume may very well be that DC won't own the trademark on that costume after 2013. That's one of the things that reverts back to the estates of the original creators.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »
Here is the full list for the new 52. I am loosing a few titles but luckily the ones I plan to get equal the number of DC titles I already collect so I won't be spending any more than I was before. I just hope they stick with their "Drawing the Line at $2.99" price point.

Wow. That's AT LEAST twenty-five titles too many.

And the persistent presence of uber-hack Scott Lobdell doesn't exactly win me over either.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 05:44:43 PM »

Wow. That's AT LEAST twenty-five titles too many.

And the persistent presence of uber-hack Scott Lobdell doesn't exactly win me over either.

Hey, his three issues of Fantastic Four were pretty fun until he was replaced with old man Claremont.  But I will say all the series that he's doing here look pretty bad, particularly Teen Titans (those costumes alone make my want to punch the book and never stop).  I wish Todd Dezago would come back: the Titans need a more fun and light-hearted feel.  Maybe not as much as Peter David's Young Justice (which I was a big fan of) but somewhere near there.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »
Hey at least we are getting a new monthly Rob Liefeld book to laugh at. I can't wait to see all the pouches and poorly drawn feet.

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • I use every color in the box. At once.
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 04:14:55 PM »
DC Comics presents: Look At My Batch!

Hehe, sorry. The eye just kinda follows lines in that direction, and it looks like they've all gotten Crime-Detecting Divining Rods installed on their crotches and they all sense trouble in different directions.
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Doctor Who?

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »
DC Comics presents: Look At My Batch!

Hehe, sorry. The eye just kinda follows lines in that direction, and it looks like they've all gotten Crime-Detecting Divining Rods installed on their crotches and they all sense trouble in different directions.

Why is Superman wearing body armor?  He is already bullet proof.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 05:17:43 PM »
Great. The last thing we need this year is another comic book comic book.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:20:14 PM by D.B. Barnes »
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!