Author Topic: DC Comics Rebooting All Major Franchises, Starting in September  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • I use every color in the box. At once.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-05-31-dc-comics-reinvents_n.htm
Starting this summer, the publisher will re-number its entire DC Universe of titles, revamping characters such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and others from its 76-year history for a more modern and diverse 21st century.

The first book to be released under this new era: Justice League No. 1, out Aug. 31. The series by writer Geoff Johns and artist Jim Lee reunites the famous lineup of Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Johns promises a focus on the interpersonal relationships within DC's trademark superteam. "What's the human aspect behind all these costumes? That's what I wanted to explore," he says.

In September, an additional 51 first issues will make their debut, introducing stories that are grounded in each character's specific legend but also reflect today's real-world themes and events. Lee spearheaded the costumes' redesign to make characters more identifiable and accessible to comic fans new and old.

"We really want to inject new life in our characters and line," says Dan DiDio, co-publisher of DC with Lee. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

In an even more important move in the competitive comics industry, DC is making all of the re-numbered titles available digitally via apps and a DC website the same day they arrive in comic shops. It marks the first time that a major comics publisher has done so with its popular superhero titles.

The company has come in second to Marvel every year since 2002 in market share, according to Diamond Comic Distributors.

While the two companies are making millions off movie adaptations of their comic books, print sales for both have dropped in recent years, as new technology gives readers many more options.

"We're allowing people who have never bought a comic book in their lives to download them on portable media devices and take a look," Lee says.

"Having the ability to give people access to these comics with one button click means we're going to get a lot of new readers."

I'm one of many who would love to get into comic books, but am somewhat daunted by the fact that their stories span years of accumulated reading material I would have to track down in order to get the full account. Starting over really has me interested in picking them up as a hobby.

But the bigger news here is day-and-date digital distribution. Welcome to the 21st century, DC. Now I just need to get me an e-reader...
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: DC Comics Rebooting All Major Franchises, Starting in September
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:18:20 PM »
has marvel got into day and date digital yet?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »
I'd really just suggest diving in with one comic, trusting it to give you the backstory when needed through text boxes and footnotes (the good ones do). DC has tried a few stunts over the years to reboot things, and they usually just piss people off.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Doctor Who?

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 04:32:34 PM »
Why don't they just do something like Marvel's Ultimate line and leave the main line alone?  I am just sure I want a teenage Superman who works for a website.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »
Why don't they just do something like Marvel's Ultimate line and leave the main line alone?  I am just sure I want a teenage Superman who works for a website.

Isn't what the All Star line was supposed to do already?

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
Why don't they just do something like Marvel's Ultimate line and leave the main line alone? 

They did. See All-Star <Fill in the Superhero name> or the Earth one series. And note-  In 2011 Marvel plans to relaunch the Ultimate line with the Ultimate Comics Universe Reborn banner, headed by Jonathan Hickman, Nick Spencer and Brian Michael Bendis.

has marvel got into day and date digital yet?

Nope. IIRC. six months ago is the cutoff point for Marvel so that the digital stuff doesn't compete with the comic stores.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »
Linkara talks a lot about this kind of stuff on one of his recent videos.  This is the third part of a three part review, but the rant about this stuff is at the beginning.

http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/2011/05/ultimatum-5.html

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 745
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »
I'm one of many who would love to get into comic books, but am somewhat daunted by the fact that their stories span years of accumulated reading material I would have to track down in order to get the full account. Starting over really has me interested in picking them up as a hobby.

Which is why we get these goofy reboots and relaunches and renumbering... to get people to jump on board. as Roninfox said just jump in and just start reading. Or at least check the cover and jump in on a new story arc.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4968
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 10:10:29 PM »

I think you might have missed the idea.  It's really just the numbering that's being reset, not the continuity.  Personally, I prefer legacy numbering, and I'm sure they'll do what Marvel does which is go back to legacy numbering for an anniversary issue.  Not really interested in the new numbering, but Geoff Johns on JLA seems like they should have done it ages ago (come to think of it, he needs to do Aquaman, because no one else seems to be able to breathe new life into him) and I hear All Star Superman writer Grant Morrison is going to be doing Superman, so YAY!  Hopefully they'll cut down the number of Batman Books.  I love Batman and Grant Morrison's run that spawned said books, but there's too many reduntant titles.  I hope Batman Inc is still going (I'm sure they're not going to screw Grant over).

What I'm hoping is that they'll be one or two titles like Adventure Comics where they can have characters who couldn't support their on ongoing series have serialized adventures.  It would be a good place for Aquaman or Deadman.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 11:13:40 PM »

It's called DC Earth One. It's a series of graphic novels. So far only JMS's Superman Earth One is out, but Johns is working on Batman Earth One.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 02:09:27 AM »

I think you might have missed the idea.  It's really just the numbering that's being reset, not the continuity. 

Well, yes and no. They are renumbering everything (although there's a strong suspicion that if, say, Action 900 rolls around, the old numbering system will mysteriously reappear.) But there have been strong hints that DC might be tweaking character backgrounds a bit too. This was denied yesterday by DC's VP, but the rumor is still out there and being spread, rightly or wrongly in a number of places.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 745
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 05:18:12 AM »
I can see it now. New number 1's for every story arc. They should just make every issue of every comic a number 1 to get all the suckers speculators into the stores. I love how people think comics from the 70s thru today are worth anything.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »
Figured it'd only be a matter of time before Linkara weighed in.  Here's from his site.

http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/

No, I don't care if they're not calling it a reboot. You can call it what you want, but firing someone and laying them off still mean the same thing: that someone doesn't have a job anymore, and a reboot and a revitalizing just mean that history's getting swept under the rug in favor of something that nobody asked for.

Look, people are asking me about my thoughts on this and honestly it's too early to give any thoughts about this nonsense. I'm depressed about it, not only because ONLY LAST MONTH I wrote up a recommendations list for people and now half of it is completely worthless because those ongoing series I recommended will be ending. I hate that Birds of Prey is being relaunched (AGAIN) without Gail Simone. I'm upset that she's working on a character, Firestorm, who I have zero interest in. I'm upset that it's likely that Lois Lane and Clark Kent will probably no longer be together, since they keep hyping up that these are younger versions of these characters. I'm upset that Batgirl is very likely going to be Barbara Gordon again, undoing 20+ years of character development of her as Oracle. I'm upset that Dick Grayson probably won't be Batman anymore and that Batman, Inc. will probably be ending, too, since I loved the concept and the story itself was awesome to me. I'm upset because Jim Lee is designing new costumes for everybody and frankly Lee, while a great artist, is not exactly the guy I go to for new designs because they just frankly don't look all that good. I'm upset because they won't just give a damn straight answer about whether this is a full reboot from scratch, everybody new, etc., etc., or if this is a continuation of everything that has come before.

And I guess what I'm most ticked off about is that this whole thing is, yet again, being done to capture this elusive "new reader" that they always want to get, despite them pulling this crap at least twice before now and FAILING AT IT.

When I was 12 or 13 years old, I had read some Nightwing comics my brother had because he was a fan of Nightwing from the Batman animated series. In one issue, he had a flashback to when he was a member of a team called the Teen Titans. I had never heard of this team before, but it intrigued me and made me want to learn more. When I was at a comic book store, looking for material to read on a trip up to a camp up in the woods for a four-day retreat made by my school, I saw "JLA/Titans: The Technis Imperative." Since I wanted to know more about the Titans, I picked that up and that's how I started regularly reading comics. The book has tons and tons of heroes I had never heard of before and it was glorious because it made me want to learn more about them, to learn more about a history I had never thought existed.

THAT is the new reader you want to get, DC. You don't get new readers by pretending that nothing ever happened before. You get new readers by telling good stories and making them want to know more about the history. You EMBRACE your history, use it as the platform to tell good stories. You have it even easier these days with the internet and its bottomless pit of information about characters and storylines that anyone can look up and read more about.

I am banging my head against my desk that I have to keep reminding the industry about this: tell good stories and the readers will come. They will come through word of mouth, they will come because you have dedicated readers who invest their time and money into these characters. Does it work for every book? No, because opinions vary on it, but you know damn well that a good book is going to last a hell of a lot longer than a bad one.

So, people, you want my thoughts about the upcoming DC reboot? I'm upset about it. Maybe it'll all work out for the best - maybe I'm overreacting. It happens. But right now? I'm upset and I am going to continue to be upset about it because it feels like I've invested money and time in something for over ten years and it was for nothing.

And if you don't know what I'm talking about, just read HERE or google it.

Also, DC announced they would also release digital comics of those releases on the same day from now on. That's fantastic and I love it, howevere, there's a quote from the West Wing that I like to use at a time like this:

"Why is it for every good thing you do around here, we have to endure three screw-ups?"

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 01:17:10 PM »
I'm all for it, minus putting Grant Morrison in charge of Superman. That guy sucks. But other than that, I'm excited for it. It will give me a chance to get in on the ground floor of a continuity without having to read MOUNTAINS of backstory, A LOT of which is really stupid.  But they COULD HAVE gone the Ultimate Marvel route without pissing off fans of the current canon, I'll concede that point.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 06:01:38 PM »
(although there's a strong suspicion that if, say, Action 900 rolls around, the old numbering system will mysteriously reappear.)

Action 900 came out like two months ago. You mean 1000, right?
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.