Author Topic: LoC 48- Top 50 Music Videos of All Time  (Read 30593 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: LoC 48- Top 50 Music Videos of All Time
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »

#15 on my list, but I did mean the longer version.  (Understand that one you couldn't embed, just wanted to make sure everyone knew I was referring to the longer version.    I would guess everyone who voted meant that one. ;D  )

Yeah, the longer version is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWucYbAp8Lk

The radio edit seems rather disjointed. Almost as if random frames were sliced out of it.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »

#33 30 Seconds To Mars-The Kill
I thought for sure that Leto was going to make out with himself.  Was the bear BJ supposed to be creepy or funny?  I thought it was funny.

I'd be surprised if the band hasn't seen odder things than that while on tour. "Guy in a bear suit orally pleasuring the bass player? Eh. Must be Tuesday."

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »
Yay! several more of mine made it.

Sweep the Leg - How cool is it to get ALL the cobra Kai's, Sensei Kreese, Ralph Machio, Mr. Belding, and the slutty sister from Yes Dear all in one video? Very..

This too Shall pass - Awesome video. Nuff said

Billie Jean - Ahh the memorable lighted floor steps.

Addicted to love - Who can forget the lllllllaaaaaaadies? iconic

Whip it - Odd and fun..

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2011, 01:08:11 PM »
Ok looking at my list, I see about 7 that are extremely high chances of making the top 10. 2 are iffy at best. The rest probably not.

MontyServo

« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
Ok looking at my list, I see about 7 that are extremely high chances of making the top 10. 2 are iffy at best. The rest probably not.

I've got, at best, three videos yet to come from my list. My numbers 7 and 14 definitely and 13 a strong maybe.

I guess my number 3 has an outside shot at being the dreaded video that made it to number 2 on this list.  But going by what has been listed so far I doubt it.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »
Dang.... already burned through most of my top ones (I think).  Btw, the director for the Billie Jean music video?  Also directed the first TMNT movie.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »
A few that I think will be in the top 10:

Thriller - a must
Take on Me - You know it will be there
Weapon of Choice - Christopher Walken = automatic top 10
Land of Confusion - puppets!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5867
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »
Man, I can't wait to watch a lot of these videos.  I've just been too busy.

Once again, I had Whip It, Once In A Lifetime, and This Too Shall Pass on my initial list, but not my final.  Glad to see them on here.  Sober did make my final list at #10.

Here are some thoughts on some of the  videos I'm seeing for the first time:

#31 The Bird And The Bee-Polite Dance Song
I like it a lot.  I've never heard of the band, but I like the music.  

I really got into the band after a friend (who really likes Tim and Eric) got me into it and it haunted me for days, despite being quite (intentionally) silly.  I got their second album that contains that song, "Ray Guns Are Not Only Just the Future" which has some fantastic songs, including "You're a Cad", "Ray Gun" (which sounds like a James Bond in outer space theme), and  "Love Letter to Japan".  Their most recent album is all Hall and Oates covers, which made me realize that I might kind of love Hall and Oates COMPLETELY WITHOUT IRONY (One on One is still kind of dumb).  It also has a neat all original opening track called "Heard it on the Radio" where the beginning was used one of the Comedy Death Ray Bang Bang games, Guess the Real Lyric (the joke being the "real lyric" is a really dumb joke).

Glad Beautiful World made it.  It's a good song, but it almost needs the video, I think.  I like Whip It OK, but Devo has so many great songs and videos.  Oh, and the guy watch the video is Devo's creepy-ass mascot Booji Boy (pronounced Boogie Boy), who is actually Mark Mothersbaugh in a baby mask.  Often Booji Boy will sing a falsetto version of Beautiful World on stage at some point during a concert.

In reference to Jill Talley and Tom Kenny from Tonight, Tonight: They are also married.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:21:30 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1380
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2011, 12:48:39 AM »
Why was 'Whip It' hidden?

'Once in a Lifetime' was the last cut from my list, really pleasantly suprised that I wasn't the only one voting for 'Rabbit in your Headlights'

#52 - "Keep Fishin'" - Weezer
Not the Weezer video I voted for, but this one did cross my mind when making my list.

Not the only one of theirs I voted for but, Weezer + Muppets = a very happy Scott
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2011, 01:43:49 AM »
Why was 'Whip It' hidden?

Because the only embeddable copy of the original video plays backwards and I didn't want folks to have to listen to it that way as, you know, it's backwards.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2011, 02:51:27 AM »
Number 24
(38 points, on 2 of 17 lists - Top Vote #6 by Cole S.)
Once in A Lifetime
Talking Heads

Had this at #8. It's just screams "video"!!! I picture Jerry Sands manning the controls in a tan leisure suit with gigantic lapels.

Number 22
(41 points, on 3 of 17 lists - Top Vote #1 by Imharil)
Whip It
Devo

Godammit. There's always one entry on a LOC that makes me smack my forehead and say "how the fuck did you forget that one?!?" Apologies to the three who didn't forget; it should've ranked higher. Great shame has been heaped on me and my entire family. Glad my vapor lock didn't prevent it from making the list, though. Classic video.

Number 21
(43 points, on 2 of 17 lists - Top Vote #2 by Rattrap)
Sweep the Leg
No More Kings

I can't believe I've never seen this! Very entertaining. The music's pretty cool too, although I wish it was a bit heavier.

Number 20
(45 points, on 3 of 17 lists - Top Vote #4 by Tyrant)
Sober
Tool

Nice! Had this at #19. My second favorite Tool video...

Number 18
(50 points, on 3 of 17 lists - Top Vote #2 by Stan Simpson)
Tonight, Tonight
Smashing Pumpkins

Lucky #13 on my list. Great song and a great video.

Number 16
(52 points, on 4 of 17 lists - Top Vote #7 by Imharil)
Addicted to Love
Robert Palmer

"Also, this was originally intended to be a duet with Chaka Khan."

Anybody else glad they shelved that idea?

Number 8
(61 points, on 3 of 17 lists - Top Vote #1 by Kete)
Virtual Insanity
Jamiroquai

What the hell happened to these guys? This was huge back in the day. Awesome bass playing in this song.

Number 12
(65 points, on 4 of 17 lists - Top Vote #2 by Mr. Katonic)
Come to Daddy
Aphex Twin

This video scares the shit out of me.

Only put one MJ video on my list and those ain't it. I'm starting to think the one I picked isn't going to make the list. Although it's not a huge surprise as that video has been known to swallow huge handfuls of pills.

#26 R.Kelly-Trapped In The Closet
Really?  Is that a song that people would listen too?  It sounds like someone singing a soap opera script.

:D

Top ten should be interesting. It's been a bit of a kooky list so far.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:29:00 AM by D.B. Barnes »
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3596
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2011, 09:34:31 AM »
I really got into the band after a friend (who really likes Tim and Eric) got me into it and it haunted me for days, despite being quite (intentionally) silly.  I got their second album that contains that song, "Ray Guns Are Not Only Just the Future" which has some fantastic songs, including "You're a Cad", "Ray Gun" (which sounds like a James Bond in outer space theme), and  "Love Letter to Japan".  Their most recent album is all Hall and Oates covers, which made me realize that I might kind of love Hall and Oates COMPLETELY WITHOUT IRONY (One on One is still kind of dumb).  It also has a neat all original opening track called "Heard it on the Radio" where the beginning was used one of the Comedy Death Ray Bang Bang games, Guess the Real Lyric (the joke being the "real lyric" is a really dumb joke).

Yes, I recognize that song from Comedy Death Ray.  I like these guys a lot.

Number 8
(61 points, on 3 of 17 lists - Top Vote #1 by Kete)
Virtual Insanity
Jamiroquai

What the hell happened to these guys? This was huge back in the day. Awesome bass playing in this song.

I've been a huge Jamiroquai fan for quite some time.  They still put out some amazing stuff after Virtual Insanity, but not much of it was popular outside of Europe (their song Canned Heat is the song that Napoleon Dynamite dances to at the end of the movie).  Unfortunately, as things progressed, they lost members and relevance.  The first album was all about world peace and ending hunger, the second was all about smoking weed, the third (the one with Virtual Insanity) and fourth were about dancing, and after that they just became about Jay Kay.  The bassist, Stewart Zender, left just after Virtual Insanity, so his excellent playing is only found on the first three albums.  Some other videos of note are:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2011, 12:13:19 PM »
Hey Youtube? Stop showing me ads for Spanish language songs. You're wasting everyone's time with that. And trying to show me "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" three times in a row was a bit much too.

Anyway, it's top 10 time.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »
Number 10
(80 points, on 5 of 17 lists - Top Vote #2 by Tyrant)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/urrbhgC8PB0?version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/urrbhgC8PB0?version=3</a>

Human Behaviour
Björk

Debut
Dir- Michael Gondry

'Bout The Band:
Björk Guðmundsdóttir (born 21 November 1965), known as Björk (pronounced /ˈbjɜrk/ BYURK in English), is an Icelandic Polar Music Prize-winning singer-songwriter, occasional actress, music composer and music producer, whose influential solo work includes seven solo albums and two original film soundtracks.
Her eclectic musical style has achieved popular acknowledgement and popularity within many musical genres, such as[1] rock, jazz, electronic dance music, classical and folk. Her voice has been acclaimed for its distinctive qualities.

'Bout the Video:
Björk reenacts the three bears, then plants a commie flag on the moon. Then things end badly.

Fun Musical Fact:
Little commie Timmy Treadwell here was nominated for a Grammy in 1994  for this video and lost to Peter Gabriel's "Steam" with its much more wholesome theme of shaking the baby tree. Wooo! U. S...er... Rue Brittania! Wooo!

Gondry later re-examined the themes of this video in his film "Human Nature." See? You were still kinda right with that title, person who called it that.

Hey, Isn't That...?
Pretty sure the bear suited person also showed up in the earlier 30 seconds to Mars video. It's a shame when they have to go blue like that.

Up Next:
Namedropping.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2011, 12:26:22 PM »
Number 9
(80 points, on 5 of 17 lists - Top Vote #2 by Imharil)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2KZLojGm7s0?version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2KZLojGm7s0?version=3</a>

Money for Nothing
Dire Straits

Brothers in Arms
Dir- Steve Barron

'Bout The Band:
Dire Straits were a British rock band from 1977 to 1995. They have sold over 120 million albums worldwide.

'Bout the Video:
A pair of warehouse workers lament their lives and extol the virtues of rock stardom.

Fun Musical Fact:
This was the first song ever aired on MTV Europe.

Another fun fact, playing this song in its album form in Newfoundland is illegal as it is deemed to be a hate crime.  Gosh. I hope I didn't accidentally post that version.

Hey, Isn't That...?
Sting? Yeah. the dude's everywhere. I even hear that he was in this sci-fi movie set in a desert once.

Up Next:
Seriously, I hear the fish is quite good.