Author Topic: LoC 48- Top 50 Music Videos of All Time  (Read 32091 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: LoC 48- Top 50 Music Videos of All Time
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 12:41:38 PM »
Number 27
(36 points, on 3 of 17 lists - Top Vote #11 by Tripe)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3mbBbFH9fAg?fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3mbBbFH9fAg?fs=1</a>

Black Hole Sun
Soundgarden

Superunknown
Dir- Howard Greenhalgh

'Bout The Band:
Soundgarden is an American rock band formed in Seattle, Washington in 1984.
Soundgarden was one of the seminal bands in the creation of grunge, a style of alternative rock that developed in Seattle, and was one of a number of grunge bands signed to the record label Sub Pop. Soundgarden was the first grunge band to sign to a major label (A&M Records, in 1988), though the band did not achieve commercial success until they popularized "grunge" in the early 1990s with Seattle contemporaries Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam.

'Bout the Video:
A suburban neighborhood and its inhabitants are eventually swallowed up by a black hole, while the band performs the song somewhere in an open field.

Fun musical fact:
The necklace worn by Chris Cornell in the video was given to him by Shannon Hoon, the recently deceased lead singer of Blind Mellon.

Random MST3k Reference:
>Somehow, if they were playing this song right now in the middle
>of Tokyo with the black hole sun sucking up everything, it would
>have been sickeningly appropriate.

Crow: Oh look. We get to share a piece of someone's nightmarish
      fever dream! Isn't that nice?

-The Misting of "The Misery Senshi Neo-Zero Double Blitzkreig Debacle"
Miss ya, Bill.

Up Next:
Wherein I search for a decent version of the song.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:31:17 AM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »
Number 26
(37 points, on 2 of 17 lists - Top Vote #3 by Pak-Man)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wH2l0LaTi4U?fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wH2l0LaTi4U?fs=1</a>

Experimental Film
They Might Be Giants

The Spine
Dir- Strong Sad and the Cheat

'Bout The Band:
They Might Be Giants (TMBG) is an American alternative rock band formed in 1982 by John Flansburgh and John Linnell. They are best known for an unconventional and experimental style of alternative music. They currently have 14 studio albums released.

'Bout the Video:
The video itself is a cartoon experimental film and is ostensibly directed by Homestar Runner cartoon characters Strong Sad and The Cheat. Their individual contributions are wildly different: Strong Sad's footage looks like it has been shot on black-and-white film, while The Cheat's portions are animated in his singularly basic style. Initially the video just cuts between the two, but they're superimposed and mixed together more and more until the two become indistinguishable. The video is full of references to other experimental films.

A version which doesn't make your ears hurt may be found here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/expfilm.html

Hey, Isn't That...?
A lion? Yes. It's a lion.

Up Next:
The first chapter in a saga.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:31:26 AM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »
Number 25
(38 points, on 2 of 17 lists - Top Vote #2 by Cole Stratton)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YAUpYszoSms?fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YAUpYszoSms?fs=1</a>

Trapped in the Closet
R. Kelly

Trapped in the Closet
Dir- R. Kelly

'Bout The Band:
Robert Sylvester Kelly (born January 8, 1967), better known by his stage name R. Kelly is an American R&B singer-songwriter, arranger, performer and record producer. He is widely regarded as the King of R&B.

'Bout the Video:
The first chapter of "Trapped in the Closet" begins with the protagonist, Sylvester (Kelly), waking up and realizing that he is not in his own bed. He recalls leaving a nightclub with a strange woman the previous night, and that he was in her bed. As Sylvester is scolding himself for what he has done as a married man, the woman comes back into the bedroom from the bathroom. Sylvester tells her that he has to leave quickly. She tells him he can't leave out the door because she hears her husband coming up the stairs. Sylvester says he'll jump out the window, but she reminds him that they are on the fifth floor. Sylvester thinks frantically, and then decides to hide in the closet. A few seconds later, the husband walks in, and the couple ends up fooling around on the bed. Sylvester reflects that the woman deserves an Oscar for her skillful acting. Suddenly, Sylvester's cell phone rings and he hurries to put it on vibrate. The husband hears the ring and suspects something is wrong. He searches the house for another person. He looks behind the shower curtain, under the bed, in the dresser, and then walks towards the closet. The first part ends with Sylvester reaching for his Beretta and the husband opening the closet.

I'm not posting all 22 chapters.

Fun musical fact:
Yes, this video contains more than just chapter one. Eh. Whatever.

And yes, he looked in the dresser for the mystery person.

Up Next:
The next half of the list! Martial arts! Drinking! Bad fitting suits! Smart fitting suits! Claymation! CGI! Goofy hats! More nightmare fuel! And the dangers of using gasoline as a home dry cleaning material! All this and more tomorrow!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:31:35 AM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011, 01:16:38 PM »
But we're not done with today yet!

You know, folks often ask, "What's the worst music video of all time?" You'll get a number of different answers there. If you search on Youtube, you'll see a number of videos that are billed that way, often with good cause. Sometimes it refers to Blotto's "I wanna Be a Lifeguard." Those people are fools as that song rocks. Cracked chimes in withthese and these. But let's stick with big name videos.

A local music station proclaimed Madonna's early video "Burning Up" to be the worstly made  video, due to its relatively cheap FX and lazy theme, plus the random images. Sigh. Warner Brothers, why must you vex me so? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pufec0Hps00

MTV though once had a one hour special that proclaimed Nelson's After the Rain to be the worst video over. Why? Well, the completely over the top story, along with dragging in child abuse for a cheesy pop song. Plus, you know, Nelson.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dFLggqjddKM?fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dFLggqjddKM?fs=1</a>

Not to be confused with this Nelson, of course.

Then again, MTV later reversed course and said Don Johnson's Hearbeat was the worst video ever. Why? Well, once again, the over the topness of the video. Plus, you know, Don Johnson.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ULI5kolBpAk?fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ULI5kolBpAk?fs=1</a>

Oh, there's a limit to the video links? Oh Well then,  I'll cut out a number of other mentions and just jump to this one then, for being bad on multiple levels:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0359hSerDeE?fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0359hSerDeE?fs=1</a>

Catch everyone tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:18:58 PM by Compound »

MontyServo

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 01:36:07 PM »
Number 31
(34 points, on 3 of 17 lists - Top Vote #1 by Monty)
Hungry Like the Wolf
Duran Duran

At least I can take some consolation that my number one finished higher than a lot of other folks number ones.   :D

Now I wish I had swapped this with my number two.  This one would have only dropped a couple of spaces and both videos would have made the list.  I guess it still might show up, but it is more likely forgotten.

Props to the other two voters for remembering this classic of the music video genre.   :highfive:

Really one of the first big scale music videos that showed you could do something really theatrical in a short form music video.  Should be considered one of the videos that set the trail for all of the other videos on this list.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:46:44 PM by Monty »

MontyServo

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2011, 01:44:57 PM »
But we're not done with today yet!

You know, folks often ask, "What's the worst music video of all time?" You'll get a number of different answers there. If you search on Youtube, you'll see a number of videos that are billed that way, often with good cause. Sometimes it refers to Blotto's "I wanna Be a Lifeguard." Those people are fools as that song rocks. Cracked chimes in withthese and these. But let's stick with big name videos.

A local music station proclaimed Madonna's early video "Burning Up" to be the worstly made  video, due to its relatively cheap FX and lazy theme, plus the random images. Sigh. Warner Brothers, why must you vex me so? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pufec0Hps00

MTV though once had a one hour special that proclaimed Nelson's After the Rain to be the worst video over. Why? Well, the completely over the top story, along with dragging in child abuse for a cheesy pop song. Plus, you know, Nelson.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not to be confused with this Nelson, of course.

Then again, MTV later reversed course and said Don Johnson's Hearbeat was the worst video ever. Why? Well, once again, the over the topness of the video. Plus, you know, Don Johnson.

Oh, there's a limit to the video links? Oh Well then,  I'll cut out a number of other mentions and just jump to this one then, for being bad on multiple levels:

Catch everyone tomorrow.

All three of those videos are all sorts of awesome.  (well,maybe not Nelson.)

The long form Heartbeat video is even better. An hour long mini-movie that is basically one long music video with all of the songs from the Heartbeat album.  I still have a copy of that around here somewhere.  It is hilariously bad, but even funnier if you first get a copy of the album.  Listen to it a bunch to really get the songs in your head (album isn't half bad, Don was a passable singer and he had a lot of guest help with it), then watch the video.

And Dog Police was a cult favorite for a few months back in the day.  It won an MTV contest where people could make their own music video and the viewers would vote for their favorite.  This would have been '83, maybe '84.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2011, 02:04:47 PM »
Number 33
(31 points, on 4 of 17 lists - Top Vote #10 by Compound)
Hurt
Johnny Cash

Excuse me while I open up my wrists. I didn't put this on my list but man, it's a crusher.

Number 31
(34 points, on 3 of 17 lists - Top Vote #1 by Monty)
Hungry Like the Wolf
Duran Duran

Right on. Had it at #21. Those outfits! They're like eighties fish out of water.

Number 30
(34 points, on 2 of 17 lists - Top Vote #1 by Stan Simpson)
All Is Full of Love
Björk

Wow. I've never seen this. Very cool.

Björk Guðmundsdóttir? Wouldn't those letters look better in neon green cascading down my monitor?

Number 29
(35 points, on 3 of 17 lists - Top Vote #10 by Gojikranz)
The Superbowl Shuffle
The 1985 Chicago Bears

Had it at #20 because it just doesn't get much cheesier than this.

Number 28
(36 points, on 3 of 17 lists - Top Vote #11 by Tripe)
Black Hole Sun
Soundgarden

Three lists...nice! Had it at #14. Such an awesome song. Matt Cameron is a great drummer IMO. Nothing flashy, but that guy can lay down a groove and come up with some very cool, creative fills.

Good ol' Nelson. I love how one of 'em drops to his knees about two seconds after the music kicks in. It's like, where do you go from there?
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2011, 02:27:52 PM »
Man, I just realized I had forgotten a favourite band that's all about the videos.  I hope one of them shows up.  Fingers crossed.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2011, 02:44:19 PM »
Still nothing of mine.

You had an unfortunate number of "songs that got multiple votes but didn't get enough points to place on the list" in your submissions. But there's still about 8-ish of yours to come.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2011, 03:13:28 PM »
Oops, I made a mistake. It was Eric Wareheim of Tim and Eric who directed Polite Dance Song.  Tim is the one with the singing career.  Sort of.  Still, thanks to Compound for his speedy editing,

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2011, 05:29:11 PM »
The Perfect Drug wasn't #2 on my list, it was #11.  ;)

The Super Bowl Shuffle  :speechless:

By the way, the other person who voted for Knights of Cydonia? *points to self* It's ridiculous that the official Muse channel has such a low quality version of the video.

And it's nice to see a U2 video voted for that wasn't from me.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 05:46:05 PM by Starman! »

Watchman

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
'Bout the Video:
Cash reminisces about his life while surrounded by personal mementos. That description doesn't do the video justice though.

Technically, Cash is reminiscing about Trent Reznor's life.

RE: "Windowlicker": most people say "Come To Daddy" is the creepiest Aphex Twin video, but "Windowlicker" is what creeps the hell out of me! That hairy limo orgy is the stuff of nightmares. This video should've been titled "Being Richard James". *shudder*

And it's nice to see a U2 video voted for that wasn't from me.  ;)
Speaking of, have you seen the Beavis & Butthead version of "Numb"?

Still nothing of mine.
 :'(

At least that means you can look forward to your #1 being higher up in the list. Only one of mine has shown up so far: my #1. And I'm not going to hold out much hope for my lower votes. There's only one or two I think others may have voted for, but expectations be gone. Anyone want my soul? Will you eat my soul?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:12:50 PM by Mr. Katonic »

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 540
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2011, 10:11:32 PM »
Number 30
(34 points, on 2 of 17 lists - Top Vote #1 by Stan Simpson)
All Is Full of Love
Björk

Wow. I've never seen this. Very cool.

I will chalk this up to having been little seen.  Eh... I dunno. I guess all us #1-ers feel the same about our number ones.  And I realize that defending this too much may make me seem like a creepo.  I still stand by my placing.  At least one other person voted for it.  Thanks, um, you.

All (well, most of) these videos made my original Top 60 list.  I've had to hold off on Michael Jackson, Bjork, Weird Al, and NIN ones.  I tried to choose one from each.  Really a great list so far, guys (and gals)!  There's about 5 videos I had never (and have yet to) see.  The company they keep make them extraordinarily promising.   :D  

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3898
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2011, 10:14:12 PM »
I have Bjork on my list, but not that Bjork. With some luck, maybe my Bjork of choice will find its way somewhere up the list. Bjork Bjork Bjork! :^)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2011, 10:35:52 PM »
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky