Author Topic: LoC 48- Top 50 Music Videos of All Time  (Read 32056 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1007
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: LoC 48- Top 50 Music Videos of All Time
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »
Number 41
(26 points, on 2 of 17 lists - Top Vote #7 by Rattrap)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dsUXAEzaC3Q?fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dsUXAEzaC3Q?fs=1</a>

Michael Jackson
Bad

Bad
Dir- Martin Scorcese

'Bout The Artist:
Michael Joseph Jackson[1] (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009) was an American recording artist, dancer, singer-songwriter, musician, and philanthropist. Referred to as the King of Pop, Jackson is recognized as the most successful entertainer of all time by Guinness World Records. His contribution to music, dance, and fashion, along with a much-publicized personal life, made him a global figure in popular culture for over four decades. The seventh child of the Jackson family, he debuted on the professional music scene along with his brothers as a member of The Jackson 5, then the Jacksons in 1964, and began his solo career in 1971.

'Bout the Video:
Upon returning from a stay at a private school, Daryl comes home to find his family missing, but his old gang mates occupy his home. After talking, they become convinced that he's gone soft so the gang takes him to a subway station to mug an old man. Daryl refuses and gang leader Mini Max berates Daryl. At that point things go badly. 'cause the song is called "Bad.' (awkward silence) Anyway, a dance fight begins.

Fun musical fact:
This song almost doesn't qualify for the list. Why? Because it's 18 frigging minutes long. Seriously. There's 10 minutes of video prior to the above clip. You do see parts of it in the opening to Weird Al's "Fat" and at the time, the video to Bad began at roughly the same point as Weird Al's version begins. Alas, I can't find that version.

Hey, Isn't That...?
The gang leader Mini Max is played by Major League's Wesley Snipe.

Up Next:
In the future begins the Robot Holocaust!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:28:54 AM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 02:37:06 PM »
Could we see the points as well as the rank?

D'oh. My apologies. I thought I was forgetting something there.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 02:39:38 PM »
Number 40
(26 points, on 3 of 17 lists - Top Vote #10 by DB Barnes)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XpvW356BPpU?fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XpvW356BPpU?fs=1</a>

Rockit
Herbie Hancock

Future Shock
Dir- Godley & Creme

'Bout The Artist:
Herbert Jeffrey "Herbie" Hancock (born April 12, 1940) is an American pianist and composer. He is regarded not only as one of the greatest living jazz musicians, but also as one of the most influential jazz musicians of the 20th century. His music embraces elements of funk and soul while adopting freer stylistic elements from jazz. In his jazz improvisation, he possesses a unique creative blend of jazz, blues, and modern classical music, with harmonic stylings much like the styles of Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel.

'Bout the Video:
Robots give you insane amounts of nightmare fuel.

Hey, Isn't That...?
The goosey looking robot? Yep. That's Crow T. Robot in one of his early roles.

Up Next:
Tomorrow, we sprint towards the halfway point of the list! We dance some! Okay, we dance a lot! Plus we'll see little people, nightmare fuel, british folk, appliances, business meetings and more! Oh, and the phrase "This ends badly" returns for even more appearances.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:29:03 AM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »
Okay, folks, we're going to #25 tomorrow, so stay tuned until then.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »
Hey, Isn't That...?
The goosey looking robot? Yep. That's Crow T. Robot in one of his early roles.

Goosio approves.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
Number 48
(25 points, on 1 of 17 lists - Top Vote #1 by Tripe)
Excellent. Now, just as I finally have a new scanner I've mislaid my beloved pics of me and Massive Attack when they played Clutch Cargos in Pontiac. It was also Ann's and My  second proper date so that's nice too. ;)

Number 44
(25 points, on 2 of 17 lists - Top Vote #3 by Tripe)
Love this song and video, have a friend whose house has a really long drive and no lights along it. So, at night, we used to start the song playing when we were getting near the place so that as the song finished we were pulling up just like in the vid.

OK it amused us, and that's what matters. :)

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
Most excellent so far...

I LOVE the goonies video. So cheesy and fun.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 04:27:24 AM »
Up Next:
It's from Starman. Take a guess as to what band it's from.

:D

Seriously though, I didn't vote for that one. I really didn't people!

MontyServo

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 06:48:49 AM »
I'm just about the only person my age (mid-30s) who hates the Goonies.  I saw it when it was out first, didn't like it then, and don't get the reverence it gets now.  

I totally agree.  Hated it then, tried to watch it recently and realized that it is just a bunch of obnoxious kids shouting their lines at each other, sometimes screaming them.  I had to turn the damn thing off after a little while, it was giving me a headache.

The music video is kinda neat though, with all the old school wrasslers.

MontyServo

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 06:54:09 AM »
Two things I have learned from the list so far,

One is that my number one is going to be on the list at least in the top 40.  Two is that I might end up regretting the placement of my number two or three videos if one or both of them don't make the list.

I will try to watch all of the videos and make with the comments when I get a chance.  Nothing from my own list so far, but it is still early.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 07:33:02 AM »
I'm just about the only person my age (mid-30s) who hates the Goonies.  I saw it when it was out first, didn't like it then, and don't get the reverence it gets now. 

I liked it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »
And day two begins....
The next few songs are a tad depressing, so you might want to come back a bit later, when I'll toss in some TMBG. Of course, their song is about cancer, but hey, it'll be a slight improvement.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
Number 39
(27 points, on 2 of 17 lists - Top Vote #12 by Starman)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5MvsyNSk20Q?fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5MvsyNSk20Q?fs=1</a>

The Perfect Drug
Nine Inch Nails

Lost Highway Soundtrack
Dir- Mark Romanek

'Bout The Band:
Nine Inch Nails is an American industrial rock project, founded in 1988 by Trent Reznor in Cleveland, Ohio. As its main producer, singer, songwriter, and instrumentalist, Reznor is the only official member of Nine Inch Nails and remains solely responsible for its direction. Nine Inch Nails' music straddles a wide range of genres, while retaining a characteristic sound using electronic instruments and processing. After recording a new album, Reznor usually assembles a live band to perform with him. The touring band features a revolving lineup that often rearranges songs to fit a live setting. On stage, Nine Inch Nails often employs visual elements to accompany performances, which frequently include light shows.

'Bout the Video:
Technically, it's about a grieving father on a gothic estate who loses himself in drink, but it's a NIN song. This means that tossed into that theme are a string trio, tranya drinking, buzzards and Trent going swimming.

Fun musical fact:
NIN has never performed this song live.  Reznor claims it would cause the drummer's arm to fall off. Having seen the song played in Rock Band, this may not be an exaggerated claim.

Up Next:
Wow. The first sentence without a curse word comes at the 2:18 mark.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:29:16 AM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 10:55:35 AM »
Number 38
(27 points, on 2 of 17 lists - Top Vote #9 by Tyrant)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Windowlicker
Aphex Twin

Windowlicker
Dir- Chris Cunningham

'Bout The Band:
Richard David James (born 18 August 1971), best known under the pseudonym Aphex Twin, is an electronic musician and composer described as "the most inventive and influential figure in contemporary electronic music".[1] He founded the record label Rephlex Records in 1991 with Grant Wilson-Claridge.

Aphex Twin is also known under the aliases AFX, Blue Calx, Bradley Strider, Caustic Window, DJ Smojphace, GAK, Martin Tressider, Polygon Window, Power-Pill, Prichard D. Jams, Q-Chastic, Tahnaiya Russell, The Dice Man, Soit-P.P., and, speculatively, The Tuss.

'Bout the Video:
A parody of hip-hop videos of the time, two men's window shopping for prostitutes is interrupted by the arrival of a white limo carrying James. And then the girls' faces morph into James'.

The video is under a spoiler as there's about four solid minutes of cursing in there. For an edited, sans-profanity version of the video (but  lower video quality) click here.

Fun musical fact:
The face of the final girl revealed is based on a sketch by HR Giger entitled "Windowlicker."

Up Next:
Sweet dreams are made of this.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:29:28 AM by Compound »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 10:58:54 AM »
Oh bugger I knew I'd fogotten one. Not that but another of his.