login

Author Topic: LoC 48- Top 50 Music Videos of All Time  (Read 32103 times)

Watchman

Re: LoC 48- Top 50 Music Videos of All Time
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 540
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2011, 10:45:21 PM »
 :D :D

I never put those two together!  Googled to see if anyone else had.  Turns out "Robot Chicken" did... and it's pretty funny.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1653
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 01:13:26 AM »
Knights of Cydonia
Muse

Wow. Musical influences are all over the map here. It's like Queen meets Thin Lizzy meets Morricone. It works!

The bass player looks like a clean-cut cowboy Lemmy.

Annoyed I forgot this (and Cloud Bursting), so much Alejandro Jodorowsky influence.

Yay for Hurt, glad to see so much Bjork too.

Only 3 in so far, wonder how many made it?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2011, 04:43:52 AM »
And it's nice to see a U2 video voted for that wasn't from me.  ;)
Speaking of, have you seen the Beavis & Butthead version of "Numb"?

Yes I have! It's been a while though.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2011, 07:39:14 AM »
I had a lot of Bjork on my initial list, but she didn't make the final cut.  I really had a hard time getting my list down to just 25.

I've had three on the list so far (Knights of Cydonia, Everlong, and Karma Police).  There are another 12 from my list that would really surprise me if they didn't make the final cut.  I'm glad to see that Spike Jonze, Michel Gondry, and Jonathan Glazer have made the list already, and I'm sure they will have a lot more entries.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:42:30 AM by Kete »

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 540
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2011, 09:43:47 AM »
I've had three on the list so far (Knights of Cydonia, Everlong, and Karma Police).  There are another 12 from my list that would really surprise me if they didn't make the final cut.  I'm glad to see that Spike Jonze, Michel Gondry, and Jonathan Glazer have made the list already, and I'm sure they will have a lot more entries.

And Mark Romanek as well... IIRC.  If I just made that up, then I'm sure he will be.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2011, 10:03:20 AM »
Hey! Youtube changed its embedding over the night! Yay! Let's see if the videos still show up!

(And yes, I have "use old embedding" checked. It didn't seem to make a difference with the update.)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2011, 10:05:38 AM »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2011, 10:33:36 AM »

And Mark Romanek as well... IIRC.  If I just made that up, then I'm sure he will be.

"Hurt" is one of his. There will be more.

MontyServo

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »
Some thoughts -

#53 -"Preacher Man" - Fields of the Nephilim
Was never really into the heavier goth music back then.  I thought the video was interesting though.

#52 - "Keep Fishin'" - Weezer
Not the Weezer video I voted for, but this one did cross my mind when making my list.

#51 - "Eat It" - "Weird Al" Yankovic
Probably my favorite "Weird" Al video, just spot on perfect.  Although I am hoping for great things from "Perform This Way"

#50 - "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" - U2
Love animated videos (my #2 vid is animated), never seen this one before. Nice story in this one and I liked the visuals.  Not too crazy about the song though.  I really want to go see U2 in Miami at the end of the month, don't know if I will be able to but I am gonna try to swing it.

#49 - "Worlock" - Skinny Puppy       
Don't really get it.   B-movie horror clips are supposed to be nightmarish?  I really wanted to like all of the videos on this list but I hated this one. Sorry.

#48 - "Inertia Creeps" - Massive Attack
Now this on the other hand is a fantastic video.  Draws you in and tells a story.  Having great music helps.

#47 - "Cloudbusting" - Kate Bush
I love this song, but never really cared for the video.  I always preferred my Kate Bush spazing out with crazy devil eyes (like in "Sat In Your Lap" for example).

Think I will stop there for now.  Will watch some more later and comment.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2011, 11:05:07 AM »
And now, a "whoops!" moment.

I've just noticed that one of the upcoming songs (the one that was at #19) appears twice in the list. What this means in practical terms is that all the previously listed songs have moved up one place. So, yay!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2011, 11:05:27 AM »
Number 24
(38 points, on 2 of 17 lists - Top Vote #6 by Cole S.)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/I1wg1DNHbNU?" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/I1wg1DNHbNU?</a>

Once in A Lifetime
Talking Heads

Remain in Light

'Bout The Band:
Talking Heads were an American New Wave band formed in 1974 in New York City[1] and active until 1991. In 2002, they were inducted in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

'Bout the Video:
David Byrne sings, dances and takes a swim. Plus he sweats more than Nixon in the 1960 Presidential debate.

Fun Musical Fact:
David Byrne based his dancing moves in this video on the movements made by folks suffering from epilepsy. The choreographer who showed him this footage was Toni Basil.

Up Next:
Oh no! Poor monkey Jesus! And I get out the spoilers again.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »

#50 - "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" - U2
Love animated videos (my #2 vid is animated), never seen this one before. Nice story in this one and I liked the visuals.  Not too crazy about the song though.  I really want to go see U2 in Miami at the end of the month, don't know if I will be able to but I am gonna try to swing it.

Go for it. Everyone whom I talked to in Denver after their show two weeks ago absolutely raved about it.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2011, 11:17:08 AM »
Number 23
(40 points, on 2 of 17 lists - Top Vote #2 by Starman)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Closer
Nine Inch Nails

The Downward Spiral
Dir- Mark Romanek

'Bout The Band:

'Bout the Video:
The video shows events in what appears to be a 19th century-style mad-scientist's laboratory that deals with religion, sexuality, animal cruelty, politics, and terror. Its imagery, which included a nude bald woman with a crucifix mask, a monkey tied to a cross, a pig's head spinning on some type of machine, a diagram of a vulva, Reznor wearing an S&M mask while swinging in shackles, and of him wearing a ball gag. Several times, Reznor, wearing leather pants, floats and rotates through the air, suspended by invisible wires. There are also scenes of Reznor being blown back by a wind machine while wearing aviator goggles.

Fun Musical Fact:
The video got its old-timey look by being filmed on an old, never previously exposed canister of film stock.

Up Next:
Hey! More S&M references! Yay! And more spoilers, although for a completely different reason.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2011, 11:28:14 AM »
Number 22
(41 points, on 3 of 17 lists - Top Vote #1 by Imharil)

Yeah, embedding off. You can see it here: http://youtu.be/IIEVqFB4WUo
Or watch it backwards behind the spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whip It
Devo

Freedom of Choice

'Bout The Band:
Devo  is an American band formed in 1973 consisting of members from Kent and Akron, Ohio. They have maintained a cult following throughout its existence. Their style over time has shifted between punk, art rock, post-punk, and New Wave. Their music and stage show mingle kitsch science fiction themes, deadpan surrealist humor, and mordantly satirical social commentary. Their often discordantpop songs feature unusual synthetic instrumentation and time signatures that have proven influential on subsequent popular music, particularly New Wave, industrial andalternative rock artists. Devo was also a pioneer of the music video, creating many memorable clips for the Laser Disc format,

'Bout the Video:
The band performs at a ranch while Mark Mothersbaugh whips a girl's clothing off.

Fun Musical Fact:
The video was based on a 1962 article in "Dude" magazine about a man who did the same thing for tourists.

In addition, the video was funded entirely out of the band member's pockets.

Hey, Isn't That...?
No one really recognizable in this video, but here's Pearl Jam performing the song in costume at a Halloween concert. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0MtvJZU920

Up Next:
I'll decide when you've had enough, man.