login

Author Topic: LoC 48- Top 50 Music Videos of All Time  (Read 30851 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1002
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: LoC 48- Top 50 Music Videos of All Time
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »
Final thoughts in a few.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2011, 02:31:28 PM »
Here's my list:

1   Jamiroquai   Virtual Insanity
2   Muse   Knights of Cydonia
3   Beastie Boys   Sabotage
4   Fatboy Slim   Weapon of Choice

5   Chemical Brother   Let Forever Be (See Below)
6   White Stripes   Seven Nation Army
7   Electric Six   Danger High Voltage (See Below)
8   Michael Jackson   Thriller
9   Lucas   Lucas with the Lid Off
10   Tool   Sober
11   Michael Jackson   Billie Jean
12   OK Go   Here It Goes Again

13   Beastie Boys   Body Movin Diabolik didn't make it?!
14   Dirty Vegas   Days Go By
15   White Stripes   The Hardest Button To Button
16   Jamiroquai   Space Cowboy
17   Gun's And Roses   November Rain
18   Weezer   Buddy Holly
19   Foo Fighters   Everlong

20   Gorillaz   Feel Good Inc
21   Modest Mouse   Dashboard
22   Michael Jackson   Smooth Criminal
23   Fatboy Slim   Rockafeller Skank
24   Radiohead   Karma Police
25   Blind Melon   No Rain

Here are two that really need to be viewed.  I can only assume that they would be on the list if more people

were familiar with them.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2a4gyJsY0mc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2a4gyJsY0mc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
Yes, that is Jack White's voice, and this video is the inspiration for FOTC I Told You I Was Freaky.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5FyfQDO5g0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/s5FyfQDO5g0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

and a bonus one that I really should have included (spoilered since it's NSFW):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also check out Lucas With The Lid Off (another Michel Gondry): http://youtu.be/zhJp2gVtgpA

MontyServo

« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »
I'm confused.  Friday at number 2 was a joke?  and A-Ha is the real number two?

I thought it was strange that so many people would have it on their list high enough to have that many points.  I could see a few poeple maybe throwing it on there as a joke at 24 or 25.

Well then.

I had A-Ha on my list at 19 and Sabotage at 14.

That gives me five of my 25 that made the final list.  If number one is what I think it is then it is not on my list.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm confused too.  Why are there two number 2s?  I actually think that Friday did make it and that saddens me.  I don't mind the spoofs but the fact is that it's a meme and it's probably going to seem really cheesy in a few years, like the Macarena or Austin Powers impressions.  BTW, never sat through the entire thing (though I did listen to the Colbert/Fallon version and a podcast (pop my culture, I believe) where the James Urbaniak and others read it as different characters.  I tuned out the moment she rhymed cereal and bowl and said, "yeah, the joke is it's a dumb song.  I don't need any more thank you."  Also, I don't know here back story, but I pity Rebecca Black, as this is going to bite her in the ass a lot in life and she was just some tween who thought it would be cool to star in a music video.  Too me, that's far less insidious then Ke$ha, who may be history's greatest monster.

Anyway, great list!  The top two were my top two.  I know they are pretty cliche, but they are really good music videos and there was no other video I felt strongly enough, despite liking to break past those two.
Here's my list:

13   Beastie Boys   Body Movin Diabolik didn't make it?!

I think this almost made it onto my list.  I loved all those videos from that era.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:54:34 PM by Johnny Unusual »

MontyServo

« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2011, 03:07:53 PM »
Here is my list!

1 - Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf
2 - Alan Parsons Project - Don't Answer Me
3 - Whitesnake - Here I Go Again
4 - The Beautiful South - A Little Time
5 - The Housemartins - Happy Hour
6 - George Michael - Freedom! '90
7 - Weezer - Buddy Holly
8 - Don Henley - The Boys Of Summer
9 - Greg Kihn Band - Jeopardy
10 - The Tubes - She's A Beauty
11 - J. Geils Band - Centerfold
12 - Madonna - Vogue
13 - Nirvana - In Bloom
14 - Beastie Boys - Sabotage
15 - Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal

16 - Spice Girls - 2 Become 1
17 - Duran Duran - Rio
18 - Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
19 - a-ha - Take On Me
20 - The Cars — You Might Think
21 - Gowan - A Criminal Mind
22 - Adrian Belew - Oh Daddy
23 - Billy Idol - Cradle Of Love
24 - Shakespears Sister - Stay
25 - Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm

5 videos in total from my list made the main list.

Here are some clips of my also rans:

MontyServo

« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »
Nice, I had "You Might Think" as well.

Looking over my list I probably should have had it higher, everything past my top 4 or 5 is mostly arbitrarily ranked.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »
1. “Take On Me” A-Ha
2. “Thriller” Michael Jackson
3. “Beautiful World” Devo
4. “Polite Dance Song” The Bird and the Bee
5. “Buddy Holly” Weezer
6. “Sledgehammer” Peter Gabriel
7. “Sabotage” Beastie Boys
8. “This Too Shall Pass” OK Go

9. “Dare to be Stupid” Weird Al Yankovic
As a Devo fan, this is a pitch perfect send up of their sound and look to the point that Devo front man Mark Mothersbaugh called it the perfect Devo song and said.  "I was in shock. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard. He sort of re-sculpted that song into something else and, umm ... I hate him for it, basically."
10. “Land of Confusion” Genesis
11. “Human Behaviour” Bjork
12. “Experimental Film” They Might Be Giants
13. “Tonight, Tonight” Smashing Pumpkins

14. “Hotride” Prodigy
This is actually safe for work, but considering the guys who wrote the song "Smack My Bitch Up" were upset about the violent content...  I think this is more about the fact that the video is about violent children.  Not a prodigy fan, but this is a cool video.
15. “Don’t You Want Me” Human League
I only recently discovered this when the song was covered on AV Undercover.  I know the song, but I had never seen the video and it's pretty cool and a little more sinister than I expected.
16. “Mr. Wilson” Optiganally Yours
Whatever happened to this band?  The idea was that the main instrument was an obscure musical instrument from the 70's called the optigan.  Also I'm a sucker for well done faux-vintage
17. “My Favourite Game” The Cardigans
18. “Through Being Cool” Devo
19. “Body Movin’” Beastie Boys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvRBUw_Ls2o
(Oh, I did have it.  I guess Intergalactic wasn't on my list)
20. “Good Day Today” David Lynch
NSFW-ish.  Not directed by Lynch, but it sure feels like it!
21. “Bizarre Love Triangle” Frente
22. “Mad World” Gary Jules
23. “Rockit” Herbie Hancock
24. "Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse" Of Montreal
Second video on the list done by the Brothers Chaps.  If you guys are gonna stop doing Homestar, you got a great career in music videos.
25. “Three Little Pigs” Green Jelly
Huh, really surprised this didn't make it.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »
I'm confused.  Friday at number 2 was a joke?  and A-Ha is the real number two?

Yeah, I'm confused too.  Why are there two number 2s?  I actually think that Friday did make it and that saddens me. 

Okay, I was a tad too subtle here.  Friday got a grand total of 2 points as someone actually did vote for it. And that person should be very ashamed. But, no, it wasn't number two. That was just a joke. A joke I spent a lot of time setting up, but a joke still. See the original post I made:

Please let me tell you a little story.

You see, on this list I was having a tough time finalizing it, so I stuck in a joke entry as a place holder at my #4 slot, just so I could start compiling votes. I intended to swap it out as soon as that "Oh yeah. That song" moment of remembrance happened. But as I started counting votes, I noticed that about half of the lists included the song too.

See, I thought that I was just having a little private joke with myself, but apparently a number of you decided to make the same joke.  When first total showed it at #14, I was concerned. When more lists came it and it was at number 1, well, I started pounding my head on the desk.

Could I have swapped out my vote then? Yeah, probably. I did at one point. It didn't help. Eventually, I added it back in, figuring that I got myself into this mess, so I had to live with it.

However, thankfully, the final sets of votes knocked this out of the #1 slot and down to #2, and for that I am very thankful. And frankly, if I expected a joke entry to appear on the list, I was expecting it was going to be "Whip My Hair",  just because of the rules in the first post. Nope. You chose one worse. Well, about half of you did.

Everyone, here is what you voted for as your number 2 video. On the bright side, it has a Rifftrax connection.

Also, Miss Black's next song is probably not written by Mr. Richard D. Roll. His friends call him Rick.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6306
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2011, 05:18:09 PM »
Given this crowd, I'm really surprised that Leonard Nimoy singing The Ballad of Bilbo Baggans didn't make it.

Also, I am verys surprised that Tenacious D Tribute didn't make it.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2011, 05:28:05 PM »
A few quick notes- surprisingly, a number of big name artists were missing - The Chilli Peppers, Madonna, Art of Noise. Foo Fighters, Duran Duran, Peter Gabriel, Beastie Boys? All got one winning slot each.

Most Nominated Artist?
At second place? Madonna. Six different songs. First place? Weird Al. 10 different songs.

Song with the most votes not on the list?
Beat it. 4 different votes. 14 points.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2011, 05:41:37 PM »
Oh, and a list:
1   Beautiful World    Devo
2   Take On Me    A-Ha
3   Here It Goes Again    Ok, Go
4   Virtual Insanity    Jamiroquai
5   Thriller    Michael Jackson

6   Learn to Fly    Foo Fighters
7   Weapon of Choice    Fatboy Slim
8   Take Me Out (NYC Subway version)   Atomic Tom
9   White Knuckles    Ok, Go
10   Hurt    Johnny Cash
11   Right Now    Van Halen
12   Rio    Duran Duran
13   Freak on a Leash    Korn
14   I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)    Meatloaf
15   Sledgehamer    Peter Gabriel
16   The Kill   30 Seconds to Mars

17   Shadows of the Night    Pat Benatar
18   Romeo & Juliet    Dire Straits
19   Pork & Beans    Weezer
20   1,2,3,4    Feist
21   Total Eclipse of the Heat    Bonnie Tyler
22   Dreams    Van Halen
23   Crash and Burn    Savage Garden
24   Material Girl    Madonna
25   Everyone Else Has Had More Sex Than Me   TISM
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 12:39:40 AM by Compound »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2011, 06:16:42 PM »
I'm confused.  Friday at number 2 was a joke?  and A-Ha is the real number two?

Yeah, I'm confused too.  Why are there two number 2s?  I actually think that Friday did make it and that saddens me. 

Okay, I was a tad too subtle here.  Friday got a grand total of 2 points as someone actually did vote for it. And that person should be very ashamed. But, no, it wasn't number two. That was just a joke. A joke I spent a lot of time setting up, but a joke still. See the original post I made:

Please let me tell you a little story.

You see, on this list I was having a tough time finalizing it, so I stuck in a joke entry as a place holder at my #4 slot, just so I could start compiling votes. I intended to swap it out as soon as that "Oh yeah. That song" moment of remembrance happened. But as I started counting votes, I noticed that about half of the lists included the song too.

See, I thought that I was just having a little private joke with myself, but apparently a number of you decided to make the same joke.  When first total showed it at #14, I was concerned. When more lists came it and it was at number 1, well, I started pounding my head on the desk.

Could I have swapped out my vote then? Yeah, probably. I did at one point. It didn't help. Eventually, I added it back in, figuring that I got myself into this mess, so I had to live with it.

However, thankfully, the final sets of votes knocked this out of the #1 slot and down to #2, and for that I am very thankful. And frankly, if I expected a joke entry to appear on the list, I was expecting it was going to be "Whip My Hair",  just because of the rules in the first post. Nope. You chose one worse. Well, about half of you did.

Everyone, here is what you voted for as your number 2 video. On the bright side, it has a Rifftrax connection.

Also, Miss Black's next song is probably not written by Mr. Richard D. Roll. His friends call him Rick.

Wait, how do you spell "Psych!"?

Maybe he's saying that he is inside your head.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2011, 06:21:05 PM »

Wait, how do you spell "Psych!"?

Well, obviously I was referring to the interaction between Psyche and Cupid, implying that Miss Black had been scratched by her own magic arrows and as a result, the world would soon become a loveless planet with no one mating or falling in love. I mean, duh.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 315
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
Overall, this list shaped up nicely. Here's mine, with links to the videos that didn't make the cut ('cuz I don't know how to embed on here and I hate learning how to do things)

1. Sledgehammer – Peter Gabriel
2. Trapped in the Closet Part 1– R. Kelly
3. Sabotage – Beastie Boys

4. Sugarcube – Yo La Tengo (http://youtu.be/zDgpQBaziy0) **Surprised this didn't make it! Yo La Tengo go to rock school, run by David Cross & Bob Odenkirk!
5. Hell Bent – Kenna (http://tinyurl.com/yclaj7v) **Just a brilliant piece of animation
6. Once In A Lifetime—Talking Heads
7. Thriller – Michael Jackson
8. Weapon of Choice – Fatboy Slim

9. No Surprises – Radiohead (http://youtu.be/u5CVsCnxyXg) ** Thom Yorke fills up with water. Hooray!
10. Here it Goes Again – OK Go
11. Take On Me—A-Ha

12. You Can Call Me Al – Paul Simon (http://youtu.be/dMwzaa6sdxM) ** Chevy Chase classic!
13. The Super Bowl Shuffle – The 85 Chicago Bears
14. Buddy Holly – Weezer
15. Rabbit In Your Headlights – UNKLE

16. Homeboy – Adorable (http://youtu.be/KzYfKcuTrao) ** Cool, watery video for one of my fave songs ever...
17. Land of Confusion – Genesis
18. We Will Become Silhouettes – The Postal Service (http://youtu.be/gEILFf2XSrM) ** Ben Gibbard singing with his collar up = GOLD.
19. Rockit – Herbie Hancock
20. Just a Gigolo – David Lee Roth (http://youtu.be/lN-4lX0QyZc) ** DAVE TV!
21. Hello – Lionel Richie (http://youtu.be/b_ILDFp5DGA) ** "Mr. Reynolds, there's something going on in the sculpture class that you oughtta check out."
22. Hungry Like the Wolf – Duran Duran
23. Fat – “Weird Al” Yankovic (http://youtu.be/t2mU6USTBRE) **YO! DING DONG, MAN! DING DONG! DING DONG! YO!
24. Fell In Love With A Girl – The White Stripes (http://youtu.be/q27BfBkRHbs) ** Legos!
25. 1,2,3,4 – Feist (http://youtu.be/ABYnqp-bxvg) ** Pretty darn impressive one-take video!
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 315
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2011, 06:28:33 PM »
2 - Alan Parsons Project - Don't Answer Me

LOVE that video (and song!) Wish I had thought of it...
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!