login

Author Topic: As N.W.A. says.... F%!$ The Police!  (Read 1981 times)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
As N.W.A. says.... F%!$ The Police!
« on: February 13, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
So The Police have reunited and undoubtedly their lackluster performance of Roxanne at the Grammys has more meanings than one. Looking at ticket prices in some places they are over $200 for decent seats. UGH! Maybe if their Grammy performance made me say WOW! or AWESOME! or anything other than ehh! Then maybe I would go to one of the shows. For now I am content with my CDs.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: As N.W.A. says.... F%!$ The Police!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 02:25:44 PM »
It's mind boggling how production companies, tour managers, and bands (even as well-known as the Police) can get away with, let alone imagine, asking their "fans" to spend that much on 2 hours of live music.

I've been to week-long festivals that cost less, and featured dozens of bands. What are some people thinking?

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 02:30:07 PM »
as NWH says F@#$ the security guards

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 03:00:34 PM »
Good old NWH.

"Guerillas in the Midst"

• Compsognathus
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 03:01:32 PM »
its all about that booty juice

Offline Baron Samedi

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 03:58:10 PM »
Now, I love the Police.  I got Synchronicity when I was 8 years old, and I've been a huge fan ever since.  And that made the Grammy performance so much more painful.  I haven't had that feeling since I saw Generations or Phantom Menace in the theatres.  That incredible elation slowly being overcome by a sickening "what the hell is this?" sensation.

I guess the most perplexing part was the band's decision to replace one of the most daring and creative musicians of the '80s with that middle-of-the-road adult-contemporary sellout.  I still refuse to believe that 1983 Sting and 2007 Sting are the same person, and seeing that lute playing freak up there doing a half-assed cover version of a punk/reggae classic really soiled some childhood memories for me.

I'd pay some pretty good money to see Stewart Copeland live, particularly if he was playing with a good group again.  But Sting hasn't been worth my money since the early '90s.  I suppose if I saw him at the bus station playing for change I'd throw him a buck.  But if he thinks he can get $200 out of me, he's lost his damn mind.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 04:00:20 PM »
its all the other yutzs that arent as smart as you that are building his mansions

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 04:08:04 PM »
Yea, I guess if the market will bear it... you really can't blame the band/artist/whatever for charging it. If enough crazy people will pay $200 a pop to help Sting sell out an area, more power to him for taking their money.

My wife really wants to go see Billy Joel when he hits town in a couple months. I tried to weasle some corporate tickets on the cheap, which I can usually get away with on most concerts we're interested in. I guess people a lot higher up on the org chart than me snapped up the Billy Joel though. We found some other tickets thru a friend, but they are $100 per seat and they are BEHIND THE STAGE. Now I haven't been an avid concert goer for a good 8 or 10 years, but if I recall correctly they usually had the area behind the stage roped off and didn't even sell those seats. (At least not in your typical basketball/hockey arena venues.) My wife is still debating whether it's worth the money... and I like Billy Joel in the "I bought his Greatest Hits collection" type of way... but if it was up to me, I'd buy her a concert DVD and be done with it.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 11:53:12 PM »
It would be nice if they didn't sell enough tickets. But I doubt that will happen. Like I said if I was blown away by the Grammy appearance I would probably go. As it is I have no desire to go. Eddie Murphy in 48 Hours sang Roxanne with more enthusiasm.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline waffen

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 08:44:39 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the police. I don't blame them for wanting to do a reunion and making a truckload a money. I won't go and see them live in 2007. I saw them live for $20.00 in 1983.

Ps. If you are a fan of andy summers, read his book "one train later" two words:great book.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 08:44:23 AM by waffen »