Author Topic: Star Wars Live-Action Series Shelved...  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
Star Wars Live-Action Series Shelved...
« on: May 26, 2011, 04:32:07 AM »
...because George Lucas, apparently having learned nothing, is waiting for technology to be developed that will enable him to make it the way he wants:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49789

Doctor Who?

Re: Star Wars Live-Action Series Shelved...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:11:53 AM »
Well that is most likely for the best.  I tell you except for watching the first three movies once every couple of years I have really stopped caring about Star Wars.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:29:48 PM »
Part of me is relieved.

Part of me wanted to see the train wreck.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 06:05:26 AM »
Pity. I think it could've been good; I like the Clone Wars, and I think an adult-oriented series would be fun.

Even Clone Wars is hit and miss for me.  And the good is mostly because it's so much better than the prequels.

If you're going to do new Star Wars, they need to take a cue from Knights of the Old Republic and just go for a different era.  Knights of the Old Republic is the best thing to come from the Star Wars franchise in the last decade by far.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:28:21 AM by Rainbow Dash »

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 06:43:57 AM »
Part of me is relieved.

Part of me wanted to see the train wreck.

What you said.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 07:15:56 AM »
Knights of the Old Republic is the best thing to come from the Star Trek franchise in the last decade by far.

was that before the federation? was zephram cochrane one of the knights?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 07:28:09 AM »
The biggest problem with KOTOR is that it's supposed to be a billion years or whatever before the prequels, but everything looks basically the same. Maybe 20 years before, tech wise.  Really? In a billion years, there have been no advances or changes in tech at all? And then in 30 years between the prequels and the oritinal trilogy there was a ton?

It was 4,000 years but I agree with that point.  The characters and story were good enough that I could forgive that though.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 08:05:05 AM »
I also didn't get the huge hype around KOTOR. I had fun with it and things were generally well written for the type of game that it was.... but I think it got graded on a pretty steep curve from a story perspective because it was being compared to the generally dopey prequels.

As far as this show,  my glass-half-empty expectation was that it would end up being some dull and/or preachy soap opera in space ala the Galactica reboot.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:08:58 AM by Nunyerbiz »

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 03:13:03 PM »
The biggest problem with KOTOR is that it's supposed to be a billion years or whatever before the prequels, but everything looks basically the same. Maybe 20 years before, tech wise.  Really? In a billion years, there have been no advances or changes in tech at all? And then in 30 years between the prequels and the oritinal trilogy there was a ton?

See, I'd argue that that's an issue of your own perspective. I'm not putting you down here, because it's totally understandable - everyone on this forum is living at the tail end of 200 years or so of a tremendous boom in technological advancement. We talk a lot about the 20th century, that started with steam trains and telegraphs, and ended with jet airplanes the internet. But the 19th century was just as impressive in its own way - starting out with four-masted sailing ships and blacksmithing, and ending with electricity, photography, modern medicine, steamships, railroads, telephones, repeating rifles, and automobiles.

The point is that we live (and our parents lived, and grandparents, and so on, 200 years back) in an era of such an upswing in technological development that it's a little hard for us to imagine an era where that would basically plateau for an extended period. But in fact, it's totally possible, and probably even inevitable. If it happened, it'd basically be what we see in Star Wars - small, incremental improvements to tech that's been around a long time.

In fact, if you remove the outlier of computerization and electronics (including internet devices, cell phones, game systems, DVD players, iPods, digital cameras, etc.), and perhaps some kinds of medicine, you could even say we're kind of plateauing now. Is your car really all that spectacularly better than a car made 50 years ago? It'll last longer, it's safer, and it's more efficient, sure. But it does all the same basic things. It's got four wheels and an engine and burns gasoline so it can travel down a strip of asphalt - it goes just about as fast, it's just about as comfortable, and it's just about as reliable. A 787 Dreamliner is way more efficient and has better navigational equipment than the 707 or DC-8 you would have flown on in 1961, but it flies about as high, goes about as fast, and is only marginally safer and more reliable. Your refrigerator is about the same, your stove is about the same, your water heater is about the same - more efficient, doubtless, and probably more reliable, but they all do basically about the same thing in about the same way.

So yeah, I totally buy that there could be an era where technological development could plateau and just see small incremental improvements for a really long time. In human history, that's the rule, and we just happen to be living in the exception.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 05:22:34 PM »
Well, the limits we are seeing now aren't so much technologically imposed as they are economically imposed. After the 707 airliner of the 1950s we continued to develop the technology to build hypersonic airliners that could fly from New York to Tokyo in two hours. Since going to the moon, we have developed the technology to send men to Mars. Since the automatic transmission of 50+ years ago, we have developed the technolgy for cars that can drive unattended at 120 mph on a smart interstate where you could kick back and not touch the wheel...  I don't think our current plateau has been technological... but the older stuff is more practical and does the job at a much higher profit margin, so there is no motive for the corporations or desire from the consumers to push things further. What we have developed in the last 200 years is the best bang for the buck... that doesn't mean it's the best bang.

That said, I will agree with you in regards to Star Wars. Once you have laser guns and faster than light interstellar travel, I'm not sure where else you can go within the realm of practical / applicable physics.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 09:19:08 PM »
...because George Lucas, apparently having learned nothing, is waiting for technology to be developed that will enable him to make it the way he wants:
I'm guessing this "missing essential technology" he's waiting for is the ability to actually pee on every theater attendee watching the movie. Michael Bay is very interested in this burgeoning technology too.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »
It sounds to me like the main thing he's waiting for is the ability to do something with the production value of the prequels, but cheaper than the prequels and on a weekly basis.

And as to why KOTOR was so hyped, I think the main reason it got so much attention is because it was the first Star Wars game in a long time that was actually any good at all.  Most of the Star Wars games that came out around the time of the prequels really kinda sucked.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Doctor Who?

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 10:02:48 AM »
I'm guessing this "missing essential technology" he's waiting for is the ability to actually pee on every theater attendee watching the movie. Michael Bay is very interested in this burgeoning technology too.

:D :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 11:03:13 AM »
And as to why KOTOR was so hyped, I think the main reason it got so much attention is because it was the first Star Wars game in a long time that was actually any good at all.  Most of the Star Wars games that came out around the time of the prequels really kinda sucked.

Well for a non-flight game.  There were several excellent flying Star Wars games about that time, like Rogue Squadron II on Gamecube.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 12:54:10 PM »

Well for a non-flight game.  There were several excellent flying Star Wars games about that time, like Rogue Squadron II on Gamecube.

Yeah, and that was somewhat of a surprise itself given how much the first Rogue Squadron for N64 sucked.  The missions were way too hard and your wingmates were morons who constantly got shot down by probe droids.  Probe droids, for god's sake!  The kind that in the movie self-destructed almost immediately after it realized it had been discovered! 
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104