Author Topic: Did I Download The Wrong Version?  (Read 2922 times)

Offline CombatCraig

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Did I Download The Wrong Version?
« on: May 26, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »
So I thought if I downloaded the VOD version of Crater Lake I'd be able to burn the file to a DVD on my mac and watch it on the TV/DVD. I guess I need certain software (unless I missing something mac users...) should I have gotten the ISO file and burned it with Disk Utility? Is it too late to get the ISO version since I've paid for the movie?

Thanks!

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: Did I Download The Wrong Version?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 01:41:17 PM »
You did buy the wrong version. However, there's probably still some way to convert it to DVD that I don't know about. Fortunately the MPEG version of this is pretty good quality.

However, this brings back a question I had back when they did Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny (and to which Conor basically answered "I don't know" IIRC): Why are there separate VoD and D2B options in the first place? For $10 it seems like we should get every option. I'm too impatient to wait for the D2B to download, but I'm always torn when it comes to the decision of buying the lower quality version instead to get it sooner (which is what I almost always do).

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:23:19 PM »
So I thought if I downloaded the VOD version of Crater Lake I'd be able to burn the file to a DVD on my mac and watch it on the TV/DVD. I guess I need certain software (unless I missing something mac users...) should I have gotten the ISO file and burned it with Disk Utility? Is it too late to get the ISO version since I've paid for the movie?

Thanks!

I download the vod like you did and I use dvdflick (free!) and convert and burn to DVD that way.   very simple

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:45:09 PM »
You did buy the wrong version. However, there's probably still some way to convert it to DVD that I don't know about. Fortunately the MPEG version of this is pretty good quality.

However, this brings back a question I had back when they did Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny (and to which Conor basically answered "I don't know" IIRC): Why are there separate VoD and D2B options in the first place? For $10 it seems like we should get every option. I'm too impatient to wait for the D2B to download, but I'm always torn when it comes to the decision of buying the lower quality version instead to get it sooner (which is what I almost always do).

This is something I've been thinking about, but remember, you forum guys are not the majority of our customers. I'm trying to keep things simple, and at least keeping the number of files down is the first step. I'm thinking of different ways to make the options be more numerous while keeping things easy to use... it's a difficult balance.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2646
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:57:47 PM »

This is something I've been thinking about, but remember, you forum guys are not the majority of our customers. I'm trying to keep things simple, and at least keeping the number of files down is the first step. I'm thinking of different ways to make the options be more numerous while keeping things easy to use... it's a difficult balance.

I just had an idea about this:

When you make the DVD, how about making it with 3 audio streams.  Track 1 would be the normal one, track 2 movie only, track 3 riffers only.  That way most people that don't mess with stuff will never know the other tracks are there unless they hit the audio button on their DVD remote, and those of us that are used to ripping DVDs would be able to get the isolated sound tracks without needing separate downloads.

Another thing that would be good about having the isolated riffer track, sometimes it's nice to listen to a joke without the movie audio around and under it.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:09:50 AM »
Interesting suggestion, and if we already weren't offering the separate tracks as mp3s I would give it consideration (...and actually have thought about doing just that.) but that would add another step - ripping - for those who want to do their own mix. Much less confusing to just keep the separate audio tracks, and if you want them in your dvd, add them.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »
Interesting suggestion, and if we already weren't offering the separate tracks as mp3s I would give it consideration

But you don't put those mp3s in the download to burn option.  And you just said you didn't want to confuse people by having those extra files with that.  So adding the extra audio tracks to the iso disk image would be a way around that.

But if from now on every VOD option will have a DVD quality mpg file it doesn't matter, those that want to do their own ducking can go with that option only. 

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 06:28:15 PM »
And you just said you didn't want to confuse people by having those extra files with that.

He didn't say that, I did :P

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 06:38:31 PM »
And you just said you didn't want to confuse people by having those extra files with that.

He didn't say that, I did :P

Ooops, sorry thrashalla.