Author Topic: Play the Wikipedia game! As inspired by XKCD.  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Play the Wikipedia game! As inspired by XKCD.
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »
The alt-text to Wednesday's XKCD comic says that if you take any Wikipedia article, and click on the first link not in parentheses or italics or in one of those informational boxes about Wikipedia editing standards and repeat ad nauseum, you eventually end up at an article about philosophy of some sort.  Try it and see.  Let's take the entry for Rifftrax.

First word: "audio commentaries" follow this and you're led to "DVD".  Then "optical disc".  Then "computing".  Then "computer".   Then "macine".  Then "energy".  Then "physics".  Then "natural science".  Then "science".  Then "knowledge".  Then "facts".  Then "information".  Then "sequence".  Then "mathematics".  Then "quantity".  Then "property".  Finally, "modern philosophy".

Try it for yourself!

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 212
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: Play the Wikipedia game! As inspired by XKCD.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Six degrees to Socrates, eh?  Let's see...

"Yor, the Hunter from the Future" leads to "1983."  "1983" leads to "Roman Numerals."  "Numeral system."  "Writing system."  "Symbolic System."  "Psychology."  "Science."

Well, I see when you got to "Science" it led to "Philosophy" from there.

You see, folks?  Follow "Yor" closely enough and you'll get to deep thought eventually.   ;D
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:54:52 AM »
"Homestar Runner" > "Flash animation" > "animated" > "illusion" > "senses" > "organism" > "biology" > "natural science" > "science" > "knowledge" > "facts" > "information" > "sequence" > "mathematics" > "quantity" > "property" > "modern philosophy".

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 600
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »
"Wikipedia" > "Free content" > "Work of art" > "Aesthetics" > "Philosophy"

Hmm..... :|  Just wanted to see how fast that would happen.

"Tommy Wiseau" > "Screenwriter" > "Screenplay" > "Film" > "Recording" > "Process" > "Milk" > "Mammary gland" > "Organ (anatomy)" > "Biology" > "Natural science" > "Science" > "Knowledge" > "Fact" > "Information" > "Sequence" > "Mathematics" > "Quantity" > "Property" > "Modern philosophy"

Yep, "Mammary gland" is what separates Tommy Wiseau from Modern philosophy.   ;D

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »
I'm noticing that the common thread is not so much that things devolve to "philosophy", but rather that they devolve to "science".  I wonder if I can find one that bypasses "science".

"Barack Obama" > "44th" (this is the link, actually leads to a list of presidents of the U.S.) > "United States Constitution" > "Supreme Law" > "state" > "social sciences" > "fields" (list of academic disciplines) > "knowledge" > "facts" > "information" > "sequence" > "mathematics" > "quantity" > "property" > "modern philosophy".

So we bypassed "science", but still hit "knowledge".

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 01:06:03 PM »
"Modern philosophy" links to "philosophy" by the way, but I felt it was unnecessary to show that final step, since "modern philosophy" is close enough.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
I'm noticing that the common thread is not so much that things devolve to "philosophy", but rather that they devolve to "science".  I wonder if I can find one that bypasses "science".

Umm... just go to the post directly before this one. First line.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »
I'm noticing that the common thread is not so much that things devolve to "philosophy", but rather that they devolve to "science".  I wonder if I can find one that bypasses "science".

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »
I'm noticing that the common thread is not so much that things devolve to "philosophy", but rather that they devolve to "science".  I wonder if I can find one that bypasses "science".

:D Hahaha....

I don't get the running smiley.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »

:D Hahaha....

I don't get the running smiley.
No signifigance.  I just thought it was cute.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 03:38:53 PM »
"Smiley"->"smiling"->"facial expression"->"Motion"(disambiguation)->"Motion(physics)"Clicked the first disambiguation->"Physics"->"Natural Science"->"Science"->And so on.

And therefore...
A WITCH!

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 03:58:56 PM »
This is crazy.
Sarah Palin, Governor of Alaska, Chief executive, Head of government, Executive (government), authority, Latin, Italic languages, Indo-European languages, Language family, Language, Human, Taxonomy, Science...

Bypassing science?  Here's an idea:
Billy Graham, Evangelicalism, Protestantism, Christianity, Monotheism, Deity, Preternatural, Nature, Phenomenon, Observation, Knowledge, Fact, Information, Sequence, Mathematics, Quantity, Property, Modern philosophy, Philosophy  NO SCIENCE.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:09:34 PM by Kete »

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • I use every color in the box. At once.
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 04:21:35 PM »
Makes sense. You start on a very specific subject, and in an attempt to explain what it is you use wider and more encompassing terms, eventually coming to what we use to explain everything: science and/or philosophy.

It's the same reason Godwin's law exists (discussions eventually devolving into questions of personal morality, and the popular belief is that Nazis believed in everything you believe is wrong), and the reason why I am embarking on a Wikipedia editing crusade to make sure playing the link game eventually brings you to Hitler.
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 05:35:36 PM »
Philosophy->Existence->Sense->Perception->Awareness->Consciousness->Mind->Panpsychism->Philosophy

Philosophy leads back to philosophy in eight steps.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 05:54:23 PM »
Philosophy->Existence->Sense->Perception->Awareness->Consciousness->Mind->Panpsychism->Philosophy

Philosophy leads back to philosophy in eight steps.

This game's a mobius strip!
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!