Author Topic: ALCATRAZ  (Read 4177 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
ALCATRAZ
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:17:59 PM »
Very high hopes for this. Unreasonably high hopes. So high they'll almost certainly be resoundingly dashed. Still, BRING IT ABRAMS!!!

IMDB says 2013 but looks like it's ready for a mid-season premiere this Fall.

SYNOPSIS

When San Francisco Police Department DET. REBECCA MADSEN (Sarah Jones, “Sons of Anarchy”) is assigned to a grisly homicide case, a fingerprint leads her to a shocking suspect: JACK SYLVANE (guest star Jeffrey Pierce, “The Nine”), a former Alcatraz inmate who died decades ago. Given her family history – both her grandfather and surrogate uncle, RAY ARCHER (Robert Forster, “Jackie Brown”), were guards at the prison – Madsen’s interest is immediately piqued, and once the enigmatic, knows-everything-but-tells-nothing government agent EMERSON HAUSER (Sam Neill, “Jurassic Park”) tries to impede her investigation, she’s doggedly committed. Madsen turns to Alcatraz expert and comic book enthusiast, DR. DIEGO “DOC” SOTO (Jorge Garcia, “Lost”), to piece together the inexplicable sequence of events. The twosome discovers that Sylvane is not only alive, but he’s loose on the streets of San Francisco, leaving bodies in his wake. And strangely, he hasn’t aged a day since he was in Alcatraz, when the prison was ruled by the iron-fisted WARDEN EDWIN JAMES (Jonny Coyne, “Undercovers”) and the merciless ASSOCIATE WARDEN E.B. TILLER (Jason Butler Harner, “The Changeling”).

Madsen and Soto reluctantly team with Agent Hauser and his technician, LUCY BANERJEE (Parminder Nagra, “ER”), to stop Sylvane’s vengeful killing spree. By delving into Alcatraz history, government cover-ups and Rebecca’s own heritage, the team will ultimately discover that Sylvane is only a small part of a much larger, more sinister present-day threat. For while he may be the first, it quickly becomes clear that Sylvane won’t be the last prisoner to reappear from Alcatraz.

Through the course of the investigation, Madsen and Soto will learn that Agent Hauser has known about the prison’s secret history and has been awaiting the prisoners’ return. Soto will witness his life’s work – the history of Alcatraz – come alive. Madsen will be forced to keep her supportive San Francisco cop fiancé, JIMMY DICKENS (Santiago Cabrera, “Heroes”), at arm’s length from the highly classified assignment as she sees everything she thought she knew about her family’s past shattered, all while fighting to keep the country safe from history’s most dangerous criminals.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_jAlFqvASU?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/J_jAlFqvASU?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1728102/

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: ALCATRAZ
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 02:13:21 PM »
I'll definitely be DVR-ing this.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:35:18 PM »
I do see one potential downfall...

It's on Fox.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »
That means it will be canceled after 13 episodes.

Why do producers even pitch new show ideas to fox,fox is the kiss of death to any good show.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »

Why do producers even pitch new show ideas to fox,fox is the kiss of death to any good show.

Well, I think Abrams might carry a bit more weight than...wait, hang on a sec. ..

This just in: FOX announces it will cancel ALCATRAZ after four episodes.

In related news, FOX announces Summer launch of the long-awaited 24-hour Cleveland Show Network.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »

Well, I think Abrams might carry a bit more weight than...wait, hang on a sec. ..

This just in: FOX announces it will cancel ALCATRAZ after four episodes.

In related news, FOX announces Summer launch of the long-awaited 24-hour Cleveland Show Network.

:D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

it's funny because it's true.

I mean if anyone should have had enough clout to have their shows given a chance it should have been the creators of Burn Notice and The Shield.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 12:09:25 PM »
Well, the wait is over. Two-hour season premiere Monday night. I'm very psyched about this one. C'mon Alcatraz, I dare you to dash my unreasonably high expectations!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 02:13:20 PM »
Well, this tempers my expectations a bit, but I'm still pretty psyched.

Alcatraz: TV Review

The J.J. Abrams-produced Fox drama revolves around the concept that when the infamous prison closed, all the remaining prisoners mysteriously vanished. And now they're back.

It’s almost impossible not to like any dramatic concept conceived around Alcatraz, the famous and shuttered prison-turned-tourist-attraction that sits on its own little island, what seems a stone’s throw from one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Except there’s not a lengthy list of quality fiction about Alcatraz. And as much as the notion for Fox’s new drama seems eagerly palpable – when Alcatraz closed all the remaining prisoners were not shipped to other prisons, they mysteriously vanished – there’s not much payoff to the premise.

Which is a real shame, because there’s a good show here somewhere. The prisoners have started coming back. And they haven’t aged. And they’re picking up where they left off in the doing-bad-things department.

It just sounds so perfect. Right? All 302 prisoners and guards went poof into the night. Now a San Francisco cop, Det. Rebecca Madsen (Sarah Jones) has stumbled on a murder committed by the first prisoner to surface. She is aided in her search by “Alcatraz expert and comic book enthusiast” Dr. Diego “Doc” Soto (Jorge Garcia). Those two get more information than they really know what to do with once they interfere with and then essentially get absorbed by government agent Emerson Hauser (Sam Neill) and his less evil-seeming partner, Lucy (Parminder Nagra). Yeah, we know the real story, Hauser says reluctantly. But the hows and whys will come slowly.

The immediate question is, how long are you willing to wait? After all, Alcatraz is executive produced by J.J. Abrams and we know his track record with mythology. On the other hand, each of the first two episodes felt like closed-ended procedurals that tracked one missing Alcatraz prisoner over the course of the hour. Only 300 to go!

But something’s amiss here. For starters, Alcatraz is another one of those series you want to love but end up liking, and even then with some caveats. Meaning, it’s not fully realized yet and the first two episodes (shown together tonight) hook you with the premise – Alcatraz! Prisoners! Unexplained phenomena! – but go about the rest of it in a plodding fashion.

Alcatraz ends up feeling like a rote, by-the-numbers procedural and less like anything Abrams was actively involved in because it lacks real passion and flair. This is one island you don’t yet want to get Lost on.

You know something’s off when Jones can’t seem to hook you as a main character, Garcia seems to be going out of his way to make you forget his Hurley character from Lost – by lowering his pulse and quip rate – while Neill seems to be playing laid-back-sinister to new levels of casualness.

In short, they don’t seem so thrilled about Alcatraz.

Half the time you want to shake them. The Rock! Infamous prison! Prisoners have vanished (and now returned) in some perfectly J.J. Abrams kind of crazy mystery. This will be awesome if you’d just wake up!

On the other hand, it doesn’t seem like there’s enough to invest in even if they did become compelling as a trio. The writing if flat and expository-laden. The drama – outside of the mystery of how it all happened – is saddled to predictable plots. The exterior shots (and some location shooting) in San Francisco look beautiful. But it might be easier just to buy a postcard and save yourself the time of investing in Alcatraz, another series that can’t seem to do much with what it’s given.

Airs Monday, Jan. 16, at 8 p.m., then Mondays at 9 p.m., Fox

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 04:17:11 PM »
I liked the first few minutes before my antenna went all wonky-doodle... Damn wind in Chicago messing everything up.

Once I get all my crap reinstalled on my laptop, I will download it and watch.  I was intrigued by what I saw.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 07:37:57 PM »
I kind of liked the pilot. I assume it will get to the point where there are more than just one convict running around. After all, the guy who killed the girls partner is still out there.  (That should keep things spoiler free for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.)

I always like to give shows a few episodes to get going before I really decide especially with non-comedy shows.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 07:56:34 PM »
I kind of liked the pilot. I assume it will get to the point where there are more than just one convict running around. After all, the guy who killed the girls partner is still out there.  (That should keep things spoiler free for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.)

I always like to give shows a few episodes to get going before I really decide especially with non-comedy shows.

I missed the first episode but I will give it a season try,after all it took almost a whole season for both Fringe and Babylon 5 to get good but once they got good they became really good.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »
Just watched the two hour premier event ... which I think is just two episodes slapped together... and I liked it. I already don't give a shit about the overarching conspiracy super secret government agency time travel alternate wormhole universe aspects... as I already know that part of the show will turn into a big convoluted clusterfuck like every other show that tries overarching conspiracy super secret government agency time travel alternate wormhole universe aspects... But as a detective show, it worked pretty well for these two episodes.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 11:19:56 AM »
as I already know that part of the show will turn into a big convoluted clusterfuck like every other show that tries overarching conspiracy super secret government agency time travel alternate wormhole universe aspects...

So far, I wouldn't even remotely say Fringe has become a big convoluted clusterfuck.  I just finished re-watching the 3 and a half seasons in a marathon, and it makes perfect sense.  In fact, I think they could un-dumb-it-down quite a bit to make it less accessible, and I'd be even happier.

So not EVERY other show turns into a clusterfuck.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »
I'm not going to remember enough about Fringe to really debate that.... I never watched it religiously... although I did see a decent chunk of the first two seasons or so watching it with my wife. But that said, I dunno about making perfect sense... many times I thought the writers of Fringe were clearly honor students from the Geordi LaForge "let's use horseshit pseudo science to get out this jam!"  School of Sci-Fi. That show just never did much for me.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 06:39:19 PM »
many times I thought the writers of Fringe were clearly honor students from the Geordi LaForge "let's use horseshit pseudo science to get out this jam!"  School of Sci-Fi. That show just never did much for me.

Don't let the scientists at CERN who study all that horseshit pseudo science hear you say that!!!  They'll smash your atoms into another wave-function so fast!!