Author Topic: XXX : Thoughts?  (Read 40813 times)

Offline Code Name: Bobby Goldsboro Hair

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • Stop thinking that I'm Lovejoy.
    • Camera Eye
Re: XXX : Thoughts?
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2006, 01:16:43 PM »
I think this one might be my favorite. I loathe Vin Diesel and big, dumb action movies so this was right up my alley. I think that movies like XXX are perfect for RiffTrax. XXX is completely cliched, absurd, big, dumb and pointless and it takes itself 100% seriously.

My favorite riffs:

"You know, instead of stealing a senator's car and driving it over a bridge, you might want to try going to the polls and voting."
"Watch, it will hit a big pile of Ted Kennedy's cars already down there."
"A discarded motorbike of the very kind I am adept at riding. And it is completely fueled and meticulously maintained. I am fortunate in that regard."
"His ability to bend slightly is paying HUGE dividends!"

Plus Mike does a hilarious Vin Diesel impression.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2006, 07:25:55 PM »
Did anyone notice that one of the reasons for the MPAA rating was "nonstop action"??? I kid you not~ Awesome...

I just saw that today.  That seems more like a joke from a McBain movie on the Simpsons than an actual MPAA criteria for rating movies.

I hate when people put a quote inside a quote... but oh well, sue me~

Anyway, this kind of goofy MPAA rating thing has been going on for awhile now. When i was a kid (and movie theaters still had posters *explaining* the ratings systems in their lobbies) there were just the basic Violence, Nudity, etc.

Now they get all specific and it's totally like a joke. Check out a few of my favorites... They're all for real, i swear. Just check out the IMDB:

xXx: PG-13 for "Non-Stop Action Sequences"

Alien Vs. Predator: PG-13 for "Slime And Gore"

Van Helsing: PG-13 for "Nonstop Creature Action Violence"

Queen Of The Damned: R for "Vampire violence"

Blue Crush: PG-13 for "Teen Partying, ...And A Fight"

Lords Of Dogtown: PG-13 for "Reckless Behavior"

But probably the BEST of all-time:

Twister: PG-13 for "Intense Depection Of Very Bad Weather"

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2006, 08:25:41 PM »
My favorite was Powerpuff Girls: Rated G for Non-Stop Frenetic Violence. :^)

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2006, 11:10:19 PM »

You're making that up!

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2006, 03:09:28 AM »
I got the weirdest look from the girl in the ticket booth when I said, "Hi. Two student tickets for the Powerpuff movie, please."

Don't forget my favorite guilty pleasure - Team America: World Police, "Rated R for graphic crude and sexual humor, violent images and strong language - all involving puppets."

AMERICA! F*CK YEAH!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 03:11:50 AM by The Sharktopus »

Offline Otis

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2006, 07:31:29 AM »
Good stuff. My favroite riff from this one is when Vin pauses to look down the snow-covered mountain, getting ready to blow stuff up, and Mike says, "Yodel-ay-hee-hoo."

I laughed so hard I woke up the baby and got in trouble with the spouse. Thanks Mike.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2006, 08:05:33 AM »
You're making that up!

I may have spelled it wrong, but i swear it's for real...

Go check it out: http://imdb.com/title/tt0117998/

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2006, 09:44:25 AM »
Great rifftrack.  My favorite riffs:

"Ooh, she gave him an Iceman teeth-chomp."

"I'm gonna have to get on that thing."
"What?"
"What?"
"What?"
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Code Name: Bobby Goldsboro Hair

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Stop thinking that I'm Lovejoy.
    • Camera Eye
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2006, 10:57:16 AM »
Did anyone notice that one of the reasons for the MPAA rating was "nonstop action"??? I kid you not~ Awesome...

I just saw that today.  That seems more like a joke from a McBain movie on the Simpsons than an actual MPAA criteria for rating movies.

Anyway, this kind of goofy MPAA rating thing has been going on for awhile now. When i was a kid (and movie theaters still had posters *explaining* the ratings systems in their lobbies) there were just the basic Violence, Nudity, etc.

Now they get all specific and it's totally like a joke. Check out a few of my favorites... They're all for real, i swear. Just check out the IMDB:

-Rude

My favorite MPAA warning is for Team America: World Police:

Rated R for graphic crude and sexual humor, violent images and strong language - all involving puppets

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2006, 11:07:15 AM »
I'm laughing again just reading these quotes.

"Oh no! My collection of oily rags!"
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2006, 12:32:13 PM »
The thing I found amazing, (besides Mike's great writing and riffing), was that the movie is so- so- SO- completely unbelievable.  I mean, only a 14 year old kid failing public school could actually believe that a secret government agent would be culled from the ranks of a bunch of anti-government street punks, like Vin's character.  Can you imagine the political fallout that any administration would face if it came out that some melty faced NSA commander had given top level clearance to a snow boarder?  A snow boarder who trashed a US senator's car?  For National Defense?  Oh man...

Department of Homeland Security's new asset, Tony Hawk.  "Your Honor, we really liked his video games... so..."
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2006, 04:54:36 PM »
That's exactly why they make the best secret agents, because no one expects them to be secret agents.  And being sports enthusiasts they can travel to weird, dangerous locations.  "Why are you going to Iran to climb a mountain?"  "Because it's there."  And people wouldn't question their intelligence because they already regard them as fairly stupid. 

If it worked for Chuck Barris, it can work for xtreme athletes.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2006, 08:15:24 PM »
I mean, only a 14 year old kid failing public school could actually believe that a secret government agent would be culled from the ranks of a bunch of anti-government street punks, like Vin's character.

I thought thats how they often hire hackers.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2006, 07:51:49 AM »
A Ripe-for-Riffing movie should attempt to take itself seriously, which xXx does, in my opinion.

"The Xander Zone"? How utterly rediculous!

Why does every single movie that involves Eurotrash have to include numerous "clubs" with fancy light shows/Tesla coils/horribly repetitive music/leather-clad dancers/people with greasy hair/chain-smokers?

That little Q wannabe from MIT should have been shot in the head by xXx the minute he appeared on screen. Hearing Mike's desire to pray for this man's death was pure gold!!!

Asia Argento needs some dental work done. Pronto.

When Skaters act... - PRICELESS!!!!!!!

After re-watching this gem thanks to Mike's superior riffing, I was reminded just how God-awful this turd of a movie was!! And Ebert, well, I wish I could deduct public opinion points from him for that. The fact that he influences a great deal of the movie-going public should be grounds for some kind of punishment for giving xXx a 3 & 1/2 star rating. Shame on you, Roger. Every clich? in the book, horrible acting, rediculous plot, not a new idea in sight, this movie has all the trappings of an F-grade movie, and here we have a respected national critic giving it undeserved accolades. He prides himself in his judgement of films based on their intentions, but he doesn't play fair. I still haven't forgiven him for his trashing of UHF, one of the best comedies in history.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 08:32:30 AM by kodiakthejuggler »

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2006, 08:14:25 AM »

-Rude

Rude, if you liked those ratings descriptions, here's one to add to the list:

Braveheart: R for "Brutal medieval warfare" - Sounds cool, no?

And yeah, the rating description for Twister was the best!!