Author Topic: Dead Games That Should Have Lived  (Read 12800 times)

Offline Brak

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • The Master Would Not Approve!
    • Horrid Coloring Books
Re: Dead Games That Should Have Lived
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 11:55:44 AM »
And yes, it would be SO great if they would start rolling out some of the old fashioned Lucasarts SCUMM engine type games again. DoTT was the best adventure game ever!

Yeah its really sad that the only type of game that they still sell on the Lucasarts Store is Monkey Island 4.  They dont even have that soundtrack Cd that has some of the themes from all of those games (i really wanted that one, maybe its on ebay or something)  And to prove my point even more, Lucasarts just redesigned their website and you can see the next star wars game that is going to be comming out in November of this year.  I mean its great that they are using a new technology for it (just like in the new Indiana Jones game) but let try and come up with some new stuff eh guys??

Offline Skiptastic

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Riffer Madness
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »
King's Quest
Eternal Darkness
TMNT games, done arcade style, done with old animation style, done WELL

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 03:08:36 PM »
Yeah its really sad that the only type of game that they still sell on the Lucasarts Store is Monkey Island 4.  They dont even have that soundtrack Cd that has some of the themes from all of those games (i really wanted that one, maybe its on ebay or something)

Good News, Brak:
You can find MP3's of the Monkey Island 1 through 4 soundtracks here... LEGALLY, and for FREE:

http://www.scummbar.com//resources/downloads/index.php?todo=MP3

Offline Brak

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • The Master Would Not Approve!
    • Horrid Coloring Books
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 03:11:43 PM »
Ah thank you sir! gotta love the music of those games

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 03:29:35 PM »
Ah thank you sir! gotta love the music of those games

Indeed. The rock remix versions of the Monkey Island 1 theme are interesting, though I wish they were better audio quality, and weren't quite so repetative, but still not too bad. I think they're fan versions too, not official soundtrack stuff, though I could be wrong.

Oh and don't miss the Dominic Armato (voice of guybrush in MI 3 & 4) demo tape bonus track in the MI 3 OST section. It's quite a treat to find amidst everything else. :)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3934
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »
I'd love to see the adventure game make a full comeback.

To answer the original question: SPACE QUEST! I long for the further adventures of Roger Wilco. I hoped that when they got to 10 they'd actually call it Latex Babes of Estros. :^)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 01:08:54 PM »
to me Symphony of the night proved there is still life in the sidescroller, and there will be as long as there are top notch anime animaters out there, i would love to see some new sidescrollers

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2007, 01:15:41 PM »

The genre is still limping along, quoting monty python and the holy grail: "I'm not dead! I'm getting better"

Pak-man, have you played the Longest Journey and Dreamfall, its sequal (which was released last year)? or Syberia 1 and 2?

Offline Argo-Puppy

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2007, 01:17:45 PM »
King's Quest
Definitely King's Quest and the Ultima series! I never could beat any of them but I loved playing them.

I also liked Echo the Dolphin, from Sega.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2007, 01:25:50 PM »

The genre is still limping along, quoting monty python and the holy grail: "I'm not dead! I'm getting better"

Pak-man, have you played the Longest Journey and Dreamfall, its sequal (which was released last year)? or Syberia 1 and 2?
I ignored the Longest Journey when it was out in stores because I didn't know it was an adventure game. Now Dreamfall's out, but I wanna play Longest Journey first and I can't find it anywhere. I suppose I could just get it online, but then there's no hunt. :^)

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2007, 01:56:23 PM »
I ignored the Longest Journey when it was out in stores because I didn't know it was an adventure game. Now Dreamfall's out, but I wanna play Longest Journey first and I can't find it anywhere. I suppose I could just get it online, but then there's no hunt. :^)

I'd just go ahead and get it online. It actually was still lingering in many game stores for a long, long time, but just recently (well, I'll say within the last year) it finally stopped showing up and I don't see it in stores anymore.

The game lives up to it's name though, it's long, but very good. lots and lots of dialong, lots of beautiful scenery (even today it still looks good, despite being released in 1999), and the soundtrack is superb as well. As a matter of trivia, there was a 4 CD version originally of The Longest Journey, but now there's a 2 CD version. They must've suddenly gotten a much better compression program or something. :P

Dreamfall kinda pissed me off, being 6 CDs and while they had a DVD version, I've yet to see it in any stores, and it's not even for sale directly from Funcom. I'm wondering if the DVD version only went to select markets. Australia being one I believe. It just makes no sense to me to use 6 CDs, when the game requres a 128MB graphics card to even play. You'd think anyone that has that kind of graphics card is bound to have a DVD drive by now as well. They pushed the graphics hardware requirement up that high for adventure games, but not the optical media medium. It's just silly if you ask me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:59:52 PM by Jinto »

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2007, 04:47:50 PM »
Right off the top of my head, I'd say that Zombies Ate My Neighbors(SNES) is a guilty pleasure of mine. (though the sequel was extremely dissappointing to me).  and Godzilla King of the Monsters(?) for the NES.  Batman for the NES wasn't too bad,(and in it's favor, probably one of the few Batman games not adapted from a movie)  I absolutely  loved Batman Returns, basically a Final Fight in a cape and cowl.  Batman Forever was like Street Fighter: The Movie game graphics wise. It seemed like they were trying to combine an rpg with a tournament fighter and an adventure game all in one .  I love Rise of Sin-Tzu  Except for one thing, I mean I know he's the final boss and all but this guy was just too fast and too strong.  It was almost as thought the developres wanted you to use the cheat codes.(which I was never able to pull off)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »
how come ET never had a sequal ;)

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2007, 04:51:03 PM »
They called it Raiders of the Lost Ark...

On quasi-related note, I remember playing a demo for the X-Box, I think it was called Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb.  It seemed pretty involved. Since I never had the scratch to get an X-Box, I wonder, did it get made , and if so how was it in comparison to the demo?

Oh and I thought I'd mention this anyway, though most of you are alredy aware of OCRemix?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 05:00:09 PM by Thom_Serveaux »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »
Batman for the NES was a tie-in for the first Batman movie, actually. Didn't follow the movie too closely, mind you, but it was advertised as an adaptation of the first movie. :^)