login

Author Topic: Dead Games That Should Have Lived  (Read 12802 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1796
Re: Dead Games That Should Have Lived
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 05:59:53 PM »
History has taught us that sometimes a game is best left as it is. Earthworm Jim 3D was atrocious, and the Sonic games Adventure onwards are absolutely dire for example.

Well I sure hope the new sonic for the wii will change that.  Either that, or I'm down 50 bucks. 

Playing the the old games that you love is not the same as playing the game for the first time.  It's no longer new.  You know how to beat every boss in every level because you've done it countless times.  I can understand the desire for games that have gone down hill to be brought back.  And even if a company has messed it up quite a few times, there's still hopes that they can get it right again under some new management.  Look at Batman Begins for example. 

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 07:01:11 PM »
History has taught us that sometimes a game is best left as it is. Earthworm Jim 3D

Ive never heard and or played EJ 3d.  there was a rumor it was in the works but as far as i know it got scrapped

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3934
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 07:13:48 PM »
Oh it came out on the N64. Unfortunately the company that aquired the rights took creative control from the original team and the game ended up much, much less than it could have been.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 07:15:59 PM »
yeah your right heres what i found,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthworm_Jim_3D

i still say id like another earthworm jim, a good funny dark one like the first or even the second.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3934
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 07:18:59 PM »
I still have my copy of EWJ 3D and keep it as a kind of collector's item. I may even get around to beating it some day. :^)

• Compsognathus
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 07:27:48 PM »
supposedly you can play as the last boss  ooooooh  aaaaaaaah

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 08:20:28 PM »
I was always into Battletoads. I want more Battletoads, preferably without the Double Dragon guys.

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 09:25:32 PM »
There was supposed to be a graphical adventure game that was supposed to come out between warcraft 2 and warcraft 3. It was supposed to portray the story of Thrall raising up from slave raised by humans to leader of the new horde, but it was scrapped.

wait I found it on Wiki, it was called Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_Adventures:_Lord_of_the_Clans
I really do like pie.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 09:49:01 PM »
Well thats an easy question:
RBI Baseball
I miss this game so much, I've even thought of importing dreamcast games that copy the RBI baseball style but I doubt they would work on my American system... (Sigh) ... also don't bother pointing out the crappy sequels that used skinny ball players, most RBI Baseball fans like to pretend those don't exist  :P

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 10:05:39 PM »
I miss the Tex Murphy games. I wish those, and many other adventure games through the years, would get their stories written in book form, so that I could buy them and read them anytime, because that would last a lot longer than the hardware required to play those games. Even with emulators, the electronic forms are bound to disappear long before a book would. A book wouldn't have the visual element of course, but I treasure the stories enough to want them preserved in written form.

These days I get my hard-luck-case private-eye-like theme stories from the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. Good stuff, despite the missing radiation and mutant acquaintances.

Offline Trilaan

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 01:02:20 AM »
I miss the Tex Murphy games. I wish those, and many other adventure games through the years, would get their stories written in book form

Actually, the Tex Murphy games Under A Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive ARE in book form.  But they're extremely hard to locate.  They're a little different from the game versions but still very good.

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 01:21:18 AM »
I miss the Tex Murphy games. I wish those, and many other adventure games through the years, would get their stories written in book form

Actually, the Tex Murphy games Under A Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive ARE in book form.  But they're extremely hard to locate.  They're a little different from the game versions but still very good.

ACK! How did I miss that all these years?! Man that sucks.

You know what I've also wondered for a long time tho? Why is it that Hollywood picks games with little to no story, just flimsy premises, to make movies out of, and not adventure games with full fledge stories to work with? OK, fine I know the answer, cause the others are more popular. That doesn't make them any less stupid though. :P   I want a movie based on Syberia I and 2, The Longest Journey 1 & 2, Grim Fandago, etc etc etc.  Oh, and of course I want those as books too... *keeps on dreaming*

Offline Trilaan

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 05:00:07 AM »
I'm gonna surprise you some more.  There was a Pandora Directive movie script floating around a few years back.  It was titled A Black Sun Ascending.  Unfortunately if wasn't picked up.  But I hear it's still out there.

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 11:06:54 AM »
A Black Sun Ascending, huh? Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Black Sun Rising is better, but that's the title of a pretty good Fantasy (some would say Sci-Fi) title by C.S. Friedman. I wonder why they'd name it something other than 'The Pandora Directive' anyway? Drat. So close though... so close! We almost had a classic movie, and probably excellent riff material too. That could have been a trifecta of excellence. A great game, a movie based on the game, then a riff of the movie based on the game.

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 11:13:26 AM »
The System Shock games would be ultra-keen in today's hardware. There is one upcoming (Bioshock or something) and hopefully it lives up to the System Shock games legacy. Some of the original devs are involved somehow.
And yes, it would be SO great if they would start rolling out some of the old fashioned Lucasarts SCUMM engine type games again. DoTT was the best adventure game ever!
Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.