Author Topic: The 3D TV experience: Now being discussed in 2D!!  (Read 15432 times)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: The 3D TV experience: Now being discussed in 2D!!
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2013, 07:16:45 PM »
Glad I got Pacific Rim in 3D, it is very well done, good realistic 3D almost all of the time.  The extra time they spent on the conversion really paid off.

Very fun movie, this is how you do big stupid monster movies, very few moments where you are not fully drawn in, so not enough time for your brain to analyze it too much.  Even the cliches worked...

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2014, 06:36:23 PM »
The Blu-Ray 3D review of Gravity over at The Digital Bits has some high praise for the 3D, I hope to confirm or deny that sometime soon.   Most of the complaints I've been seeing have to do with wide shots not having enough depth, but that might just be complaining about something that is natural.  Human eyes really don't have much depth perception between stuff 10 miles away and 100 miles away.  That's a pretty long triangulation with a base of only a few inches.  ;D  If anyone's ever been to the Grand Canyon you get the sense of this, there's a good sense of depth looking down about a mile, but looking across to the far rim at 10, 20, 40 miles you can't judge those distances very well.

Also picked up Despicable Me 2 ages ago and haven't watched that yet either...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:50:56 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2014, 07:45:13 PM »
I'll be interested to hear what you think of Gravity 3D.  Blu-ray.com's reviewer was also giving high praise for it.  A quote of the introduction to the review:
It began with a simple image: an astronaut, topping end over end, adrift in space. Over the next four years, that image evolved into Gravity: a breathtaking cinematic marvel, a stunning technical achievement and an incredibly powerful human drama worthy of winning every one of the ten Academy Awards for which it's nominated. Director Alfonso Cuarón (Y Tu Mamá También, Children of Men) has crafted a masterpiece so engrossing, so involving, so suspenseful, so intensely terrifying, so utterly overwhelming that it's difficult to call it a film when the word "experience" is so much more fitting. You'll forget to blink. Forget to breathe. To move. Your hands will clench. Your heart will pound. The hair on the back of your neck will bristle. Your mouth will go dry. Your eyes will water; first from opening so wide, later with tears. And then, as it all ends, comes what can only be described as a complete and total cinematic catharsis. Gravity is unlike anything I've ever seen. An exercise in grandiose minimalism. A jaw-dropping spectacle rife with restraint. A gorgeous assault on the senses that revels in silence and darkness. A film so real, so transcendent, so poignant that it becomes something infinitely more remarkable than the standard Hollywood-grade entertainment it could have been.

It also has a rarity there: for story, 3D, overall picture, and sound it gets a full 5 stars.  Only for extras does it drop to 4.  I can't recall another film there that I've seen get that kind of rave.  [With that write-up and the 'numbers', I was on the verge of blind buying it myself... but the "suspenseful, so intensely terrifying" doesn't sound like it would bode well for me with my PTSD and intensified reactions to emotional material since TBI#3.]

[I'f I'd been up to it, I would have given my reviews for the 6-10 3Ds I got between X-mas and my birthday, with 'Despicable Me 2' one of them (short form: I liked it, but not as much as the first).  But with the demands 3D places on my brain I haven't been able to watch any twice, and I don't fully trust my first viewing of any, given what my head's been doing the last few months.]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline FBX

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
Gravity is alright in 3d. Watched it last night. Could have used an epilogue as it's only a 90 minute movie.

I think the best part was really the sound quality. The 3d brings you in but the sound really sells the experience. The main menu for the 3d blu Ray wasn't well done. They have 2d scenes with a bottom bar that pops out of the screen with buttons on it, but the buttons on the bar are flat so it makes me wonder why they bothered making any of it "3d"

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2015, 08:22:43 PM »
Has anyone picked up the Doctor Who season 8 finale on 3D Blu-Ray?

Just wondering if it's worth it?

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2016, 10:21:07 AM »
The 3D is very good in The Martian.  It really does make a difference when they use 3D cameras, this is a movie that you really need realistic 3D.  The movie is pretty darn captivating and the 3D draws you in even more.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2017, 03:37:20 PM »
I finally got around to watching 3D Rarities

Some amazing stuff on the disc, and some boring stuff...

There was some amazing 3D animation done in the 1940s, I had no idea.

I also didn't know the polarized 3D was out there so long ago, so there is some color 3D that is pretty old.  There was a home 3D system that was polarized in 1952, so you could shoot 16mm color film with a Bolex camera with special adapter and then show it at home in 3D with an adapter for your projector, the system cost as much as a cheap car back then...