Author Topic: The 3D TV experience: Now being discussed in 2D!!  (Read 17423 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9928
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: The 3D TV experience: Now being discussed in 2D!!
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 11:33:21 AM »
Nah they were the cameras  :)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 11:23:27 PM »
After months of looking at different sets I finally got around to upgrading my 32" HDTV.

Went a little over budget and got a 46" 3D LED (samsung 6400 series).  It looked so small in the store next to the others on the wall (there was a 70" at the other end), got it home and man is it big....

Big improvement in black levels over the 6 year old 32" set.

It didn't come with 3D glasses so can't comment on how that works, trying to decide if I want to upgrade my DVD player now to a 3D one or wait (my current player isn't that old).   At least the TV is ready for when I do upgrade the BD player, I would have kicked myself next year if suddenly there was a bunch of good stuff out in 3D, so basically I spent an extra $250 now to avoid wanting to upgrade again next year....

I will probably pick up a pair of glasses on amazon just to try out the 2D>3D conversion the TV does.

Oh, and in the store they had Avatar playing on their 3D demo unit, certainly didn't look as deep as it did in the theater, so screen size probably makes a big difference there, or it was the bright lighting of the store.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 11:38:44 PM »
Oh, and in the store they had Avatar playing on their 3D demo unit, certainly didn't look as deep as it did in the theater, so screen size probably makes a big difference there, or it was the bright lighting of the store.

Samsung is apparently using RealD technology in their TVs from here on out.  From what I understand, RealD is designed to look decent no matter where you sit in the theater (or at home), but in order to achieve that, I think the RealD loses some of the 'Wow' factor that less accommodating 3D technologies can deliver.  The last three movies I saw in the theater were all RealD movies, and Thor in particular looked really flat in places...several backgrounds looked like paintings.  Yet, a friend saw it in IMax and thought it looked absolutely amazing.  Since I didn't see it in IMax, I can't comment, but the only RealD movie I thought looked decent was Kung Fu Panda 2, and that may have been simply because of the digital source material.

I did see a Samsung set demo in Best Buy, and some areas of it looked just as 'flat' as the theater stuff, so it really could be that RealD loses some luster as a trade-off to making it look good from multiple directions.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 08:56:06 AM »
Cool on the upgrade.

I haven't seen a 3D movie in the theater since the '90s. So can't comment.

Saw Thor in 3D and it did not add anything.   The stuff that was in 3D was more gimicky than anything else.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 10:05:28 AM »

Samsung is apparently using RealD technology in their TVs from here on out.  From what I understand, RealD is designed to look decent no matter where you sit in the theater (or at home), but in order to achieve that, I think the RealD loses some of the 'Wow' factor that less accommodating 3D technologies can deliver.  The last three movies I saw in the theater were all RealD movies, and Thor in particular looked really flat in places...several backgrounds looked like paintings.  Yet, a friend saw it in IMax and thought it looked absolutely amazing.  Since I didn't see it in IMax, I can't comment, but the only RealD movie I thought looked decent was Kung Fu Panda 2, and that may have been simply because of the digital source material.

I did see a Samsung set demo in Best Buy, and some areas of it looked just as 'flat' as the theater stuff, so it really could be that RealD loses some luster as a trade-off to making it look good from multiple directions.

I did see Avatar at an Imax theater so that's probably the difference.

Amazing how little energy the LED TV uses, my 6 year old 32" set you could feel the heat radiating from the screen, this 46" side lit LED one takes an hour before you can feel the side edges getting a little warm...

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 12:56:31 PM »
I know what you mean--my new laptop has an LED screen and it's fantastic.  My next TV will definitely be LED.

I haven't hooked up my amp meter to the new one yet but going by the heat generated the 46" LED must be using 1/3  the power of the old 32" fluorescent tube one.  I recently replaced a 20W halogen desk lamp with a 3W LED one, and the LED is brighter...

Edit: just checked the power usage, it uses just about half the power of the 32" set (fluctuates up and down due to the power saving features), and it's almost exactly 2X the viewing area (900 vs. 430 square inches).

Ran a temporary cat5 cable between rooms to my router to test out the internet stuff, the appleTV still wins as having the best Netflix interface....  So I don't think I'll be getting the wi-fi adapter for the TV.

Looks like the best buy near me has the 3D glasses that work with my set for $50, might head out tonight to pick that up, I'm really curious what the 2D>3D conversion looks like.  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:42:33 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 10:35:47 AM »
I picked up a pair of 3D glasses at best buy over the weekend.  The bluetooth glasses samsung now uses are super light.

Been trying out the 2D>3D conversion the TV does but it really doesn't add much depth most of the time.  There has to be just the right movement in the scene to get some depth to the image.

I did download some of the 3D trailers and other stuff I could find that's out there for the PC Nvidia 3D, put them on a USB drive to play on the TV and those looked fantastic.  After seeing those I may upgrade my Blu-Ray player sooner than later.

Danecho1967

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »
I know what you mean--my new laptop has an LED screen and it's fantastic.  My next TV will definitely be LED.
I agree.  I purchased an LED HDTV recently and it was superior in every measure to the LCD (same size and manufacturer) that was displayed next to it.  Colors were brighter, darks were darker...  It's the best TV I've ever purchased, and I've purchased several.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »
 I went and order a 3D blu-ray player, after watching more clips and trailers I was able to download I've got the 3D bug.... 

Now the trouble is some of the movies I want are exclusives that are bundled with hardware....  I ordered a Panasonic player so will get the Avatar 3D disk in the mail someday, but a few others I guess I'll have to wait until next year when the exclusive deals run out.

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 187
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 10:56:08 PM »
It sucks that they keep making exclusives.  I thought it was just gonna be the first batch of 3D tvs, but they keep on bundling them with different glasses.  It was just announced that the third Narnia movie will be a 3D blu-ray exclusive for Sony's newest bundle.  I'm surprised there are still ones that aren't even available anymore, like "Ice Age 3" and "Monsters vs. Aliens".

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 08:11:21 AM »
It sucks that they keep making exclusives.  I thought it was just gonna be the first batch of 3D tvs, but they keep on bundling them with different glasses.  It was just announced that the third Narnia movie will be a 3D blu-ray exclusive for Sony's newest bundle.  I'm surprised there are still ones that aren't even available anymore, like "Ice Age 3" and "Monsters vs. Aliens".

That stinks, the 3D trailer for that looked great.   

Making stuff exclusive at this point is really stupid, so if you already bought a sony system and have the glasses you've got to go out and buy more glasses to get a new movie?  That would just make me mad at a brand I already bought.... 

And the mail in rebate thing for all these deals, just so they can reject those that don't do everything just right (you didn't cut the UPC code straight, no movie for you!)...  Samsung has a glasses kit that features Megamind on the box, but it has discs of Shrek in the box and you have to send in for Megamind, if the price comes down a bit more on that I might get it, to have more glasses and to get the movies...

Just shows how small the sales are, the studios must be getting more money in these deals than they would from open release.  The prices are not helping either.  After all the format wars and format changes they still haven't learned, they make the most money when the discs are cheap and everyone can afford them.

Offline stansimpson

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2011, 09:42:07 AM »
And the mail in rebate thing for all these deals, just so they can reject those that don't do everything just right (you didn't cut the UPC code straight, no movie for you!)...  Samsung has a glasses kit that features Megamind on the box, but it has discs of Shrek in the box and you have to send in for Megamind, if the price comes down a bit more on that I might get it, to have more glasses and to get the movies...
Shrek 4 is also a mail-in rebate.  You only get 3 Shrek movies in that package.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 12:12:27 AM »
Got my 3D blu-ray player hooked up, glad I got the cheapest "high speed" HDMI cable Amazon had since it was a waste of money, I hooked it up with the 3 year old cable first and that worked just fine.  So I think this "high speed" thing is a myth unless you are running really long HDMI cables (or incredibly cheap shorter ones).  I should try the 15 foot ones I got on Woot! for $3 or $4 each and see if they work...

I picked up the 2 cheapest 3D discs I saw, The Universe 7 wonders of the solar system and IMAX Grand Canyon Adventures: river at risk.

I had the 2D version of the Grand Canyon one before, the dialog and music are a bit much to take, but the photography is great, and it looks really amazing in 3D.  I took one of those flying tours of the canyon once and this was as close as you can get to being there....

The 7 Wonders disc was OK, 95% computer generated (on a history channel budget) stuff, the NASA real 3D videos of the sun were pretty cool, and the flying around the asteroid belt and through Saturn's rings were also cool.  The rest was not all that cool to look at, I've seen 2D stuff that was way more impressive.

Love how the mail in form for the Avatar 3D disc says 8 to 14 weeks...

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »
Got my Avatar 3D disk from Panasonic. 

I wish it had looked this good in the theater, the 3D is really impressive, and it retains the color and detail of the theatrical BD release (the 3D disc is the theatrical cut).  I've watched this with the rifftrax so many times I don't need to play the track anymore, all the jokes just pop into my head now...  The taco salad bowl displays are so much more cool looking in 3D, looking very salad bowlish.  ;D

Got the IMAX "Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs" 3D, pretty cool views of all the ancient Egyptian stuff, this one is the best of the $10 3D IMAX movies at Amazon.

Wild Ocean is another $10 one and is pretty terrible, practically the same shots of dolphins and sharks in the water over and over in murky water so the 3D effect is not good, also for a movie called "Wild Ocean" it seems like more than half of it is shot on land.....  One or 2 good 3D shots of a ball of sardines trying to evade various predators and that's about it.

Offline stansimpson

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 09:53:42 PM »
I'm not sure how but I one day want to see "Avatar" on a 3D tv. The demos look spectacular.