login

Author Topic: The 3D TV experience: Now being discussed in 2D!!  (Read 17424 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: The 3D TV experience: Now being discussed in 2D!!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 05:29:39 PM »
I just noticed that The Final Destination 3D has been added to HBO 3D On Demand, so I will be checking that out later this week.  I don't think that one has been released on Blu Ray 3D.

And for some reason, I can access Starz 3D On Demand, even though I don't subscribe to Starz.  So I will try to check out the two movies on there that I haven't seen in 3D (Alice In Wonderland and G-Force).

For the record, the Blu Ray 3D titles that I own are - A Christmas Carol, Despicable Me, Monster House, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, and My Bloody Valentine.  A Christmas Carol and Despicable Me are both fantastic in 3D.
How is the 3D on Monster House? I absolutely love that movie, and really wish I had gone to see it in 3D in the theater.

Oh, and:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RQgkBdNwqB0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RQgkBdNwqB0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US</a>
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

MontyServo

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »
How is the 3D on Monster House? I absolutely love that movie, and really wish I had gone to see it in 3D in the theater.

I have only watched a few moments of it so far.  (Got it and Cloudy as a gift and haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the whole movie.)  I did see this in 3D in the theater though and what i have sampled so far looks comparable.  I loved Monster House when I first saw it.  Maybe i will do this as a double feature with The Final Destination 3D later this week?  I will definitely post my thoughts on them both.

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 187
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »
THANK you, Monty (and RVR), for being the only ones to respond to my original post without derailing it with 3D vs. 2D discussions (but I see the title is more broad than I realized... oh well).  Look forward to hearing your thoughts, Monty.

I have a BUTTLOAD of things to say right now, but dinner's getting cold just so I'll tease with this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9928
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 07:09:32 PM »
Um

Offline stansimpson

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 09:39:34 PM »
Didn't mean to sound dick-ish, Imrahil.  I started this thread to get away from the 3D vs. 2D arguing to focus more on 3D content instead, so I was caught off guard.  Like I said, I realized later the thread's title gave room for that still... so, my bad.  Also, I was pretty hungry.   ;D

Speaking of which... sorry, Tripe.  I was typing and thinking about how both you and RVR are both mods and both have 3 names which means you both are obviously assassins.

Per my last post:  Today, I decided to try out the 2D-to-3D conversion on our store's best 3D tv.  I actually got giddy.  True 3D can extend pretty far, but simulated 3D starts with the screen and creates depth to everything behind it.  From what I saw today tho, it gets closer than expected!  It still can be flat by comparison, but it's amazing to think you can watch a 30 year old movie in 3D at the push of a button.  I don't know how the technology works but I can tell you it does work surprisingly well.  Esp considering it hit every curveball I tried to throw at it (more on that later).

I knew it was gonna be a slow day, so I brought about 8 dvds with me to test.  The results were... astonishing.  Here's a quick break-down of what I tested (spoiler'd for length [insert dirty joke here]):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now here's something fun you can do at home!  I mean--near where you live.

1.) Grab 1, 2, maybe 3 of your favorite PG or "mild" PG-13 dvds/blu-rays. 
2.) Go to your local Best Buy when it's slow (this is typically Mondays and Tuesdays).
3.) Tell the home theater rep that you brought some movies with you because you'd like to see a demo of the 2D-to-3D conversion
4.) Ask for their best 3D display, which should be Panasonic's. This should already have 3D glasses ready for demo.  He will not want to get out the non-demo ones for you... unless he's reeeally bored.
5.) If he says he can't because the blu-ray player is locked, ask him to unlock it.  If he doesn't know how, make him feel like an idiot.  He should know (because if you wanted to buy that player, he should be able to tell you how it works).
6.) Lastly, enjoy!   Or... y'know, not.  At least it should be an interesting experience.   ;D

Retail price of our best in-store tv:  $1,249 for a 50".  That's so cheap, you'll be able to afford the 3D glasses!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:53:58 PM by stansimpson »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 04:31:35 AM »
Speaking of which... sorry, Tripe.  I was typing and thinking about how both you and RVR are both mods and both have 3 names which means you both are obviously assassins.
The syndicate doesn't take to kindly to people pointing things like that out...

Back to something I said earlier I'm intrigued how something so compact can achieve the 3D effect considering the complexity of doing it in a big movie. Not saying it can't , I assume it does it, but I'm interested in how it does it and how well. :)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 09:01:05 AM »
Back to something I said earlier I'm intrigued how something so compact can achieve the 3D effect considering the complexity of doing it in a big movie. Not saying it can't , I assume it does it, but I'm interested in how it does it and how well. :)

There's nothing complex about taking 3D images.  I do it sometimes with still photography by moving the camera a few inches to one side and taking a second shot.  See this page I made a long time ago when I got one of my first digital cameras:
 http://www.science.widener.edu/~schultz/stereo/stereo.html

The current standard for digital 3D video is simply alternating frames of the left and right images, so all you need to do is build a lens system that has some mirrors to get you 2 images a few inches apart and separate shutters for each one so you can alternate capturing the right and left images into the video stream.

So it's easy to capture live action in 3D.  Generating 3D images on the computer is easy also since you just program X,Y,Z positions for everything in your model, then all you need to do is render the image, rotate the model a tiny bit and render another image, that gets you your right and left images for each scene.  Adding computer generated 3D effects to live action 3D is where it gets complicated, you have to know the accurate position(s) of everything in the live action shot in order to program the computer to generate the 3D models that match up.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
No, not the process in general, the way it's done for a film, logistically. :)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
No, not the process in general, the way it's done for a film, logistically. :)

The process is the same no matter what the medium, you capture or generate separate right and left images.  Before digital 3D film cameras had side by side lenses and 2 reels of film shot simultaneously.

Logistically?  How it's distributed?  For film they make 2 prints of the movie, a right eye one and a left eye one, and they get projected simultaneously using filters that match the glasses you wear so each eye only sees the image made for that eye.

Since you can't show 2 images simultaneously on a standard HDTV the key to doing it is fast frame rate, film is usually 24 frames a second, current 3D TV is 120 frames per second, alternating the right and left images each eye is seeing 60 frames a second, so each eye is seeing more frames on the TV than it does in a theater.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 11:26:43 AM »
Nope, how they have to atrange the seperste cameras for each scene, that's what I mean by logistically.  :)

Offline stansimpson

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »
Nope, how they have to atrange the seperste cameras for each scene, that's what I mean by logistically.  :)
Do you mean to "arrange the separate cameras"?  It's one camera with two side-by-side lenses:

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 08:00:23 PM »
Eh I've seen them using multiple units.  Like I say it doesn't work for me so it's possible I'm not grasping why they were doing that. :)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
Do you mean to "arrange the separate cameras"?  It's one camera with two side-by-side lenses:

Ahhh! What did they do to Johnny 5?!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3808
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 09:17:50 AM »

Ahhh! What did they do to Johnny 5?!

Trash compactors are harsh mistresses.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »
Eh I've seen them using multiple units.  Like I say it doesn't work for me so it's possible I'm not grasping why they were doing that. :)

That was probably to get different angles on the same scene, like you would with 2 people talking to get face shots of each of them, for 2D you just do multiple takes and move the camera.  Since it's hard to get actors to move exactly the same on multiple takes, if there is 3D CGI stuff being added later you need to get all your angle shots done simultaneously.

Or some of the "units" you saw were the position capture devices.  Like I mentioned before to blend 3D CGI with live action you need to know where everything in the live action shot is for each frame.  They use devices that map the position of everything to a computer file that is time synced with the live action shot, so you've got x,y,z positions of everything shot live, then they use that data to computer model the 3D effects around the stuff in the live shot.