Author Topic: The 3D TV experience: Now being discussed in 2D!!  (Read 17419 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 187
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
The 3D TV experience: Now being discussed in 2D!!
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
I'm fascinated by the whole 3D thing (or fad as it is better known).  I'm trying to recommend the best content to people with 3D tvs. Just hoping to start a discussion about it so I have a better understanding of what's out there so I can tell adopters what to get and what to stay away from.

First off, let's all agree that "Avatar" on 3D blu-ray is the best reference material out there.  But what else is good?  What titles have great 3D content despite the quality of the movie?  Based on reviews, it seems "Despicable Me" and "Tangled" are the best readily available titles that combine quality movies with great 3D effects.

Also, I hope to eventually discuss this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:09:54 PM by stansimpson »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9928
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: The 3D TV experience: Now being discussed in 2D!!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:40:12 AM »
I'm interested in the topic despite not being able to really experience it. But I'm especially interested in the thing you spoilered  :)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:11:44 AM »
Now i don't mind watching a 3D movie once in a while. I mean I enjoyed seeing the Toy Story movies in 3D and I had fun with Avatar but I sure hope 3D doesn't become the only way to watch TV.

Here is why.

1)I know people who's get headaches when they try to watch 3D.

2)I have seen 3D movies and about half a dozen 3D Tvs and I don't think the 3D on TVs look as good,i think it may have something to do with living rooms and electronic stores not being able to go completely dark.

3)I have no wish to put on a pair of glasses every time I watch TV.  I mean once in a while for a couple of house is fine but every time I want to watch a football game or an episode of House or Doctor Who,no way.

4)I don't think 3D adds much to the type of things that are shown on TV.  Action movies and animation go well with 3D but I really don't see it adding a whole lot to say House or a Baseball game.  I mean most shows are about character interactions and people talking until they find a way to solve the problem of the week so i don't see 3D adding a whole lot to long scenes of dialog and I am afraid shows would stop focusing on the characters and would just become on 3D shot right after another.  As for sports well 3D doesn't add picture detail(in fact I believe it takes a little away),and right now in 2D we can already see everything that happens in the game so i don't see how it helps there.  Also sports games tend to run too long for me to even think about wearing the glasses every time i want to watch them.

5)I don't want to see bad conversions of old TV shows to 3D.  Hey remember Clash of the Titans?  Now imagine that only done to fifty year old film like Star Trek,Andy Griffith,and Cheers.

Now don't get me wrong I think 3D when used right can been a good tool,like CGI it's how it's used that makes it good or bad and I can't blame people for being excited by it.  the above are the reason why I hope it never becomes the only way to watch TV and I think it is better suited for the movies.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:55:48 AM »
My only experience with it was a demo model at Best Buy, which I thought looked like a view-master.  Yes, it was kind of 3D, but only in layers, not in the round.

Yeah that is what I noticed too.  I think 3D can only be done really well on a movie screen.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »
I haven't seen a movie in 3D since about 1990 so I can't speak for the theatrical experience.

So you are the person who didn't see Avatar!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:41:53 AM »
The last thing I saw in 3D was the Star Trek adventure show in Las Vegas about 5 years ago.   Other than that, it probably was GAF Viewmaster disks.

I have zero desire to wear glasses at home to watch a movie.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »
The last thing I saw in 3D was the Star Trek adventure show in Las Vegas about 5 years ago.   Other than that, it probably was GAF Viewmaster disks.

I have zero desire to wear glasses at home to watch a movie.

The good news on that front is that they have TV's now that show 3D without the need for glasses.  Much like the Nintendo 3DS.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Danecho1967

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:49:41 AM »
Even Avatar, which I will agree is the best 3D content out there to date, looked very "Viewmaster-ish" to me.  The sense of depth is created with layers, and there is no true roundness (actual three dimensionality) to it.

There is an additional reason why I'm not ready for 3D at home, and doubt that I will be.  I wear glasses and will not wear contacts.  I have seen two movies in 3D and finally decided after the second that trying to layer the 3D glasses and my prescription glasses so that I could see the screen was just too much of a bother for me.  So, I won't be purchasing a 3D TV any time soon, if ever.

Edit: Dalty posted as I was posting, apparently.  3D without glasses.  Interesting.  Still, seeing my movies in Viewmastervision doesn't really excite me enough to drop the money for a new set.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:53:16 AM by Danecho1967 »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Currently the 3D without glasses requires you to sit fairly still and has a narrow viewing angle, so good for a small device like the 3DS but not great for home theater.  I don't see how it could be done for a wider viewing angle but maybe they will figure out a way.

The stuff I've seen in Best Buy that was shot live (sports) looked pretty good, but since I've gotten rid of my extended cable channels I'm not going to go back to paying crazy monthly prices for some stuff I'll hardly ever watch.   So I would be limited to what's out on Blu-Ray and that isn't much.

I am looking to get a bigger HDTV in the next month (really want to watch the extended LOTR Blu-Rays on a bigger screen), so am torn between paying extra for a 3D ready one or not so if a lot more comes out on BD I'd be ready.  But I'm guessing it will take a few more years for enough content to come out to make it worth the extra cost, so will probably get a standard 2D set.

I've done the shutter glasses on the PC in the past, some games looked pretty good, I would think that has gotten better with faster refresh rates available now.  Much cheaper to upgrade a PC to 3D than the home theater system so I might go that route if I get curious about some of the 3D blu-rays that come out.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 01:59:16 PM »
Now I don't know if this is true of the nation as a whole but in my little corner of it,it's only in the past few years that most people have gotten an HDTV.  Those people don't really have the money to upgrade to a 3D TV.  i don't think 3D Tv will fail but I don't think we are going to see it replace 2D tv any time soon.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »
My first flatscreen monitor lasted about 20 months before dying. Hopefully first-gen HDTVs last a bit longer, otherwise people will be upgrading faster than they think.

My new laptop has an LED backlit screen, and that's nice.  Crisp, bright. I want that for my next TV.

Well my first HDTV(A 19 inch one for the bedroom)is five years old and it still runs good as new,the living room one is 3 years old and it runs perfectly too.  In fact i don't think i know anyone who has had an HDTV die so i would say they hold up pretty well.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 21
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 02:45:42 PM »
When ever i hear about 3D this and that, i always remember this little snippet:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RQgkBdNwqB0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RQgkBdNwqB0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US</a>

MontyServo

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 02:51:10 PM »
I don't think anyone is talking about all TV becoming 3D TV.  Just a few niche channels perhaps showing the occasional sporting event and whatever 3D movies are out there.

I see it as a way to get the theatrical experience at home.  While I wouldn't want to sit in front of the TV all day watching a bunch of 3D movies in a row, sitting through a movie is just fine.  The glasses don't bother me at all.

I will add to this thread later on this week with thoughts on the various 3D movies and shows I have watched at home and info about my setup.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 04:53:16 PM »
My first flatscreen monitor lasted about 20 months before dying. Hopefully first-gen HDTVs last a bit longer, otherwise people will be upgrading faster than they think.

My new laptop has an LED backlit screen, and that's nice.  Crisp, bright. I want that for my next TV.

Well my first HDTV(A 19 inch one for the bedroom)is five years old and it still runs good as new,the living room one is 3 years old and it runs perfectly too.  In fact i don't think i know anyone who has had an HDTV die so i would say they hold up pretty well.

Yea, I don't know anyone that has had an HDTV die on them (other than out of box failures).  I think mine is 6 years old now.  In fact in general the only LCD screens I've seen die are on seriously abused laptops.

I also will get an LED back-lit HDTV when I upgrade.

No one is talking about 3D becoming standard anytime soon, it will be a niche market for at least 10 more years.  Besides, do the over the air broadcast standards support 3D?  Those were set way before people started thinking about the current 3D standards. 

MontyServo

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 05:13:10 PM »
I just noticed that The Final Destination 3D has been added to HBO 3D On Demand, so I will be checking that out later this week.  I don't think that one has been released on Blu Ray 3D.

And for some reason, I can access Starz 3D On Demand, even though I don't subscribe to Starz.  So I will try to check out the two movies on there that I haven't seen in 3D (Alice In Wonderland and G-Force).

For the record, the Blu Ray 3D titles that I own are - A Christmas Carol, Despicable Me, Monster House, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, and My Bloody Valentine.  A Christmas Carol and Despicable Me are both fantastic in 3D.