login

Author Topic: LoC #47: Fictional Tools & Weapons  (Read 47615 times)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
Re: LoC #47: Fictional Tools & Weapons
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2011, 10:27:06 PM »
Sting- Lord of the Rings
(43 points) 3 of 12 lists -  Highest Ranking - #8 Tripe H. Redux

Sting was an Elvish long knife made in Gondolin during the First Age.

Sting was an ancient blade and was lost during the Fall of Gondolin, the same battle in which Turgon fell and Glamdring was taken. The blade was carried by Bilbo in The Hobbit, after he found it in a Troll-hoard. Sting was found alongside Glamdring and Orcrist. Though just a knife by the standard of elves, it made a perfect short sword for a Hobbit. A typical Gondolin weapon, it glowed blue whenever Orcs/Goblins were close by. It was christened Sting by the spiders of Mirkwood Forest, many of whom were "stung" by Bilbo with it.

Just before his nephew left on his quest to Mordor, Bilbo gave Sting to Frodo. Sam then took the weapon from his (seemingly dead) master and used it to good effect against Shelob on the borders of Mordor. After the defeat of Sauron at the end of the Third Age, Frodo entrusted Sting to Sam and it became an heirloom of the Gamgee family.

Gollum, who disliked anything made by the elves, was afraid of Sting. This fear aided Bilbo when he confronted Gollum in a cave at the base of the Misty Mountains in The Hobbit. It also helped Frodo and Sam subdue Gollum in The Lord of the Rings. Orcs also had an instinctive fear of these weapons and hated any who carried them.

As is fitting for a blade of Gondolin, Sting could easily cut through the webs of the offspring of Ungoliant, including the spiders of Mirkwood and the evil Shelob herself.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2011, 10:31:55 PM »
Poke Ball- Pokemon
(44 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #3 Asbestos Bill

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39:52 PM »
Bonus Entry: Silly Looking/Sounding Weapons/Tools
Train Wheels- The Island
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AAhZZpT6PE&feature=player_detailpage#t=46s  (Embedding was disabled so we'll have to settle for the link)

Normally this wouldn't count for this LoC under the guidelines, but it's Michael Bay. I don't think I have to explain further. Thanks to Mr.Katonic for bringing this to my attention.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2011, 01:44:50 AM »
Excalibur- Arthurian legends
(37 points) 3 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #12 Pak-Man

Now here's a classic.  I was hoping for a few more mythical weapons on this list, but at least this is here.

The Infinity Gauntlet- Marvel Comics
(38 points) 2 of 12 lists -  Highest Ranking - TIE: #7 Tyrant & Johnny Unusual

This is so much more convenient than the cosmic cube.  Do you really want to carry an all powerful cube around all day or wear your all powerful gauntlet.

Death Note- Death Note
(42 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #4 Johnny Unusual

Death Note is a fantastic series and a great weapon.  You get to decide how and even when the victim dies.

Poke Ball- Pokemon

If I had this, I would be capturing squirrels and crows all the time.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2011, 06:25:50 AM »
Poke Ball- Pokemon

If I had this, I would be capturing squirrels and crows all the time.

EXACTLY. As a kid, there was no item I wanted more than a pokeball, except maybe the hookshot. My brother got me a little pokeball with a tiny Squirtle in it for Christmas one year and I just stood around holding the thing for hours.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6580
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »
EXACTLY. As a kid, there was no item I wanted more than a pokeball, except maybe the hookshot. My brother got me a little pokeball with a tiny Squirtle in it for Christmas one year and I just stood around holding the thing for hours.
That image is both funny, and kinda sad. But I just know you tried to catch a possum with it at some point.

Excalibur is one of my few "non-useful" items on the list; it'd be neat on a wall I guess.
How is a sword non-useful?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2011, 09:41:07 AM »
Yes, swords are of obsolete usefulness, which amounts to the same thing as useless, and I'm speaking as somebody's who fences. :)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »
And then the movies had Spiderman firing organic webs from his wrists, which are the wrong parts he would be firing from if he were truly taking after a spider. If the movies had been more accurate, they would have been the greatest ever made.

I read this to my wife and we both laughed for about 10 minutes.  :)

I'll blow my own horn for once and confess that I also laughed for about 10 minutes after typing it.

Yes, swords are of obsolete usefulness, which amounts to the same thing as useless, and I'm speaking as somebody's who fences. :)

This reminds me of an incident a few years ago involving my (much) younger brother-in-law. He was in a situation requiring him to use a rotary dial phone and it went from being a useful tool to one of uselessness because he'd never used one before and had no idea how to dial out on it.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
Every now and again you read some weird story about someone fighting off a burglar or something with a sword, but those are news stories precisely because they're so weird and uncommon.  Hence, 'useless.'

I do want to get this at some point:

But I reckon I might end up on some sort of watch list. ;)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »
But I reckon I might end up on some sort of watch list.

Nah mailing list for other useless junk maybe but not a watchlist. 

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2011, 03:19:58 PM »
And then the movies had Spiderman firing organic webs from his wrists, which are the wrong parts he would be firing from if he were truly taking after a spider. If the movies had been more accurate, they would have been the greatest ever made.

I read this to my wife and we both laughed for about 10 minutes.  :)

Excalibur is one of my few "non-useful" items on the list; it'd be neat on a wall I guess.

It's useful if you want to rule England.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »
Nah, these days you need stout ankles and a love of elongated herding dogs.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2011, 03:48:56 PM »
Spiderman's Webshooters- Spiderman
(43 points) 3 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #7 Pak-Man

:D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2011, 07:18:31 PM »

Spiderman's Webshooters- Spiderman
(43 points) 3 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #7 Pak-Man

:D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Watch the episode of Venture Brothers where Dean takes a summer internship. They have a Spider-man with accurate web shooters..

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »
Megatron's Fusion Cannon- Transformers: Generation 1
(44 points) 2 of 12 lists -  Highest Ranking - #3 Tyrant

The Fusion Cannon is Megatron's ultimate weapon. It is attached to his right arm and is devastatingly powerful, as demonstrated by its sudden removal of Ironhide's head. It strikes fear into the sparks of both the Autobots and the Decepticons, for any who challenge it will surely fail.

Except Optimus Prime. Only he appears to be able to survive a shot from the fusion cannon*, considering how many times Megatron has shot Prime. Oh, and Starscream.

Presumably, this cannon is powered by some sort of nuclear fusion reaction. Sometimes Megatron has been able to link up extradimensionally to a black hole to augment this power, increasing it astronomically, and making him look real cool and space-rippy in the process.

*And not so much surviving as being killed and then being resurrected 10 minutes later.

Fun Fact: The deep percussive note at the beginning of the iconic fusion cannon sound effect (used throughout G1 and Animated) is an old "stock" sound used frequently in American animation, most notably within Hanna-Barbera's "Scooby Doo" where it was used to signify cast members or objects falling on the ground, running into walls, etc.