Author Topic: LoC #47: Fictional Tools & Weapons  (Read 46757 times)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3781
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: LoC #47: Fictional Tools & Weapons
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2011, 12:20:01 PM »
I didn't think about the Irken Pak (And I call myself Pak-Man) and I totally spaced on Ash's Chainsaw. I didn't think of Mr. Fusion either, which rocks as an entry. :^)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2011, 01:09:28 PM »
Mr.Fusion- Back to the Future 1 & 2
(32 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #2 Imrahil

Oh, never even thought of this.  I might of added it if it occurred to me.

Ash's Chainsaw Hand- Evil Dead II & Army of Darkness
(36 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #2 Cole Stratton

I'm starting to get worried.  I think that between this and the claws I think Cole is really looking to mess someone up.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 317
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
Ash's Chainsaw Hand- Evil Dead II & Army of Darkness
(36 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #2 Cole Stratton

I'm starting to get worried.  I think that between this and the claws I think Cole is really looking to mess someone up.

They are just cool weapons is all. I don't know why you'd be worried about me...
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1005
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2011, 03:34:09 PM »
Personally, I'm just amused at the randomness that this was also reviewed in that same episode of At the Movies.

And Cole? I'll be practicing my "He was always so quiet. We never expected him to snap like that" speech for you.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 317
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2011, 03:44:43 PM »
Personally, I'm just amused at the randomness that this was also reviewed in that same episode of At the Movies.

And Cole? I'll be practicing my "He was always so quiet. We never expected him to snap like that" speech for you.

The chainsaw and the Wolverine claws aren't the worrisome part of it all--it's the Disaronno I'm clutching that spells bad news...
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Watchman

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2011, 10:28:14 PM »
cronenberg makes some crazy guns doesnt he!

I also had Scanners' "Telepathic Head Exploding" further down my list.

they live is a amazing film.  glad someone though of it.

Also, this t-shirt rules:  http://www.fright-rags.com/obey-p-38.html.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »
Batarangs- Batman
(36 points) 3 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #11 Tyrant

A batarang is a roughly bat-shaped throwing weapon used by the DC Comics superhero Batman. The name is a portmanteau of bat and boomerang, and was originally spelled baterang. Although they are named after boomerangs, batarangs have become more like shuriken in recent interpretations. They have since become a staple of Batman's arsenal, appearing in every major Batman television and movie adaptation to date. Recent interpretations of the Dark Knight finds additional motivation to use the batarang as a ranged attack (alternative to firearms, which he rejects outright due to the circumstances of his parents' murder) and is used primarily to knock guns out of an opponent's hand.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »
Master Sword- The Legend of Zelda
(37 points) 3 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #5 lassieface

The Master Sword, also known as The Blade of Evil's Bane or as the Sword of Time, is a recurring sword in the Zelda series. Crafted by the ancient Sages, the Master Sword holds the power to repel evil, and it is usually the only sword that can defeat Ganon in the games it appears in. Ever since the Link from Ocarina of Time retrieved it from the Pedestal of Time and defeated Ganon with it, the Master Sword has become analogous with the legend of the Hero of Time. As such, this legendary weapon is considered to be the most recognized sword in the Zelda series, being displayed in title logos such as in A Link to the Past and appearing as Link's main weapon in other games like Soulcalibur II and the Super Smash Bros. series.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
Excalibur- Arthurian legends
(37 points) 3 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #12 Pak-Man

- Lord Tennyson

Excalibur is the legendary sword of King Arthur, sometimes attributed with magical powers or associated with the rightful sovereignty of Great Britain. Sometimes Excalibur and the Sword in the Stone (the proof of Arthur's lineage) are said to be the same weapon, but in most versions they are considered separate. The sword was associated with the Arthurian legend very early.

In many versions, Excalibur's blade was engraved with words on opposite sides.

In addition, when Excalibur was first drawn, in the first battle testing Arthur's sovereignty, its blade blinded his enemies. Thomas Malory writes: "thenne he drewe his swerd Excalibur, but it was so breyght in his enemyes eyen that it gaf light lyke thirty torchys."

Excalibur's scabbard was said to have powers of its own. Injuries from losses of blood, for example, would not kill the bearer. In some tellings, wounds received by one wearing the scabbard did not bleed at all. The scabbard is stolen by Morgan le Fay and thrown into a lake, never to be found again.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2011, 09:22:04 PM »
The Infinity Gauntlet- Marvel Comics
(38 points) 2 of 12 lists -  Highest Ranking - TIE: #7 Tyrant & Johnny Unusual

Thanos mounts the six Infinity Gems on his left glove to form the titular Infinity Gauntlet. Each Gem grants its bearer complete mastery over one aspect of the universe: Time, Space, Mind, Soul, Reality, and Power.

The Infinity Gauntlet made Thanos pretty much omnipotent. And stylish.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2011, 09:29:21 PM »
The Death Star Super Laser Cannon- Star Wars episodes 4 & 6
(39 points) 3 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #4 Tyrant

"Look at the size of that thing!"
                                                                                                                                                                      -Wedge Antilles

The first Death Star's superlaser had eight tributary beams arranged in a circle around the concave dish. The second Death Star's superlaser had nine tributary beams, eight arranged around the concave dish in an octagonal array encompassed by a circle and the other one in the middle. These tributary beams would then combine to form the main superlaser by the usage of an invisible forcefield in the shape of a cone. The eight tributary beams were themselves composed of eight smaller beams, which converged in one of the eight Superlaser Convergence Chambers, totaling 64 beam tubes.

Originally, the Death Star's superlaser could only fire at planets and required hours to recharge the superlaser. By the time the Death Star II was built, the superlaser was able to fire on large capital ships and required a much lower recharge time, a matter of minutes. The power source of the laser were special power crystals that the 501st Legion took from Mygeeto on the orders of Darth Sidious*.

*Translation: This sucker could blow up planets real good.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »
Bonus Entry: Silly Looking/Sounding Weapons/Tools
Master Shake's Straw

Beware the pink straw that fires pistachio milkshake.

More entries tomorrow! I'm also now accepting submissions for the next LoC.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2011, 09:59:54 PM »
Identity Disc- Tron
(42 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #4 Cole Stratton

Identity Discs (or Light Discs) are the most fundamental piece of equipment to programs in both the Game Grid and in the TRON system. They contain all that a program is, in the form of a detachable glowing disc normally worn on the upper back. Everything seen, heard, or otherwise experienced is recorded on the disc.

Digitized users have often been issued with an identity disc shortly after arrival inside the system. Although a human being is a far more complex entity than a basic program, they still appear to need the device during prolonged stays when digitized. The discs of users can perform all of the same operations as for programs.

Aside from its primary function as a receptacle of a digital entity's entire being, the identity disc is also a weapon. When energized they have a lethal cutting edge that can derezz an opponent instantly with a direct hit. This damaging capability can be applied in very close quarters where the disc can be used as a short bladed weapon, and also as a buckler shield.

The primary combat application however is as a thrown weapon. In this capacity the disc is hurled at a target, and may ricochet off unyielding surfaces, before returning directly to its owner. Skilled users can even curve a disc in a shallow arc to avoid striking things blocking the line of sight to a target beyond. The leading edge of an identity disc does nothing to harm its owner and can be readily caught, even when travelling at very high speeds.

The appearance of an identity disc is of a solid ring with a glowing inner edge. The color of the inner edge matches the circuitry color of its owner. The outer edge, when energized, becomes a brilliantly glowing nimbus of white light with a slight tint of the owner's circuitry color. Older identity discs in the Game Grid appeared as a solid disc of their owner's color, with several glowing concentric rings on the surface.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2011, 10:08:32 PM »
Death Note- Death Note
(42 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #4 Johnny Unusual

The Death Note is a supernatural notebook dropped onto Earth by the death god Ryuk. The Death Note grants its user the ability to kill anyone whose name & face they know, by writing the name in the notebook while picturing their face.

Fun Fact: Various provinces and cities in China banned Death Note when school students started making notebooks that looked like the fictional one and began writing names in it.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2011, 10:19:14 PM »
Spiderman's Webshooters- Spiderman
(43 points) 3 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #7 Pak-Man

Spider-Man's web-shooters were perhaps his most distinguishing trait, after his costume. Peter had reasoned that a spider (even a human one) needed a web. Since the radioactive spider-bite did not initially grant him the power to spin webs, he had instead found a way to produce them artificially. The wrist-mounted devices fire an adhesive "webbing"  through a threaded adjustable nozzle. The trigger rests high in the palm and requires a double tap from the middle two fingers to activate, eliminating the chance of accidental discharge when forming a fist. To accomplish this his hands are often in a distinctive hand position when he fires them (resembling the sign for "I love you" in American Sign Language, reverting someone giving you the "Evil Eye" in Italian superstition or the horned hand heavy-metal gesture). In order to fire the webbing, Spider-Man's fingers must hit the sensor precisely.

Spider-Man must steadily replenish his webbing supply, reloading his web-shooters with small cartridges of web fluid, which is stored under high pressure. In early stories, he carries his extra supplies in a utility belt worn under his costume. Later on, he equips the web-shooters with a bracelet-like carousel that automatically rotates a new cartridge into position as he empties them. When in use, a steel nipple in the carousel pierces the seal of the cartridge, and allows the fluid to travel through an air-tight channel toward the nozzle. Pressing down on the palm-trigger of the web-shooter causes the valve in the nozzle to open wider, expelling the fluid out. Releasing the trigger causes the valves to close, cutting off the web-line or fluid. If Spider-Man creates any variation to his normal web formula that's too strong for the pinch valves to sever, he might end up being tangled up or tied to the object he attached his web to. This has happened on more than one occasion. His web-shooters require constant maintenance and on more than one occasion suffer jams or malfunctions.

Spider-Man's web shooters require tremendous pressure to fire them (in most cases, Spider-Man's enhanced strength), and the average human cannot activate the trigger without the use of a hammer or similar object, although in many cases, normal human strength is sufficient enough to activate them for the purposes of plot development.

Occasionally, the web-shooters are modified to expel other liquids.

And then the movies had Spiderman firing organic webs from his wrists, which are the wrong parts he would be firing from if he were truly taking after a spider. If the movies had been more accurate, they would have been the greatest ever made.