Author Topic: LoC #47: Fictional Tools & Weapons  (Read 46066 times)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
Re: LoC #47: Fictional Tools & Weapons
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 09:26:05 PM »
Death's Scythe- Terry Pratchett's Discworld series
(29 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking- #1 Tyrant

Death's scythe is probably the sharpest object in existence. It is capable of slicing air, shadows and even time. Most importantly, it is designed to sever souls from their mortal shells. The blade is almost transparent, but glows blue thanks to the energy released by atoms splitting on its edge (thanks to the idiosyncrasies of Discworld physics, this does not cause the nuclear obliteration of a vast area).

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2011, 09:31:50 PM »
Wolverine's Claws- X-Men (Marvel Comics)
(30 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking- #1 Cole Stratton

Bone at their core, Wolverine's claws operate by resting in genetically devised trenches in the muscles of his forearms, behind the bend of the wrist while sheathed & locked while extended.

Wolverine's claws have often been considered a mystery in their functional nature. Discovered to be bone in Wolverine Vol 2. #75 (1993), the foot-long weapons housed in his forearms sit in trenches created by a series of linked muscles unlike anything in normal human physiology. Each individual claw is surrounded by a silicon sheath to maintain/prevent sepsis from foreign matter still residing on the claws when they retract. This silicon would also promote healing and regrowth of broken bone claws, were they not covered by the Adamantium bonding. The point of the claws rest just behind the bend of the wrist axis, allowing for freedom of joint movement, and the external, Adamantium part of the claw sheath (something that no longer exists in more recent Wolverine illustrations) contains an inert silicone bushing that acts as a resilient body seal.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »
Bag of Holding- Dungeons & Dragons
(30 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking- TIE: #11 Compound & Johnny Unusual

A bag of holding appears to be a common cloth sack of about 2 by 4 feet (0.61 by 1.2 m) in size. It opens into a nondimensional space (similar to magic satchel) or a pocket dimension, making the space larger inside than it is outside. Each bag always weighs the same amount, between 15 and 60 pounds (6.8 and 27 kg), regardless of what is put into it. It can store a combined weight of up to forty times its own weight, and a combined volume of 30 to 250 cubic feet (0.85 to 7.1 m3). A living creature put in a bag of holding will suffocate after about 10 minutes.

If a bag of holding is overloaded, or if a sharp object pierces it (from outside or inside), the bag will rupture and be ruined, the contents lost forever in "nilspace."

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2011, 09:46:30 PM »
Bonus Entry: Silly Looking/Sounding Weapons/Tools
Jango Fett's Seismic Charges

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d91D5rb3U9g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/d91D5rb3U9g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US</a>

Proof that something can sound both awesome and stupid at the same time.

As promised, I'll be posting five more entries in a while to catch up. I have a hot date with Pak first, so don't wait up.

Watchman

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2011, 11:51:52 PM »
As promised, I'll be posting five more entries in a while to catch up. I have a hot date with Pak first, so don't wait up.

Be safe, watch out for cargo trucks on the freeway that carry... well, you know what.

*CLANK CLANK CLANK*

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5613
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2011, 01:34:52 AM »
Mjolnir- Thor (Marvel Comics)
(25 points) 3 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #10 Compound

Personally, I was thinking of both the comic book and mythical version of Mjolnir, though admittedly, they don't all share the same exact qualities.  They do both smash in troll heads.

Wolverine's Claws- X-Men (Marvel Comics)
(30 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking- #1 Cole Stratton

Never thought of them.  Mostly because I thought of them as a body part.  Hmm... if I thought of that, I also would have included Hellboy's gauntlet.

Bag of Holding- Dungeons & Dragons
(30 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking- TIE: #11 Compound & Johnny Unusual

I would love to have this in real life.  I don't have a car and it would make shopping SO much easier.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:43:12 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2011, 03:04:52 AM »
Mr.Fusion- Back to the Future 1 & 2
(32 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #2 Imrahil

The Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor was the name of a power source used by the DeLorean time machine. The actual unit was manufactured by Fusion Industries.

Also known as the fusion generator, the Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor converted household waste to power the time machine's flux capacitor and time circuits using nuclear fusion. (It is thought that this is cold fusion.)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2011, 03:18:59 AM »
The Hand of Omega- Dr.Who
(34 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #7 Tripe H.Redux

In Remembrance of the Daleks the Seventh Doctor explains that the "Hand of Omega" is the mythical name for the remote stellar manipulator invented by Omega, the first of the Time Lords of the planet Gallifrey. Omega was a stellar engineer who used the Hand to create the supernova which would be the power source for the Gallifreyans' experiments and subsequent mastery over time travel. The attempt resulted in a supernova that apparently consumed Omega, but instead shunted him into an antimatter universe. The supernova subsequently collapsed into a black hole, the nucleus of which was harnessed by Omega's colleague Rassilon as the Eye of Harmony, and giving the Time Lords the power to live up to their name. In homage to Omega, and to live up to their apparent "infinite capacity for pretentiousness", the Time Lords dubbed the manipulator the "Hand of Omega".

The Hand resided in a casket that made it resemble a coffin. The casket had a dull, bronze appearance to it, but what material it was actually made from is unknown. Seemingly possessed of some basic intelligence, the Hand had the ability to levitate and follow simple orders.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2011, 03:23:22 AM »
The Good Samaritan- Hellboy
(36 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #5 Tripe H.Redux

The Samaritan is an over sized, uniquely large caliber four-round revolver. It fires its custom-made bullets with adequate power to easily penetrate virtually any material. The gun itself has unearthly resistance to almost all forms of attack, and includes grips carved from fragments of the True Cross. The metal of the gun is forged from a combination of Irish church bells, cold iron from crucifixes, blessed silver, and other mystic metals.

The Samaritan only holds four of its over sized rounds, and is difficult to load with the large fingers on the Right Hand of Doom. As a result, Hellboy usually tries to load with his left hand when possible.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2011, 03:29:35 AM »
Irken Pak- Invader Zim
(35 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #1 Invader Quirk

The Irken Pak is a wonder of technology. Each Irken Smeet has a pack surgically grafted to their spine seconds after they're hatched and the Pak both downloads the knowledge of all Irkens into each member of the race and stores all the personality and knowledge of each Irken to be added back into the collective. Each Pak is coded for a specific job - For example, Zim's Pak has been coded for food service since he was banished to Foodcourtia.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2011, 03:38:03 AM »
Ash's Chainsaw Hand- Evil Dead II & Army of Darkness
(36 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #2 Cole Stratton

Ash's Chainsaw is the main weapon of the protagonist Ash Williams, first being used to almost dismember Ash's possessed girlfriend Linda (Evil Dead), then being used for lopping off Ash's possessed hand and replacing the hand with the chainsaw itself (Evil Dead II), then at last being used to protect Ash from various demons and deadites in Army of Darkness.

The chainsaw is perhaps the most familiar feature in Ash's arsenal, aside from his "boomstick" (sawed off shotgun), and Ash himself. The chainsaw  has a unique (in the film anyway) trait to never run out of fuel, just as the boomstick never runs out of shotgun ammo.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »
Bonus Entry: Silly Looking/Sounding Weapons/Tools
Computerized People Seeking Bullets- Runaway

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZHNW757SYck?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZHNW757SYck?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US</a>

Whew! We're halfway through the list. The other half will go up starting Monday. I need the weekend to recoup. Feel free to debate/discuss until then.  :)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2011, 04:28:02 AM »
The Hand of Omega- Dr.Who
(34 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #7 Tripe H.Redux
Excellent,. proof that a the tool/weapon distinction is a very fine one.

The Good Samaritan- Hellboy
(36 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #5 Tripe H.Redux
Lovely

Didn't include the Death's Scythe but do have other Discworld things on my list.

Mr. Fusion's a good one too. :)

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2011, 09:46:51 AM »
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch- Monty Python & the Holy Grail
(27 points) 2 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #10 Pak-Man

Shouldn't that have been number five number three?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »
Mr. Fusion's a good one too. :)
I know it couldn't be used for the gasoline engine, but imagine it with electric cars now.  Or as a home electricity generator.
Absolutely, I'd totally be first-adopter about it if they made a working version. It's similar in that regard (and indeed the recycling angle) to something I did include on my list (and I'd not be surprised if you did as well). :)