login

Author Topic: LoC #47: Fictional Tools & Weapons  (Read 46771 times)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
LoC #47: Fictional Tools & Weapons
« on: April 25, 2011, 11:08:45 PM »

LoC #47: Fictional Tools & Weapons!!

Participants were asked to send  a list of your 25 Favorite weapons and/or tools. 12 ballots were received, and the items were ranked on a point system allowing 25 points for a #1 choice, 24 for a #2, and all the way down to 1 point for #25. The points were added up, and what follows are the selections.

Tiebreakers work like such: If two items have equal pointage, the item that appeared on the most lists ranks higher. If those items appeared on the same amount of lists, then the item ranked higher on the individual list got the higher spot. A weapon or tool that was someone's #4 beats another person's #6, for example. And then if the item was still tied, alphabetical order reigns supreme.

Now, without further delay, let's get to business........

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:09:01 AM by Tyrant »

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: LoC #47: Fictional Tools & Weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 11:09:58 PM »
based on your pic i saw utility belt took 1st

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 11:21:23 PM »

Overwatch Standard Issue Pulse Rifle -Half Life 2
(22 points) 1 of 12 lists- Highest ranking- #4 Asbestos Bill

The Overwatch Standard Issue Pulse Rifle (OSIPR), also known as Pulse Rifle or AR2, is a Dark Energy / pulse-powered assault rifle manufactured by the Combine.

The OSIPR is essentially a Combine variant of current assault rifles, commonly issued by Overwatch Soldiers and Overwatch Elites. It has a 30-round magazine, which is reloaded with an automatic mechanism built into the weapon. A Dark Energy Energy Ball shooter is built into it; the orb is capable of disintegrating almost anything it touches. On the body can be seen the alphanumerics "V952", also featured on other Combine devices.

The player first acquires the weapon at the end of Half-Life 2's sixth chapter, "We Don't Go To Ravenholm...", scavenged off of a dead soldier previously fighting stray Zombies coming out of Ravenholm. In Episode One, it can be found in a Combine supply room in the chapter Urban Flight. In Episode Two, it is found in a doorway in the chapter Freeman Pontifex, near a small overrun Combine outpost.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:30:56 PM »
Glitch - Reboot
(22 points) 1 of 12 lists- Highest ranking- #4 Doctor Who?

Glitch is a Key Tool from the Super Computer. It is blue and gray in color with a gold tool bar. Glitch is capable of becoming most objects, can project energy shields, and be used as a communication device. It can also hear its Guardian from great distances and can interface with other software, such as a system paint program.

Like all key tools, Glitch runs on stored energy and its battery must be recharged.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:42:55 PM »
DisembAudio - Rifftrax
(22 points) 1 of 12 lists- Highest ranking- #4 Compound

DisembAudio is a robot, often portrayed on the RiffTrax homepage as a robotic toaster. DisembAudio has a mechanical-sounding voice (unlike Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot) who will periodically through a RiffTrax commentary give a line that is said in the movie so that the viewer can either pause the commentary or the movie to allow the other to catch up. Occasionally, DisembAudio will interact with Michael J. Nelson and his co-riffers (if any) for comedic purposes.

At this time, the voice actor for DisembAudio is not known.

He also belts out a wicked rendition of My Heart Will Go On:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LO23EFLRboc?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LO23EFLRboc?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 11:52:44 PM »
Bone Gun /w/ Teeth Bullets - Existenz
(22 points) 1 of 12 lists- Highest Ranking- #4 Mr.Katonic

I couldn't find any actual entries for this weapon, other than finding out that it's exactly as described: A pistol made of mutant animal bones. Now that's what I call resourceful!

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 12:02:06 AM »
Shamble - Terry Pratchett's Discworld Series
(23 points) 1 of 12 lists- Highest Ranking- #3 Tripe H. Redux

A shamble (also called a shambles) is a handmade device used by witches to detect or amplify magic. It can even be used for protection or to send a spell. The device itself is not magical. Shambles are like spectacles, they help you see, but don't see for you. A conversant witch can assemble a shamble in a matter of seconds using stuff like strings, twigs, leaves, feathers, beads, coloured paper, an egg or even a beetle. The whole thing looks like a "cat's cradle", or some sort of nest made of rubbish. The ingredients are not really important, although the centre should contain a live ingredient (e.g. an egg or a beetle. On one desperate occasion, a Nac Mac Feegle has been employed as the living part of a shamble).

The magic lies in its assembly and use, which is to catch the moment. "The way you tie the knots," said Miss Level, who was a Research Witch, "the way the string runs - the freshness of the egg, perhaps, and the moisture in the air - the tension of the twigs and the kind of things that you just happen to have in your pocket at that moment - even the way the wind is blowing. All these things make a kind of... of picture of the here-and-now when you move them right."

The most effective shamble is the shamble assembled when the witch really needs one, as Tiffany Aching discovered, who could never make one before. If Granny Weatherwax is to be believed, she never made one at all. Couldn't get the hang of them. They got in the way.

Some witches assemble extra shambles or even buy some just to hang around for decoration; these shambles are generally not very useful, but some of these still seem to react to strong magic. When the ambient magic is really too strong, the shamble explodes.

According to the Wizards a shamble is just a crude way to ensure thaumic cusping in phase-space, but what do they know? In fact, though it sounds like a rationalisation for the random assemblage at the bottom of many handbags, plus a lot of copper coinage, a shamble seems to be a practical tool compared to the very rare and expensive thaumometer favoured by the Faculty.

Shambles are first mentioned in The Wee Free Men, but mostly in A Hat Full of Sky.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 12:08:39 AM »
Bonus Entry: Silly Looking/Sounding Weapons/Tools
Crossbow-rope gun from John Carpenter's Vampires

Special thanks to Mr.Katonic for bringing this baby to my attention. I'm with him. It looks like it came from Toys "R" Us with that safety red cap thing on it.

More entries tomorrow!

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 12:10:02 AM »
based on your pic i saw utility belt took 1st

A good guess, but I cannot deny nor confirm this.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 04:12:52 AM »
Shamble - Terry Pratchett's Discworld Series
(23 points) 1 of 12 lists- Highest Ranking- #3 Tripe H. Redux
Excellent, I love the Witch books most of all (I think I have about every one of the witches in my extended family) and, while magic isn't real, if it was the shamble would just make sense and work if it was.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 04:38:51 AM »
Glitch - Reboot

Glitch is a Key Tool from the Super Computer. It is blue and gray in color with a gold tool bar. Glitch is capable of becoming most objects, can project energy shields, and be used as a communication device. It can also hear its Guardian from great distances and can interface with other software, such as a system paint program.

Like all key tools, Glitch runs on stored energy and its battery must be recharged.

Well nice to see the list off to such a good start.  I'm glad Glitch made it.  I have always thought the Glitch was one of the coolest things ever.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 05:48:24 AM »
Glitch - Reboot

Well nice to see the list off to such a good start.  I'm glad Glitch made it.  I have always thought the Glitch was one of the coolest things ever.

Glitch almost made it onto my list, but not quite.  I always love multi-use science tools, which is what my #1 is.  Nice that my number 4 will make it, but I wonder if anyone else voted for it...

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6332
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »
DisembAudio - Rifftrax
(22 points) 1 of 12 lists- Highest ranking- #4 Compound
That's awesome. Never would have thought of him (had I sent in  list).

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 08:29:52 AM »
shamble.  Simply amazing.  Love the witch books.  Also its kinda sad dis is isnt higher on the list here in the rifftrax forum

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 08:58:26 AM »
Number one fictional tool:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(I was trying tome up with this gag way back when the list was first brought up, but couldn't think of the right character... Not as effective now, but que sera sera)