login

Author Topic: Spock's Death: most moving, tear-jerking moment in a Rifftrax film so far?  (Read 5408 times)

Watchman

I haven't watched this yet, I should be getting my disc tomorrow, but I've been wondering how they'll approach Spock's death & eulogy. This seems to be one of the films they have some respect for. I'm not a Trekker or Trekkie, but even as a nihilistic late-20's male, this scene still manages to bring me to tears. For me, it captures the essence of losing a good friend.

So I was wondering if anyone thinks this is the most emotional moment in a Rifftrax so far? I know our emotional reactions are subjective, but I'm talking... genuinely emotional instead of crassly manipulative. And if not, what do you consider the most "moving" moment in a Rifftrax film so far? I would understand if some people were moved by the ending of The Return of the King (even if, personally, it just registered impatience with me).

Thoughts?

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
nope most tear jerking moment was when the guys announced they would be riffing wickerman,  because i knew how much pain i would be in shortly. 

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
I thought they did a great job with those scenes, during the eulogy I had eyes wet from sadness and laughter at the same time.

For me there are a few scenes in The Sixth Sense that bring a tear even with the rifftrax playing, that's the only other one I can think of.

I was going to add The Dark Knight, but that lost it's emotional impact on me after the second viewing, so by the time I watched it with the rifftrax it was all funny.

As for LOTR, as much as I love those movies I don't get emotional during them, there are a few death scenes of characters you care about but they move onto the next scene pretty fast so it's not as emotional as watching Spock die and then watching the eulogy, and as for the ending in ROTK, I never get choked up there, it just seems like a proper ending.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
nope most tear jerking moment was when the guys announced they would be riffing wickerman,  because i knew how much pain i would be in shortly. 

I was going to say "I don't know, I cried pretty hard during Ice Cream Man" but you stole my thunder.  So I'll just second the Sixth Sense comment.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 57
I thought they did a great job with those scenes, during the eulogy I had eyes wet from sadness and laughter at the same time.

For me there are a few scenes in The Sixth Sense that bring a tear even with the rifftrax playing, that's the only other one I can think of.

I was going to add The Dark Knight, but that lost it's emotional impact on me after the second viewing, so by the time I watched it with the rifftrax it was all funny.

As for LOTR, as much as I love those movies I don't get emotional during them, there are a few death scenes of characters you care about but they move onto the next scene pretty fast so it's not as emotional as watching Spock die and then watching the eulogy, and as for the ending in ROTK, I never get choked up there, it just seems like a proper ending.

Do you cry every time you watch Bambi as well?  ;)

Offline WeatherServo9

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • I like my family - as a friend!
They do riff right though the scene, and if you're really caught up in the emotion then you might find that distracting.  But I found that the riffing throughout this otherwise serious movie was very good, and by the time that scene arrived I would have been disappointed if they hadn't riffed away during it.  They also riff away through the death scene of Scotty's young relative, and through the scene where all the dead bodies are discovered, and through many such serious scenes, and yet now I know that Dr. McCoy was dressed like a suburban mom, which I didn't before. 

So, well worth it, I say.

Besides, I suspect we've all seen this movie and that scene so many times that it no longer has the same impact it once did.  Don't get me wrong, it's one of the best death scenes ever filmed, but since we all know what happens in subsequent movies (he comes back, then has to interact with Chris Pine), that scene is much more about the nature of sacrifice and friendship (good things) than loss or death (bad things).
Not everybody is Steve!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
HEY HEY HEY! SPOILER ALERT IN THREAD TITLE, JERKWAD.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
BTW, Charles Foster Kane's sled was dead the whole movie.

Doctor Who?

And Kevin Spacey was someone important to a movie's plot once!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
And Kevin Spacey was someone important to a movie's plot once!

kpax?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Wait, wait. Spock dies in this?

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Seriously, while it's moving, I'd put the scene midway through I Am Legend (no spoilers) ahead of this.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Seriously, while it's moving, I'd put the scene midway through I Am Legend (no spoilers) ahead of this.

Oh, I forgot about that scene...  But again that one is pretty short, doesn't build slowly like Spock's death + eulogy.

Watchman

Okay, so we have I Am Legend & The Sixth Sense as biggest contenders.

Oh, I forgot about that scene...  But again that one is pretty short, doesn't build slowly like Spock's death + eulogy.

Yeah, plus when Shatner's tearing up they don't ask "Is he sucking on a lemon?" That comment really deflated I Am Legend's emotional impact on me, haha. I'd never be able to watch the movie un-riffed without thinking of that. Not that I ever plan to watch the film un-riffed again.

I'm curious, MartyS, what scene in The Dark Knight used to have an effect on you? Was it... oh for fuck's sake, I'll encase it in spoiler tags:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nolan's films can't draw me in emotionally. Depending on the film, maybe intellectually.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
I'm curious, MartyS, what scene in The Dark Knight used to have an effect on you? Was it... oh for fuck's sake, I'll encase it in spoiler tags

No scene in particular, first time watching it there were some feelings that built up (not real strong), but second time watching they were not there.

I've also put I Am Legend on "rifftrax only" shelf...