login

Author Topic: What things did we learn even though we weren't around to know them?  (Read 12358 times)

feinting goats

Re: What things did we learn even though we weren't around to know them?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 06:10:58 AM »
Why no Square Pegs reference?  Too obscure?

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 07:10:18 AM »
Also, somewhere in all the Star Trek watching and reading I've done the past 30 years, I remember something about the Romulans having a habit of raping the male and females prisoners for the purpose of creating a baby. The guy prisoners would knock up a Romulan babe, the female prisoners would of course get preggers.  The baby is brought to term in both cases and displayed to the prisoner and then, only then, is the prisoner killed.  The baby is usually kept alive though.  This is especially horrific for the Vulcans because of their honor or whatever, but was also used to explain the whole Romulan Tasha Yar thing in Next Gen.

So this could explain why so many Romulan halfbreeds exist in the Trekverse.

It can't be all that grim and dark though. There may be the possibility that some Romulans like to be more like their Vulcan cousins and act like civilized sentient beings and fell in love with a Vulcan instead of a Romulan. Why does it all have to be so uncomfortably gruesome?
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
Why does it all have to be so uncomfortably gruesome?

they are the villains
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 04:11:49 PM »
Just  a general question about something that has been bothering me.

When Chekov and the other captain beamed down to the planet, they were in the middle of a sandstorm and beamed down without issue.   Why did they have to run out of the shelter and into Khan's men?   Couldnt they have beamed up from inside the shelter or pressed their com badges to beam up right away when they saw the men?    And I assume since they knew it was a sandstorm (but not which planet it was apparently), they had to have some ability to beam up.   Er, in case any of the many dozens of life forms on the planet (that they could not detect from the enterprise) attacked them.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »
Just  a general question about something that has been bothering me.

When Chekov and the other captain beamed down to the planet, they were in the middle of a sandstorm and beamed down without issue.   Why did they have to run out of the shelter and into Khan's men?   Couldnt they have beamed up from inside the shelter or pressed their com badges to beam up right away when they saw the men?    And I assume since they knew it was a sandstorm (but not which planet it was apparently), they had to have some ability to beam up.   Er, in case any of the many dozens of life forms on the planet (that they could not detect from the enterprise) attacked them.

The shelter was metal it also seemed to have a power supply of some kind,some types of energy and metals block transporters.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »
Only because the storm was messing with the transporter's power.  They could barely transport down in the storm as it was, being in a metal box pushed it beyond the limit.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »
I learned that a super-intelligent human being won't realize he's in space and has three-dimensions to interact with.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 05:06:50 PM »
I learned that a super-intelligent human being won't realize he's in space and has three-dimensions to interact with.

The 3rd dimension was impossible for him because he knew these guys were lurking after the the 4th.

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
I learned I needed to re-watch "Space Seed" to remember what the hell that bit about Saavik changing her hairstyle was all about (referencing Khan convincing Lt. McGivers to change her hairstyle) besides showing off the fact that Kirstie Alley used to be rather attractive...

I also learned that the movie thankfully gave Khan a much better "final defeat" than the episode, where all his superior intellect and strength couldn't match a pipe to the face from Kirk.

Also, I learned it may have been too much to expect one of the guys to say "Fuckin' seatbelts, how do they work?"

Also, what the hell does Kirk say to Bones before Bones replies "What? You didn't like my act?" I've listened to Kirk's line like 10 times and all I can make out is what sounds like a mumbled "Physician."
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:55:51 PM by TTYT »

Offline tannerwaterbury

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 03:24:42 AM »

Also, what the hell does Kirk say to Bones before Bones replies "What? You didn't like my act?" I've listened to Kirk's line like 10 times and all I can make out is what sounds like a mumbled "Physician."

Physician, Heal Thyself.
BALOK IS NOT AMUSED WITH YOU!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2011, 08:10:48 PM »
I learned that the filmmakers thought that after the devastating emotional death of Spock, we would give a rats ass about how pansy-assed Kirk's son felt about knowing his Dad.  :P
You have a movie with the best scene in the entire franchise, the death of the best character the series ever had, and you end your movie with Shatner and William Katt's stunt double awkwardly hugging. DUMBASS!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2660
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »
I learned that the filmmakers thought that after the devastating emotional death of Spock, we would give a rats ass about how pansy-assed Kirk's son felt about knowing his Dad.  :P
You have a movie with the best scene in the entire franchise, the death of the best character the series ever had, and you end your movie with Shatner and William Katt's stunt double awkwardly hugging. DUMBASS!

That never really bothered me as much as the actual last scene, with the stupid "I feel young" line.     They should have ended with the quote from A Tale of Two Cities, cut it before Bones asks "how do you feel?".

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2011, 12:47:54 AM »

That never really bothered me as much as the actual last scene, with the stupid "I feel young" line.     They should have ended with the quote from A Tale of Two Cities, cut it before Bones asks "how do you feel?".

The scene actually went longer than that originally.  It originally ended with someone asking Kirk for a course heading, and Kirk replying "Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning."  Which I think would have been an even less appropriate way to end the film.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2011, 06:07:04 AM »

The scene actually went longer than that originally.  It originally ended with someone asking Kirk for a course heading, and Kirk replying "Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning."  Which I think would have been an even less appropriate way to end the film.
A random quote from a book to make the movie seem smart? That would be an appropriate ending for this movie.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2011, 09:29:14 AM »

A random quote from a book to make the movie seem smart? That would be an appropriate ending for this movie.

A children's book, though.  It seems like too whimsical a sentiment following the death of a major character.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104