Author Topic: What things did we learn even though we weren't around to know them?  (Read 12365 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
Like how Khan knew Chekov, even though Chekov wasn't in the cast during "Space Seed's" airing (the TOS episode Khan comes from.)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
Re: What things did we learn even though we weren't around to know them?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:09:57 PM »
I always just reasonably assumed Chekhov was a crew member elsewhere on the ship and just never seen.  Yes, I know he wasn't cast in the show, but from the Trek Universe standpoint, it makes sense.

Certainly more sense than the "Khan went though all starfleet records" explanation.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:05:58 PM »
Yeah, that never bothered me for the reason directly mentioned above.

I learned that when the 6th planet in a solar system explodes Starfleet will reasonably assume the 5th planet is the ... 6th?  This wallbanger got addressed in the novelization by having it be the 4th planet that exploded so that Starfleet would assume the 5th planet was the 4th.  Which, you know, actually makes sense. LOL
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:06:32 AM »
I learned that when the 6th planet in a solar system explodes Starfleet will reasonably assume the 5th planet is the ... 6th?  This wallbanger got addressed in the novelization by having it be the 4th planet that exploded so that Starfleet would assume the 5th planet was the 4th.  Which, you know, actually makes sense. LOL

On that same note, since riffing always points out movie weaknesses even in your favorite ones (I never noticed how many corridor scenes there were in Alien until they riffed it), here goes:

I learned that future navigation computers really suck.  I mean how could a starship navigation system not notice an entire planet was missing?  With all the sensors and navigation computers a red flag should have gone up somewhere, "hey, these planets aren't were there supposed to be".  I had DOS based programs 20 years ago that could model our solar system accurately for any date you put in.  Well, I guess if you are going to do one bad science thing in your science fiction movie then go all out, planets don't have a lot of influence on each others orbits, so if one were to go boom it would only change the orbits of the other planets a little, and any shock wave strong enough to move a planets orbit more than a little bit would rip that planet apart.

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 03:27:54 AM »
Don't forget that the computers apparently couldn't tell the difference between a tiny particle of matter on the surface of Ceti Alpha Five and, you know, an entire colony of people...

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 03:50:19 AM »
My thread title was a joke on a commonly used question on this movie. ;)

Anyway, I learned that 23rd century apartments are going to look a lot like 1980s bachelor pads.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:51:14 AM »
Don't forget that the computers apparently couldn't tell the difference between a tiny particle of matter on the surface of Ceti Alpha Five and, you know, an entire colony of people...

LOL  Good point.

Offline WeatherServo9

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • I like my family - as a friend!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
I learned that Spock died even before the opening credits were done.  Son of a...
Not everybody is Steve!

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »
I learned that wide screen monitors were a passing fad of the 21st century (That's us).
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 05:54:31 PM »
I always just reasonably assumed Chekhov was a crew member elsewhere on the ship and just never seen.  Yes, I know he wasn't cast in the show, but from the Trek Universe standpoint, it makes sense.

Certainly more sense than the "Khan went though all starfleet records" explanation.

(Check his copy of "The Nitpicker's Guide to Classic Trek" by Phil Farrand.)

Yeah, the "Chekov joined the crew sometime between "Mudd's Women" and 'Space Seed' but wasn't on the bridge crew until later in the series" is the explanation Farrand gives, and he's out to point out to issues in the film. (The Michael Okuda commentary, BTW, suggests that Chekov kept Khan was in line ahead of him in the john and kept him waiting for too long and that's why he remembers him. No, really.)

Me? I learned that the guys have it out for the folks at Maxis Software. Oh, and Kevin really needs to start taking Promethazine before he enters the studio.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:47:16 PM by Compound »

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 06:34:29 PM »
I learned that lifeless planets are substantially more uncommon than everything I thought I knew about Astronomy had led me to believe. And if it's so hard to find suitable planets to use it on for it's intended purpose, what exactly did they imagine the Federation would want it for.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 08:34:26 PM »
I JUST started it... and I learned already that there are apparently other Star Trek riffs I don't know about.

They said this is their FIFTH "return trip" ???  Or are they referring to the two "Presents" Trek features?? (the fan-made ones. good riffs)
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 08:50:32 PM »
I learned that Kirk's charisma is such that even someone who's never met him would rather turn the gun on himself than cause anything approaching harm to Kirk.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »
I JUST started it... and I learned already that there are apparently other Star Trek riffs I don't know about.

They said this is their FIFTH "return trip" ??? 

II, V, VI, Generations and Trek 2009. With the RP, that'd be 7.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 10:50:13 PM »
(Check his copy of "The Nitpicker's Guide to Classic Trek" by Phil Farrand.)

Awesome writer, awesome guides to Next Gen and X-Files in addition to that one.  Too bad he punked out at the first sign of legal trouble and stopped putting out those guides.