Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 102774 times)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
Re: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet
« Reply #750 on: October 20, 2014, 10:25:40 PM »
Not too excited.  Why bring in a new writer that is unfamiliar with the show? 

Well, least Meghan won't be writing it, so maybe it will be more than a forced Twilight Story, and maybe Celestia and Luna won't get captured for a change...

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
So, season 5 is underway.  I haven't watched the first 2 yet, still debating if I'll get the season pass on Amazon or wait for it to show up on Netflix....

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
Was a pretty good episode.  Was not another "look how awesome Twilight is" two-parter, and instead a return to the "six friends on an adventure" story. 

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
I caught the premier at BABSCon. No finer way to take in ponies than being surrounded by two thousand other Bronies.

A pretty good episode, and just the sort that I like: less of the big action beats from the last finale (which isn't one of the shows strengths, no matter how much the internet springs for it) and more for character reactions and smaller-scale stories. If this is a sign of things to come for the season, then I'm all for it.

Definitely glad to have this back:

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
My first reaction when I saw that village in the middle of nowhere was "It's becoming The Clomping Dead! Stay out of Terminus!"

Loved the debut, it actually pulled off a creepy vibe in the beginning, angry suspicious Pinky was awesome, it was a great story arc for Fluttershy, and I want to see more of the villain this season.

On a semi-related note, right after the premiere episodes, they also premiered the My Little Pony Movie from 1986, coincidentally the same movie I'm about to release as a riff a week from Friday. /shill
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
I caught the premier at BABSCon. No finer way to take in ponies than being surrounded by two thousand other Bronies.

A pretty good episode, and just the sort that I like: less of the big action beats from the last finale (which isn't one of the shows strengths, no matter how much the internet springs for it) and more for character reactions and smaller-scale stories. If this is a sign of things to come for the season, then I'm all for it.

S4 finale was little more than a Star Wars Prequel.  Nothing makes any sense, and all anyone remembers is the fight scene.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:45:31 PM by Rainbow Dash »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage

S4 finale was little more than a Star Wars Prequel.  Nothing makes any sense, any all anyone remembers is the fight scene.

Ouch, that's being a bit cruel, I'd say it's more like the 2nd Hobbit movie...  ;D ;)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Watched the 2nd Equestria Girls movie on Netflix.

I thought it started out very boring, then got better by the end.  So overall probably about equal to the first one.

Still haven't watched any season 5, going to wait till it shows up on Netflix.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
Season 5 has been off to a very excellent start.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

Season 5 has been off to a very excellent start.

And been rolling along quite well since then. I've finally caught up on all the episodes, and have nothing but positive reviews for them.

I was especially taken for the hodge-podge of pop culture shoutouts in the new Discord episode (The Shining in ponies? Sure, why the hay not).

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
I'm still reeling that they introduced the Smooze. After spending a few months on a riff mocking that blob suddenly it's relevant again.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Relaxing Dragon

So, how about that 100th episode?

It's pretty much a textbook example of a whole mess of fan pandering, but dammit, they made it work. It was fun and clever and featured what was actually the right balance of that aforementioned pandering and some real surprise directions. Not to mention it had a genuinely solid ending built on appreciating the little background world the show has built up over time (a lot of which existed mostly in the heads of Bronies until now, so seeing that recognized felt even nicer).

Also, was not expecting the return of the Lebowski ponies, which, much like the rest of the episode, walked that fine line between too much and just right, and it worked wonderfully. A shame that the Walter pony didn't talk, but then, I can't imagine him saying anything that would be permissible on the episode anyway (also: he rolled on a Saturday! All kinds of wrong, that).

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Only thing that could have been better is giving Derpy back her name, but I get it. Loved that she immediately ran to the Doctor for help. Somehow, even after the show created a Rose pony to walk with him, everyone seems to agree that Derpy belongs as Doctor Whooves' companion.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
They still had Doctor Pony with Rose at the Wedding though. 

Offline Relaxing Dragon

They still had Doctor Pony with Rose at the Wedding though.

When talking about the power of love, no less.